The sh*t has hit the fan ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sh*t has hit the fan ....

The sh*t has hit the fan with me and the city of Jacksonville, NC.
    After all the heartache and BS they have put me through over building my ramp, their final decision was, they CAN'T build me a ramp unless I pay $4500.00 and their not happy with the makeshift one I have now.

This was after I signed paperwork stating that the cost would be forgiven and I would owe NOTHING.
    They gave me a BS excuse that HUD wouldn't allow it. (just like all their other lies and bs they told me in the past)
    BS, I have a right to access to my home where ever I live.

The girl I have been working with (she's been out the last 2 months to cancer) came back last week and the first thing she said was "Is Ms. Bell's ramp built?".
    Well, you can guess the "Duh" answer she got from the supervisor. (the poor womans been pulling for me with no luck).
    She finally told me to file a complaint with the City of Jacksonville.
    I did and the newspaper is interested in the BS I've been through and their investigating and writing a story about how I've been treated, and how many more folks in this town are possibly treated the same way.
    The reporter said she's noticed that the handicap are pretty much treated like 2nd class citizens around here.

I have successfully opened a large can of worms and I hope I end up spreading them all over town.
    I'll post the story when it is published.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic
    www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

I love it! Way to show them that you're not a second or third class citizen! I love it when we 'stand up' for ourselves.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Way to go JC.
      No one should have to deal with the BS.GET-R-DONE
      Be yourself!!!
      http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
      BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
      Sponsored Athlete
      http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
      www.genegvd.com

Comment

Pam,

Contact this group. Tell Fred Shotz I pointed you their way. He'll get it done in a heartbeat.

ADA Consulting Associates

Headquarters Address:

3389 Sheridan Street # 168
        Hollywood , FL 33021
        USA

www.adaconsulting.com
        Phone:
        (954) 981-6100
        Fax:
        (954) 241-5038
        My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

You go girl.
          Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Thanks Jen, I'll hang on to the link and keep him in mind. But, in this case the ADA can't help. I called them Friday. They told me they only handle businesses and public access issues.
            When it comes to home/living conditions, I have to contact HUD.
            Getting through to HUD is like trying to get the President to take your personal phone call. That, or the person on the line can barely speak a lick of English and your can't understand 3/4 of what she said.
            If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic

Comment

Don't stop with the newspapers! Call the TV, and radio stations. If you are going to open the can, open it all the way! The madia loves stuff like this.
              "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Comment

Did it already but haven't heard from the TV stations....

sigpic

Comment

When working with the Feds, it never hurts to call a staffer at your local Congressperson's office and let them know what is (or is not) happening. They will look into it, esp. when you remind them that next year is an election year.....

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Never thought of that, thanks KLD. LOL

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                      When working with the Feds, it never hurts to call a staffer at your local Congressperson's office and let them know what is (or is not) happening. They will look into it, esp. when you remind them that next year is an election year.....

(KLD)
                      .... and it might not hurt to mention your the Mama of a Marine ..... I too have wondered though how come none of your family and friends haven't helped you out here (I hope your not all alone in this although I do believe you might all be in the same boat financially) ... when Bill was first hurt ... hell .. his buddies built him a ramp for our home and at the hunting cabin .... we were very fortunate I know ... good luck ....

Obieone
                      ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                      Jane Siberry

Comment

POssible Solutions

When you become disabled and are a tenant, the city isn't legally required to adapt your home to meet your physical needs. Neither is your landlord. You often must move. That may bite it, but others are not responsible for providing what we need to access our homes upon onset of disability.

You might find what you're looking for very economically here:

www.discountramps.com I'd probbaly go with this outfit if money is a concern and it is for many of us.

Discount Ramps offers ramps and threshold ramps. From what I'm reading, shipping is free on most orders. I did a quick check and a threshold ramp is under $80. Not bad.

You may also wish to check with Jacksonville's Community Development agency about applying for a very low interest loan to purchase what you need. As you and your spouse are both disabled and you neither work at SGA levels as defined by Social Security guidelines, it's almost certain your income is below the roughly $30,000 or less annual income requirement (for a household of two) for the low interest loan for a ramp. You must meet HUD guidelines to qualify for one of these.

Did you contact the center for independent living for your area? They can probably steer you in the right direction for ramp resources. Our CIL has a ramp program. Yours may, too. Ramps are built here for roughly $500.

Have you contacted United Cerebral Palsy in your area? Yes, it's true you don't have CP. However, UCP provides service in a much broader scope than it once did. UCP provides ramps in many communities for disabled people who own or rent their homes whether they have CP or not. UCP helped a CC member buy an expensive piece of exercise equipment (FES bike) through a grant they offered. That CC member doesn't have cerebral palsy. She's SCI, a quad.

UCP was going to build a ramp for me when I was going to move in Nashville to a new house. Yes, I have cerebral palsy, but it's not why I'm in this chair. SCI is why I roll. UCP provides ramps and threshold ramps in many communities for people with a variety of physical disabilities necessitating full-time chair use. UCP didn't build mine because I moved to a more accessible apartment in a different city.

Did you call Fred Shotz as JenJen suggested? The guy is a consultant, not a fed. He can potentially provide assistance to get you what you need. He may work with the feds/know how to get what you need accomplished, but isn't a government employee.

What happened with the CC member's offer of help to build a ramp?

Have you contacted the area Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts offices? Boy Scout troops are often looking for service projects as are Girl Scouts.

What about area churches and temples? Many will assist others who have needs not met elsewhere. You might also check with Catholic assistance organizations. Again, many provide assistance with unmet needs.

What about your local building contractors association? The one here has built ramps for people. In return, they often receive feel good press coverage. It's a win-win for everyone.

None of these suggestions may pan out, but then again, it only takes one and you'll have what you need to safely enter and exit your apartment. Or one of the groups you contact may not offer what you need, but they may know of someone else who can.

As for the $4,500 pricetag quoted to the Community Development agency, that's obscene. The contractor who gave that estimate was obviously hoping for a lot of coin for very little actual work.

Pam, you're obviously creative as evidenced by your sewing. You may need to apply some of that same creativity to have a ramp for your apartment, too. It's likely much more affordable than you and the Community Development agency believe.

If all else fails, as unfair and frusrtating as it may seem, you may need to move.

Comment

P.S. A new fiscal year just started for most agencies and organizations so now is a great time to apply for assitance with a ramp and threshold ramp.

Comment

Pam,

Trust me, Fred works miracles. It's worth the phone call....
                            My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

You may also wish to check with Jacksonville's Community Development agency about applying for a very low interest loan to purchase what you need.

LOLOL, Thats who I'm fighting with Mem. Their the one's who said they would help and would do it on a HUD grant. But, their downfall was. The contractors bid was 1400. and they tried to squeeze 4500. out of HUD (to make some money). When HUD wouldn't take their boggus price they tried to tell me HUD wouldn't give me the grant and I would have to pay 4500. over the next 5 months. AFTER the paperwork was signed to have the ramp built with the cost forgivin.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X