X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch this video if you want your dreams crushed

Man Vs. Highway?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771093

whoa looks like some crazy lava baja or something!

Comment

WTF am i missing? dreams crushed?
      "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

way out in the wild

Comment

Well, he definitely looked very careful, jumping all over those lava bridges.
          Dreams crushed?
          _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
          Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Comment

I wonder about his "survival" shows. At least they are interesting to watch.
            C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by trainman
              I wonder about his "survival" shows. At least they are interesting to watch.
              I think the Discovery Channel has another headache.
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
              --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
              ––Paul Nussbaum
              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I had my doubts about the authenticity of the "Survivor Man" show. And besides, anyone can "do" fives days in the locations he was "dropped" of at... if you have enough water. I'm sure they "scoped" out the location that he was left at beforehand (the desert episode where he had a bicycle) so knew there was a stream of water nearby.

And only an idiot would travel into polar bear country without at least a .44 magnum strapped to their waist. Man is natural prey for polar bears! And on that episode he was given enough seal or whale meat to get him through. He didn't capture any food by himself so how did that prove he had "super" survival skills? There was snow (water) all around him and he was dressed in authentic eskimo outdoor attire. And probably manufactured polypropylene thermal underwear beneath it. Big deal, he made a windbreak. Duh. Takes a genius to figure that one out.

Put 'im out there for 30 days and see how he fares. It seemed to me as though he learned his "survival" skills from a book.

Another "real" reality show. Yep.

Bob.
                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I think survivorman is way more legit than bear grylls. Survivorman is by himself whereas BG is with a crew and I saw him wearing a life preserver. You guys didn't get that he was filming 20 feet from the highway?

Comment

I think survivorman is way more legit than bear grylls. Survivorman is by himself whereas BG is with a crew and I saw him wearing a life preserver.

Cliff notes from the video: He was caught filming 20 feet from the highway. Bear Grylls is a phony.

Comment

Originally posted by mattblan
                      I think survivorman is way more legit than bear grylls. Survivorman is by himself whereas BG is with a crew and I saw him wearing a life preserver.

Cliff notes from the video: He was caught filming 20 feet from the highway.
                      Caught it, hated to see it. I'm now scarred for life.

Watched a Survivorman last night. (Yes, on Saturday night. I sooooo need a life.) Anyway, Survivorman just happened upon the old wreckage of a plane which provided him shelter in the snowy tundra.

How fortuitous.

I want to think Survivorman is real, but part of me suspects he's no more real than Bart Simpson.

Comment

Originally posted by mattblan

Cliff notes from the video: He was caught filming 20 feet from the highway. Bear Grylls is a phony.

himself?

cameraman/woman

who,climbs,the,mountains&trees,first?

Comment

Eh, its all just entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. I suppose you could give Les Stroud extra points for filming himself and taking his own camera as compared to Grylls and his posing for a camera crew. Bottom line is, both shows are controlled by lawyers who can't let reality intefere with their perceived notion of liability and safety. Too bad.

I did like the Georgia swamp episode tho, and espescially when he happened upon that big Eastern diamondback rattler "Oh shit! its a SNAKE!" (whack whack whack)......"mmm, tastes like chicken"

Tom

Comment

The thing is, Survivorman tells you in the beginning of the show that the plane was flown in to simulate a wreck. At least he's not telling people to swim down rapids without life vests when he himself wouldn't do it. You can tell that Bear is rubbing off on Les though. He is starting to eat all kinds of weird stuff now.

Comment

I had my doubts about the authenticity of the "Survivor Man" show. And besides, anyone can "do" fives days in the locations he was "dropped" of at...
                              Bob, you seem to be confusing Survivorman with Man vs. Wild.. But to address your doubts of Survivorman, for one thing, a person cannot eat a bunch of snow to hydrate themselves because the snow will cause hypothermia quickly. And "Survivorman" Les did say he had a rifle with him to protect himself against polar bears. He goes out for 7 days, not 5, and he doesn't have water with him. I don't believe for a second in your contention that just anyone could last 7 days in many of the locations he's dropped at. People die all the time in situations that seem easy to deal with. Hypothermia is always something to be concerned about when camping, hiking, etc. even in warm weather, and people die in situations they could have survived if only they'd made a few key decisions. But I digress...

He sets up several cameras to film himself, and yes, he has a safety system in case he gets into trouble, so his crew can rescue him if necessary. That's not decietful, it's just smart. His shosw is set up to show real-life scenarios someone might find themselves in, and I think it's pretty legit, even if he sometimes gets melodramatic. I enjoy the show, and the fact is, he'd probab;y have an easier time surviving in some of those scenarios if he didn't have to deal with the cameras and filming.

Man vs. Wild is entertaining and has always seemed more sensational than practical, but no big deal. I do think this video makes him look bad and makes it look like he's misrepresenting things, but it's not like he's out there saying "I'm fighting for survival."

I also like Going Tribal on Discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              X