Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got lectured for parking in a handicapped spot...gee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got lectured for parking in a handicapped spot...gee.

Well, I thought I have experienced quite a bit in my 21 months in the chair, but today was something else. I pulled into the Kroger parking lot downtown in my shiny car and took my place in the handicapped spot so I could begin the wonderful process of unloading my chair. It was REALLY hot in Atlanta today might I add so the heat was making me slightly more irratable than usual.

So as I am preparing to get out I see middle-aged woman, an elderly woman with a cane, and a store clerk approaching the passenger side of the car parked next to me. Just to be polite, I decided to wait for them to load their things. As I am waiting, the younger two of the women approaches my car and taps my window. I roll it down and she says, "Excuse me but you are parked in a handicapped spot and..." and before she could finish I gave her the most evil glare. Then she noticed my big ass wheelchair and wheels seated in the back seat. I then said "lady, I will take your mother's cane any day over this wheelchair." Then she proceeds to say, "well, I just always approach people who are parked in handicapped spots illegally you understand, don't you?" I said "Lady, I understand more than you OR your mother ever will at least she can walk." With that, she creeped away sheepishly to her car while the clerk continued to load it. I felt like being a real ass and asking her why does she need a clerk to help her load the car when she is just as able-bodied as he is? I think she got the point though.

While I applaud her efforts, people like this should really look before they leap because you just may annoy the very people you are trying to look out for.

I have had that happen to me a few times. I just anwer good, I must be in the right spot. Situation handled and off to what ever I was there for.
    Sometimes the lights all shinin on me; Other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been: The Grateful Dead

Comment

I have peple stop and watch when I park in Handicap spot, I have the handicap tag/plate on my van. It is the permanant one and not the blue one.
      I have some people when they see me parking, stop and look and even look around to find the "tag". I have not had anyone though brave up and say something to me. I guess, people see a younger person in a handicap spot and well, you can not be there. Some people watch me get out of my van and yeah, I guess they realize, something is not right.
      When my dd was going through chemo, she also had partial paralyzation from her brain tumor, we got the tag as she could not walk far, she was 9, 10 when she died. An older gentleman, came to me at the store and told me, you can not park here. B.S., I am legal as my dd was right there also. He claimed to call the cops and wanted me to wait so, he could get me ticketed or whatever. I told him sorry, I can not and need to by groceries with my family and head my dd to get her chemo. He just wnet on and on, I gave him my number and name,told him to have the police call me as I was in the right not him and I went on my way. Heard no more after he seen dd out of the van.
      Some people, sorry but they don't have a clue and are not the brightest!
      "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Comment

Take it as a compliment, you must look too good to be disabled Yep, though, I've had that happen too over the years people will say the darnest things. I think the funniest thing I ever had happen was I had just emptied my leg bag in the front of my car and I was wheeling away and this guy comes up to me and says, excuse me sir, it looks like your car is leaking anti freeze, then he went over to the puddle and put his finger in it and then on his tongue and said "yep, that there sure is anti-freeze sir, you better get your radiator looked at. I was sitting there busting up laughing so hard, I think that was the funniest thing I have seen in my life.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

A few months ago I was parking in a handicap spot, and a woman was beeping the horn at me, yelling "her mother was handicapped, and they had to make a movie". I pulled the walker out of the back, and said "Yeah??? What do you think I am??" "WELL !!!!! You're abusing a privlige for old people". I was having a bad day, having pushed too hard working around the yard, Ignored her, and rather than get Pizza, or go to Dunkin Donut's I got pissed off and went to the Liquor store instead. When I got out of the store the woman's mother was practicly doing "The Cha Cha,,,," going to the movies. At that point I knew I made the right choice of "stores" to go shopping in.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee
            Take it as a compliment, you must look too good to be disabled Yep, though, I've had that happen too over the years people will say the darnest things. I think the funniest thing I ever had happen was I had just emptied my leg bag in the front of my car and I was wheeling away and this guy comes up to me and says, excuse me sir, it looks like your car is leaking anti freeze, then he went over to the puddle and put his finger in it and then on his tongue and said "yep, that there sure is anti-freeze sir, you better get your radiator looked at. I was sitting there busting up laughing so hard, I think that was the funniest thing I have seen in my life.
            No man...no. Tasting antifreeze from the ground? That's pretty nasty. Of course, if it's actually pee it's pretty hilarious.

Comment

Oh my, gosh, that is hilarious, although, he probably would have freaked knowing what he did. At least he was trying to be helpful

Ya know, I would like to apologize for stupid, inconsiderate, idiotic things others say and do to those with very visible handicap/disablities and those not so visible ones. I have always had issues with people being "ugly" to others when, you may have no clue what is going on with them. It is even more so now since my injuries. Gotta figure out how to blank it out but it pisses me off.
              I for one, may not be very visible to some people however; I try"hide" things that really show there is a big handicap.
              Of course when your "young", how could you possibly have a handicap. Heck, I am with you, I would trade having my SCI for oh, most others things.
              Gosh, I just want to be "normal"
              "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Comment

Curt, you made my night, that's the funniest thing I heard/read all day. Thank you.
                "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                Winston Churchill

Comment

Although I understand the frustration, I would rather have someone upset about a person that they believe is improperly parked in a disabled spot then to ignore the situation. I don't know how many times I have tried to get a diabled spot in a lot only to find a person with a diabled plate was not disabled at all, but was a relative of someone who was and was driving their car. Another problem occurs when the management of the lot does not enforce the parking requlation and is too busy to call the police and have them towed. I belong to a club the has diabled parking. I noted one time that several cars on a snowy afternoon were parked illegally in disabled parking and the manager refused to have them towed but instead placed a note on their windshield.
                  mike

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelieboy
                    While I applaud her efforts, people like this should really look before they leap because you just may annoy the very people you are trying to look out for.
                    I agree with you on this. I'm glad that there are ppl. like this out ''patroling'', but atleast wait until you exit just to make sure. I'm still awaiting the day someone accuses me of abusing the spot. I hope I keep my cool, nah, I def. will as I'll kill 'em with kindness. Hopefully they'll tap on my window and I'll agree that one shouldn't abuse the spot and then lower my ramp and exit.. all the while asking, ''you don't see anyone abusing do you?''

Curt makes me want to empty my bag everytime I park now.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

It was REALLY hot in Atlanta today might I add so the heat was making me slightly more irratable than usual.
                      It appears so.

the younger two of the women approaches my car and taps my window. I roll it down and she says, "Excuse me but you are parked in a handicapped spot and..." and before she could finish I gave her the most evil glare. Then she noticed my big ass wheelchair and wheels seated in the back seat. I then said "lady, I will take your mother's cane any day over this wheelchair." Then she proceeds to say, "well, I just always approach people who are parked in handicapped spots illegally you understand, don't you?" I said "Lady, I understand more than you OR your mother ever will at least she can walk." With that, she creeped away sheepishly to her car while the clerk continued to load it.
                      I don't understand why you're proud of this. You weren't "lectured" by anyone. Someone went out of their way to politely inform you of the law. YOU were the rude one, not the woman who thought she was doing the right thing. I don't know the details of your disability or life, but then, you don't know the details of those two women's lives or their various abilities and disabilities. For all you know the woman with the cane has a degenerative disorder that will leave her in a wheelchair in a matter of weeks. Or the other woman could be dying of bone cancer or something. Either or both of them could be living in excruciating pain on a daily basis. That could be why they were accepting help from the store clerk. Your bitterness about your own situation has blinded you to other people's pain. That's not a good thing.

I felt like being a real ass and asking her why does she need a clerk to help her load the car when she is just as able-bodied as he is? I think she got the point though.
                      What "point" are you referring to? If you meant to convince this woman that she should never speak up or try to encourage people to abide by the parking laws, then I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't succeed. As for being a "real" ass, well, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I thought I was easily annoyed, but you make me look like Job.

C.

Comment

At least you werent lectured for using your handicapped tag in a blue parking space with an expectant mothers sign on it.....our local hospital has taken one of their handicapped spaces and converted it to expectant mother parking.

We have a section in our local paper called the "Rants and Raves" section. People can call in anonymous rants and raves.....

These parking spaces have caused more ruckous than non handicapped people parking in handicapped spots....

I use the expectant mother parking if another space is not available. Most people rant because elderly people use their handicapped placard in these spaces..... I am young enough I guess for people to not know I am expecting LOL....
                        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                          It appears so.

I don't understand why you're proud of this. You weren't "lectured" by anyone. Someone went out of their way to politely inform you of the law. YOU were the rude one, not the woman who thought she was doing the right thing. I don't know the details of your disability or life, but then, you don't know the details of those two women's lives or their various abilities and disabilities. For all you know the woman with the cane has a degenerative disorder that will leave her in a wheelchair in a matter of weeks. Or the other woman could be dying of bone cancer or something. Either or both of them could be living in excruciating pain on a daily basis. That could be why they were accepting help from the store clerk. Your bitterness about your own situation has blinded you to other people's pain. That's not a good thing.

What "point" are you referring to? If you meant to convince this woman that she should never speak up or try to encourage people to abide by the parking laws, then I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't succeed. As for being a "real" ass, well, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I thought I was easily annoyed, but you make me look like Job.

C.
                          My, my Tiger, you certainly enjoy starting confrontations on this board. What makes you so bitter about your life that you feel that you have to attack every CC member with your "oh so sage" advice and observations? Often times you, like the woman I encountered, look before you leap and make silly allegations and comments that make you look more foolish than intelligent. Since you seem to have very bad understanding, the point I was making was the woman should not have been so quick to act before assessing my situation.

We all know that you are "super intelligent" and, of course, in our simplicity we often times need your on the spot analysis to remind us all of how inferior we are in our seemingly illogical actions and comments. Maybe one day we will all grow up to be just as judgemental, confrontational, and bitter as you. Then the CC community would be a much better place because all posts would then be void of personal opinions, perceptions, and experiences and just be based on "logic." I'm so looking forward to that day.

You are now free to cut, clip, paste, and comment away....yaaawwwn.

Comment

you certainly enjoy starting confrontations on this board.
                            Wrong again. I don't enjoy it, but I am just not afraid of dealing with confrontation.

What makes you so bitter about your life that you feel that you have to attack every CC member with your "oh so sage" advice and observations?
                            You practically cuss out a woman who is trying to protect a right that about everyone on these boards bitches about on a regular basis and I'm the bitter one doing the attacking, eh?

the point I was making was the woman should not have been so quick to act before assessing my situation.
                            Your justification for your over the top response to that woman's polite comment is weak at best. Perhaps she was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for you to get out of your car. Maybe she's tried that in the past and the person driving jumped out and ran away before she was able to get their attention and say something. The real point here is that the woman did nothing wrong. She was speaking up about an issue that most here feel is important. YOU were the one who over reacted and were quite rude. You don't have to like me, you can insult my posting style all you like, but shooting the messenger won't change those facts.

C.

Comment

lol curt ...the anti-freeze taste like sugar....very sweet.
                              how do i know?dont ask me please.lol
                              i was ab and i tried to fix my radiator car ...agrrrr..

Comment

Working...
                              X