Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adino
    Adino's Analysis,

For strongest belief, we have 18 out of 32, one third of yea votes or one sixth of all votes.
    For strongest non belief, we have 11 definate and 3 hybred type, 80% of all non belief votes or about a third of all votes.

Consesus - there is not much middle ground with the nay votes compared with the yea vcotes. Further - conventions seem to be more nay in Europe, maybe by as much as half of all nay votes.
    I think the Americans are much more religious than the European, at least the North Europeans. I do not know anybody, friends or family who is going to church on Sundays. I know one person who believes in God and then I know a female priest who has a SCI. 50% of the Norwegian people baptise their children and that is more a tradition, it has nothing to do with God for most of them. It like safety, maybe there is a God so if he excist at least the child is bapised.

But that is my opinion, maybe Leif has another one. He is living in different part of Norway.
    I have baptised my smallest son. That was 11 years ago and I have not been in the church since. The older ones are not baptised, their father was a not religious Greek Orthodox so we skipped it.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Woman from Europe - thanks, I think there's maybe more innocence in Europe than in America actually. We have to really keep our nose to the grind stone , Me hoping politics gets busy finding a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string
        What I ment was it is interesting reading. Quite entertaining, actually.
        Indeed. The Song of Solomon is beautiful.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe
          I think the Americans are much more religious than the European, at least the North Europeans. I do not know anybody, friends or family who is going to church on Sundays. I know one person who believes in God and then I know a female priest who has a SCI. 50% of the Norwegian people baptise their children and that is more a tradition, it has nothing to do with God for most of them. It like safety, maybe there is a God so if he excist at least the child is bapised.

But that is my opinion, maybe Leif has another one. He is living in different part of Norway.
          I have baptised my smallest son. That was 11 years ago and I have not been in the church since. The older ones are not baptised, their father was a not religious Greek Orthodox so we skipped it.
          The general rule is the further south one goes to what’s called the Bible belt (it’s named that here as well) the crazier evangelists one will find. Wonder what’s wrong with some living in the south in a country, maybe they feel at the bottom and have to cope with it in some ways, -anyway, the west is best (lol). But as for our Bible belt area, there have always been strong connections to the US from those areas, thus bringing back the evangelical traditions, and like we know, the evangelical movement was engineered in the US. Maybe there are more innocent and na├»ve people down south, but I really don’t know this for sure. I only know that 9 out of our 11 bishops supported the new stem cell research law, and that is fine by me

Comment

Bavaria, way down south, is much more religious than northern Germany. The main conservative party in Germany is called the CDU (Christlich Demokratische Union) and the Bavarians have there own version called the CSU (Christlich Soziale Union).
            "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

The Bible is very true/real. I've been living by God's principles for years and he has not let me down.

Comment

Yes

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life (John 8:12). If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32-33)."

We believe in Jesus and his teachings for they are for us the moral principles that guide and lead our way spiritually and morally.

We should believe in goodness, the light which makes our life a bliss and a place worth-living.

You should ask this question to one who suffered and lived through many ordeals in life, one who trusted the love of man, the ways of man, the glory of man. But in the end found that all that was in vain, indeed it was and is.

Jesus represents for us someone who believes in a better tomorrow, the backup, the wall that we lean on when all the earthly matters gather against us in a way that you only find one way out and that is your faith and hope.

What Jesus offered people in very early times of our world is a chance to be better, to love each other, to look for the better future - to be beautiful inside before outside. Tell me you don't believe in that and I will question your humanity.

So see all the books tell us; is to be humane before humans, moral before materialistic.... (You should endure an experience first to grasp the depth of these spiritual things).

All the human advances in every field has failed filling the gaps in the human soul as one word of wisdom and beauty did.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life (John 5:24)."

Ironiclly all the western values are truely based on these preachings while in the mean time, the western population is the least religious! Look at the so-called third world countries and all their adverse conditions and you''ll find christianity in a coherent state as the first days of the desciples.

"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst (John 6:35). Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life (John 6:47)."

Thoughts from a non-religious person who believes in good and has endured & still endures hardships as long as he can ..

Comment

Whoever voted for #1 has obviously never read the Bible.

Comment

[quote=knightrider]
                    I just think someone was bored on day and decided to write a wierd book, Little did he know that the book made people worship it. Sad really and full of shit. no offence to the people who believe in it, but everyone is different.
                    I believe that people are just too lazy to explore the history of the bible. They rather turn a blind eye then to admit that the bible can be the word of God.

How many of the bible prophecies has been fullfilled?
                    How many are yet to be fullfilled?
                    http://www.100prophecies.org/

The bible was written by over 40 authors in 3 languages on 3 continents over a span of 1,500 years. Here are a list of links that will give a wider perspective of what the bible contains and historial facts.

http://www.everystudent.com/features/bible.html#arch
                    http://www.allabouttruth.org/bible-is-true-faq.htm

Mankind has put a red blemish on religion, god, and the bible.
                    Many are just not interested enough to seek out the truth.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by jbinny
                      great, here we go again
                      au contriare - I think most people would be very surprised reading NT. A teaching that emodies the concept of loving your neighbor as you'd love yourself is sound philosophy to me. There isn't too much imho to get up in arms about when you take some time to read.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyMack
                        Now if you clocked somebody in the head and killed them with the Bible, well it could be entered into court as evidence

JimmyMack
                        LOL
                        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

[quote=JCAT]
                          Originally posted by knightrider

I believe that people are just too lazy to explore the history of the bible. They rather turn a blind eye then to admit that the bible can be the word of God.

How many of the bible prophecies has been fullfilled?
                          How many are yet to be fullfilled?
                          http://www.100prophecies.org/

The bible was written by over 40 authors in 3 languages on 3 continents over a span of 1,500 years. Here are a list of links that will give a wider perspective of what the bible contains and historial facts.

http://www.everystudent.com/features/bible.html#arch
                          http://www.allabouttruth.org/bible-is-true-faq.htm

Mankind has put a red blemish on religion, god, and the bible.
                          Many are just not interested enough to seek out the truth.

J.
                          Id like to see you defend some of those quotes in those links you posted that allegedly prove the accuracy of the Bible. Start with the Dinosaur reference, thats always a good one to shoot down straight away.

Comment

In the new testament, religion is grace & ethics is gratitude..

Comment

Which Bible - the Jewish one, The various Christian ones (King James' version isn't the only one), the Book of Mormon? How many people have been killed throughout history over the very question of who's Holy Book is THE true one (if any even is or was THE one?) Currently, it's Islamists seeking a global caliphate because they're convinced the Quran is IT, and anyone who believes differently is an infidel worthy of dhimmitude or death. It used to be Christians who colonized much of the world, and killed or forcibly converted heathens. History does repeat itself.

Personally, I feel religion shouldn't be forced on anyone. Believe what you feel is right, while respecting the right of others to believe differently. With that attitude, people of all religions, and atheists, can live together in harmony, as is pretty much the case here in the U.S. We have a secular government, yet we have religious people of all denominations among the citizenry who rarely have to fear that their neighbors of different faiths will try to kill them or destroy their churches/synagogues/mosques/et al (unfortunately, there is currently fear that Islamists will attack synagogues or other Jewish sites, as well as churches, which is a shame.)
                              Last edited by alan; 4 Jul 2007, 2:44 PM.
                              Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

[quote=IanTPoulter]
                                Id like to see you defend some of those quotes in those links you posted that allegedly prove the accuracy of the Bible. Start with the Dinosaur reference, thats always a good one to shoot down straight away.
                                This is so cute I couldn't pass it up. It's easy reading.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/behemoth.html

J.

Comment

Working...
                                X