Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man busted while drunk driving in wheelchair

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...33116920070522

BERLIN (Reuters) - A wheelchair-bound German stunned police when they pulled him over for using the road and found he was 10 times over the legal alcohol limit for drivers.

"He was right in the middle of the road," said a spokesman for police in the northeastern city of Schwerin Tuesday. "The officers couldn't quite believe it when they saw the results of the breath test. That's a life-threatening figure."

The 31-year-old told police he had been out drinking with a friend and was a little over a mile from home when a squad car stopped him as he passed through the village of Ventschow.

Police said that because the man was technically traveling as a pedestrian, he could not be charged with a driving offence.

"It's not like we can impound his wheelchair," the spokesman said. "But he is facing some sort of punishment. It's just not clear yet what exactly that will be."

There is DUI and then there is OMG. 10x the legal limit. He was lucky to be breathing.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

He deserves whatever punishment he gets. How 'bout his drinking buddies? They deserve an ''atta boy'' for leaving him, if in fact they were there.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

I say Bravo!...for being 10X's the legal limit and still being upright and knowing which direction home even is..

Cheers & beers my German friend.....CHEERS & MANY MANY MANY BEERS!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun
          I say Bravo!...for being 10X's the legal limit and still being upright and knowing which direction home even is..!
          If he was walking it would be more impressive. My husband always jokes that the only reason I can outdrink him is that I cheat. I never stand up, so I never get that "whoa" when the liquor suddenly hits you.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
            If he was walking it would be more impressive. My husband always jokes that the only reason I can outdrink him is that I cheat. I never stand up, so I never get that "whoa" when the liquor suddenly hits you.

C.
            Not getting that "whoa" is one explanation for consuming 10X legal limit.
            Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
              If he was walking it would be more impressive.

C.
              HA!..True dat

Comment

was the guy speeding?lol

Comment

HA!..True dat

I would go as far as to say "miraculous".
                  Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
                    Not getting that "whoa" is one explanation for consuming 10X legal limit.
                    Heh. Good point. I wonder if someone is going to sue the bartender now.

C.

Comment

I talked to a local cop here, and asked him if i could get a owi on my powerchair. He asked if it had a key, I said it had a on/off switch. He said "technically" it would be operating a motor vehicle under the influence, but because I'm bound to it, and cannot get around anyother way besides pushing myself, that I would be ok. He also said that it would take a hell of a prick of a cop to do it, and it would prolly never hold up in court. Would prolly just be a public intox.
                      T8/9 (2-24-06)
                      IOWA

Comment

I say Bravo!...for being 10X's the legal limit and still being upright and knowing which direction home even is..

Cheers & beers my German friend.....CHEERS & MANY MANY MANY BEERS!
                        I am laughing here. LOL my friend is a Sheriff Dep in Nevada LOL he always says. YOu know if you had a motor I could pull you over. LOL.. I said bring it on baby. I am sitting at the judges table. LOL.. we were all at a friends wedding. LOL..

Comment

Working...
                        X