No announcement yet.

"How come you're not all shriveled up?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she could have at least given you a complimentary hug to go with the remark. that might've evened things out a bit.
    http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

I once had another incomplete quad say to me, "Gee I don't understand, I have only been in a chair for a short time and my hands and legs have atrophied and yours haven't with the amount of time you have been in a chair." My answer to her was "I could be in this chair 100 years and nothing on me will ever shrink. "

Comment

I've never had any atrophy remarks, but quite a number of quad belly quips. My response to that is: "My abdominal muscles are paralysed, what's your excuse?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru
          My legs have stayed pretty much the same size and shape thanks to the spasms, the down side being the power they still retain. I was sat with my foot under a heavy oak coffee table when a Richter measurable spaz struck, the table flew across the room breaking four glasses and dousing a cream carpet with red wine. Strangely I haven't been asked back.

Just as well perhaps, they were a bloody boring couple.
          An oak table! I hope you're exaggerating!

As for me my legs are in relatively nice shape, though I'm a jumper not a kicker
          Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky

As for me my legs are in relatively nice shape, though I'm a jumper not a kicker

I'm sure I read on another thread that you were a kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Quad
              I'm sure I read on another thread that you were a kicker.
              I was wondering if someone would catch that! When sitting I'm a jumper, when horizontal any sensitive areas, on another individual should be strictly monitored

Comment

You should have slapped her on the ass and said, "I could ask the same about your butt, darlin'."

She was wrong in how she phrased it, and it came out to me as not too cool.
                Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

to jump is easy ........to remain steady [stable]is harder.an old proverb regarding sexuality and behaviours.lol

Comment

As for me my legs are in relatively nice shape,
                    I think we deserve a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru
                      I think we deserve a picture.
                      I guess you missed it before!
                      /forum/showthread.php?t=81240&page=4
                      Last edited by leschinsky; 28 May 2007, 3:24 PM.

Comment

I did, I guess you missed it!

Definitely not shriveled up!

Comment

I did, I guess you missed it!
                          How did I miss that?

Great legs and it doesn't stop there!

Comment

thank you boys *curtsy*

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelieboy
                              That was the question I was asked today from one of my former nurses at the Shepherd Center who I happened to run into today.

My response was simply, "huh?" She said, "you know what I mean. Look at the people you see coming in and out of here. You see they have skinny little bodies and legs. Your legs look muscular and normal and you have an upper body." Then my old doctor walks by at that exact moment and says, "what's up, big guy?" Then she says, "see what I mean?"

Is the medical expectation everyone with a SCI "shrivels up" over time? I know people lose some mass, but I never figured they "shrivel up." Do any of you guys and gals out there ever feel "all shriveled up?" I wasn't botherd by the nurse's question, but moreso curious in regard to the observation. Perhaps in my case it's just genetics and a good gym workout here and there. I'm just askin'.....
                              I get/gotten that before. It seems fairly non-offensive IMO but I catch the 'big fella' nickname off of virtually everyone thats opened a door, watched me drop something etc etc...seems to be the fitting nickname.
                              My legs have wasted awefully slow over the last 9 years and Im built like a small tank... at the end of the day it beats being the little fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelieboy
                                That was the question I was asked today from one of my former nurses at the Shepherd Center who I happened to run into today.
                                I wouldn't take it personally, but that is a very tactless, stupid question for her to ask. I have to wonder if that was the same nurse I had to deal with at Sheperd. She was a rude bitch that needed a slap upside the head and some sensitivity training, not that I still hold a grudge or anything...
                                De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Working...
                                X