Kid Wrecked My Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid Wrecked My Van

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My heart goes out to those w/ no transpo because I feel trapped. Nobody was hurt, Jake hit a parked truck that was parked so messed up that Jake didn't get a ticket. I didn't see the van, hear it looks bad. Front wheels going different directions, bumper, hood, front quarter panel, front door. Bet it messed up the electric sliding door too.

Shouldn't have let him drive it. His starter went out on his car. My husband has a big Dodge Ram 4x4 hemi environment killer, I call it Friend o' Bin Laden. We don't let Jake drive it because of the hemi, big potential for trouble there w/ an 18 year old boy. At least my husband can drive any vehicle, though. Pretty hard to rent a minivan w/ a left foot accelerator.

I'm supposed to go to NM in 10 days for a disabled scuba session, I'm the guinea pig for the divemasters just learning the disabled stuff. (Because I'm already a diver and incomplete injury, so I can swim. I'm the Starter Gimp.) I'll get there if I have to ride the bus. Me, my dog, my wheelchair, my dive gear, and good old Greyhound.

My friend and dive buddy said "Now you know. He doesn't drive that van, not even if his hair is on fire!" Which makes no sense, yet makes more sense than letting Jake drive my van.

Woe is me. Anyone got some cheese for this whine?
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Thankfully, he's alive and well. I hope you get your wheels back soon.

Comment

Sheesh, gal! I got cheese. I just fixed a batch of nachos to enjoy while reading CC. Care to join me?

When I got evaluated for driving my trainer said my left foot was good enough for left foot controls, but I would never find a rental, and suggested hand controls for me. After hearing your story, I'm glad I followed her advice. Can you drive with hand controls?

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais
        Thankfully, he's alive and well. I hope you get your wheels back soon.
        Todd, have I ever mentioned that I think you are one on the nicest, brightest people on CC? Because I do. Just wanted to say so.
        Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by SoFla
          Sheesh, gal! I got cheese. I just fixed a batch of nachos to enjoy while reading CC. Care to join me?

When I got evaluated for driving my trainer said my left foot was good enough for left foot controls, but I would never find a rental, and suggested hand controls for me. After hearing your story, I'm glad I followed her advice. Can you drive with hand controls?
          I'm sure I can but I'm not trained. I drove CLC's truck with them once. Does it have to give you permission on your driver's license?
          Blog:

Comment

Betheny, is this a double whammy with insurance also likely to go up for you as well as your son?

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Surely you can get it fixed in ten days Beth, give the wrench monkey a blast of your avatar smile and a big eye lash flutter!

Comment

Poor kid...i know what its like to wreck the car at 18 twice LOL... Anyway hopefully you can bat your eyes at the mechanic and he will get it done speedily. I hope the insurance dont sock it to ya...I am waiting on mine to go up because someone hit my kids new truck in a parking lot. Have fun scubaing I am envious.... I will be only 11 miles from New Mexico when I move next week...woo hoo!!!!
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Thank god he didn't get hurt. But boy now you scared the sh*t out of me because my son just got his license and he is 18 also.
                  sigpic

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Comment

Oh beth, glad he is ok. so far mine have only had fender benders.

re handcontrols, i think it depends on the state. in ct, yes, you need to be trained and assessed byt the dmv. and it takes FOREVER to get it done!

they probably won't let jake drive a rental, or i would suggest having him drive you to NM.
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

In FL, I was required to take lessons before installation of equipment on my car. It is not like that in all states. My license is noted that I need hand controls and eye glasses to be road legal. There is also a sticker on my windshield warning anyone driving to NOT fiddle with the hand controls unless trained. FL = law suits.
                      Originally posted by betheny
                      I'm sure I can but I'm not trained. I drove CLC's truck with them once. Does it have to give you permission on your driver's license?

Comment

OH boy! I'm so glad he's OK. He probably feels terrible about the van. Hopefully you could get it fixed in time for your trip. Now that seems like fun. Would love to hear the details. I have to look at a map, where do they scuba dive in NM? The van is a real bummer but I'm glad you have your trip to look forward to. Take care and you deserve a little whine! Nancy

Comment

Glad he's okay. Sucks about the van though.

I'm not sure about hand controls--I drove for 3 years without a restriction on my license--but that was because I just taught myself how to drive with them and my pre-accident license was still valid so I never went to tell the DMV. I probably would have gotten a ticket if I had been pulled over. (I'm not advocating that, but it was a don't-get-caught-and-don't-worry-about-it type of deal.)
                          If there is light
                          it will find
                          you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Bethany, I am so sorry to hear about your van, but glad your son is OK. I don't know what I would do without my van in every sense of the word. Physically, but psychologically too. Without it the trapped feelings would take over. I'm glad you still plan on being the dive guinea pig. It sounds like fun, and a good diversion too if your wheels are still being fixed. Hang in there.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear Beth.

But seriously: wandering wheelchairs, crazy kids, taking the Greyhound with your dog - your life would make an awesome reality TV show!
                              www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X