How to ship a power chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ship a power chair?

Let's say you wanted to have a power chair shipped from the east coast to the west coast. You didn't want to spend a ton of money, yet you wanted to feel like it would be shipped safely. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Originally posted by Shannon
    Let's say you wanted to have a power chair shipped from the east coast to the west coast. You didn't want to spend a ton of money, yet you wanted to feel like it would be shipped safely. Any ideas on the best way to do this?
    I'm not sure what constitutes a ton of money, but shipping by truck is the typical way. It would have to be crated. If you know someone who has a business and does a lot of shipping would probably be the cheapest if you go through them.

https://www.freight101.com/faqs.php

Comment

When I bought my Bounder Plus off ebay, he shipped it from Idaho to east Tn by standard freight(big truck). It was just strapped to a pallet, wrapped with saran wrap(can't think of the name,lol) had a cardboard box taped around the outside and that was it. The battery cables were disconnected.
      I backed my truck up to the trailer, he 0ff-ramped it into the bed and I drove into the driveway and unloaded it myself. There was zero damage.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Thanks for the link Rusty. It should be helpful.

Capn, do you know if the guy you bought it from packaged it up himself, or did the shipping company do it? I'm assuming the shipping companies would be willing to pack it up (for a fee of course), yes? And I assume that I can get shipping insurance... I hope.

It's an iBOT that I want shipped, and I'm kinda worried about the shipping part of it. If damage happens, I have to pay for a specially trained tech to come fix it. Repairs could be expensive considering there aren't a lot of iBOTs out there.

Comment

Shannon, you could always hire a driver to ride the wheelchair cross country just kidding. Seriously, how about if they left out the batteries which weight the most and just UPS the Chair after breaking it down? and then you have help putting it back together? I would think that would be the cheapest way. Thats the way its normally done with Handcycles as much of a pain it is to put them together.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Hi Shannon, Shipping insurance is inexpensive and a must have. It's absolutely essential for any valuable piece of equipment. I doubt a reputable shipper would allow you to not have it. Especially for an iBot.
            Insurance would cover any and all repairs due to damage caused during shipping.

Comment

Okey doke. Thanks!

Comment

Shannon - You go ta IBOT? Yay for you!!! I am so happy for you.
                If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Thanks Addie! I'm very excited! It's only slightly used, but I'm getting it for less than half the cost of a new one.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

Comment

Where???? ebay?
                    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

just to play devil's advocate. If you are purchasing it from a third party what's your guarantee it's working?

Just make sure your contract w/ the buyer leaves you an out

<--watches too much judge judy!!
                      Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I bought my X5 online from Planet Mobility. It got shipped from IIM on a pallet and wrapped just like Cap'n said. Arrived on a big truck, hell the battery cables were even attached. The guy rolled it off and I could have jumped in, but topped off the batteries overnight first.

Land shipping is by far cheapest. They do charge by weight, but if batteries are still good, would cost more to replace than to ship. Call the big trucking companies around you and get some estimates, and yes they will "box" it for ya.

Congrats, I know you been wanting one for awhile.
                        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue
                          Where???? ebay?
                          Nope, the seller contacted me, knowing that I've been wanting one.

I do know though that one did sell on ebay about a month ago for about $11,000. As far as I know, the one on ebay and the one I'm getting are the only two used ones that have been sold so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321
                            just to play devil's advocate. If you are purchasing it from a third party what's your guarantee it's working?

Just make sure your contract w/ the buyer leaves you an out

<--watches too much judge judy!!
                            iBOTs have a "black box" that can tell the people at Independence Technology what it's been though. He also had an IT tech come look it over.

Comment

Thanks McDuff! If I'm dreaming I'm gonna be really pissed off when I wake up!

I've checked out a couple different shipping companies and it looks like they are all just about the same price. I didn't think it would cost so much to truck it out here! Oh well. I thought about buying a round trip airline ticket and going to get it myself. It would save some $$, but it would be a major pain. Plus, I think it would be safer to ship it than allow the airlines to get it here in one piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X