Zapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zapped

By lightning... my computer,that is - been down since whenever I last posted - AGAIN! The guy who fixed it last time has it again but he's been really busy and I do not have it back yet and don't know if he'll be able to fix it or if I'll have to start over again with a regular computer fixer-upper.

We are not amused. We are resigned because obviously the computer gods hate me. We will be back asap, whenever the %*&#@$ that may be.

To all of you who responded to my antique thread a heartfelt thank you for the interesting and informative posts. I'll catch up on pm's as soon as I can to those of you who I need to write.

Having only had time to browse around a bit here today, I see I have missed out on some really interesting conversations, damn it. Hope to be in the thick of it all again soon.

Regards to one and all.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Kendell
    We are not amused. We are resigned because obviously the computer gods hate me. We will be back asap, whenever the %*&#@$ that may be.
    Way sucky. I can sympathize. One of my desktop computers crashed a couple of weeks ago and since I was flippant and didn't rush to get it fixed, the gods zapped my laptop a few days ago. Both computers are only about a year old.

I've had Apple computers since I was 15 and up until about 3 yrs ago, I never had one go bad. In the past 3 yrs, I have had 4 separate computers crash HARD a total of 5 times. I don't get it. I must be giving off some weird, electrical vibe that computers don't like.

Luckily my iMac was still under warranty, but I just shelled out major money to replace the laptop computer. It'll be faster and have more memory than the old one, but I don't NEED one faster with more memory. I did need that money though. My husband just lost my digital camera too. Limited edition, fancy, schmancy, Ferrari camera that I was so tickled to get a year or so ago and that I probably won't be able to replace until after we get into the new house.

Yeesh.

Good luck getting your computer fixed!

C.

Comment

You must not use a surge protector?
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer
        You must not use a surge protector?
        Of course I use surge protectors. I wish it was that simple.

C.

Comment

Tiger, I think Lynnifer might have been responding to Kendell.

Kendell, do you have surge protectors? They do wonders for protecting from spikes. Still won't stop a direct/real close lightning hit, but will save from most hits. If you get one, get one that runs your phone and cable lines thru it also(whatever you connect to computer), lightning can come in on all sorts of wire.

Sorry you got hit again so soon, hope the fix is quick and cheap.
          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

An APU, aka battery backup, are great as they condition the signal too. x

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
              . My husband just lost my digital camera too. Limited edition, fancy, schmancy, Ferrari camera that I was so tickled to get a year or so ago and that I probably won't be able to replace until after we get into the new house.
              C.

This model has been sold out for sometime...Can't find it.

This one I found on E-Bay for $600 ..I don't want to settle..
              waiting for the Olympus to be available.

J

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff
                I think Lynnifer might have been responding to Kendell.
                Well, now, that makes more sense. Sorry!

C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCAT
                  This one I found on E-Bay for $600 ..
                  When was that? One just sold a week or so ago for more than $800. That's the model I had. I think we paid somewhere between $400-$500 for it. Too much for how much camera it was at the time, but I have a thing for Ferraris and my husband was sweet about it.

I don't want to settle.. waiting for the Olympus to be available.
                  That 2004 model is an Olympus. Or are you referring to a different one?

C.

Comment

Sweet!

Olympus Ferrrari Didgital Model 2003

Comment

Hey again all. Back at the library. Hopefully will have a computer - one way or another - in the next few days.

I've been way lucky with computers, Tiger, so I guess I was overdue for some serious bad luck. Perhaps I've used mine up for awhile. Actually, sounds like you have had enough bad luck for several people so maybe you've covered me, too. I do think some people have issues with electronic gadgets and the like. Debbie can't wear a watch for more than a few days without it going haywire.

McDuff, I did have my computer plugged into a surge protector. I've since been informed that surge protectors have a limited life span as far as their effectiveness, so perhaps mine had overextended itself already. I intend to get the best I can afford when I get my computer hooked up again, believe me. Live and learn, I guess - sometimes the hard way.

PatonB, just saw one of those battery backups yesterday and they do look pretty sweet. Seriously considering getting one if I can find one in my price range.

Thanks for the info and good thoughts, all!
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Glad to see you posting, Melissa, even if through the library.

Here's to you and Debbie having Internet access at home again soon.

Comment

From your lips, La Mem...

Thanks!
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                            Glad to see you posting, Melissa, even if through the library.

Here's to you and Debbie having Internet access at home again soon.
                            X2

Isn't it amazing how dependent we've gotten on these damn things. Hell I design computer chips for a living and they still piss me off.

Melissa, surge prots do have a lifespan, but you may have to resort to unplugging all when a big storm comes thru. Sounds like y'alls house has been the "designated ground" for lightning around you. Are you isolated?

Good luck.
                            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

McDuff, if I could unplug the entire freaking house every time the wind blows, I might. Can ya tell I"m a wee bit paranoid at the moment?

We are a bit on a lightning path. Thankfully, we no longer live in a mobile home that was due to be picked up by the next strong wind and /or zapped into eternity any more.

Thanks for the good thoughts, and -remember -you're bigger than those chips.
                              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X