You Know You're "A Person With A Disability" When

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seriously
    i feel my disability each time i have to ask someone to help me do the most simple things normal people take for granted
    i am an electrical installation teacher yet cannot change my own light bulb.
    in addition this year i have been given a basic 15hr worksite safety programme to teach. i get so emotional when i have to explain ladder safety.

Comment

When you are with a bunch of people just waiting for the first good snowfall so they can go skiing, and all you can think of is that it is that it completely screws up your mobility, and where will you ever be able to lower the ramp on city sidewalks with high snowbanks?

Comment

When i realized i was just like my dogs because my "tail" wagged because i got to go for a ride in the car!!

Comment

Your friend references your "happy pill" and he's referring to a potassium channel blocker.

Comment

Randy, that literally made me laugh out loud - so hard that I had tears when I finished.
            Don - Grad Student Emeritus
            T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by maddog2020m06 View Post
              LOL You know you have a disability, when you look in front of you there is a crotch or rear looking at ya.
              Jerry
              Yeah I just don't know where to look when I suddenly find a huge arse in my face. And I'm thinking....''don't you dare fart!''.

Actually that's the most annoying thing about having just one wheelchair space on london buses....Someone comes along and let's rip with a stink...you can no longer just get up and move to another seat (or deck) to get away from the smell. Just gotta sit there engulfed by it

Comment

When i'm feeling so independent, cooking for my family, then I'm suddenly stuck-can't move an inch-because a plastic trash bag is completely tangled in my front castor. I have to call to my husband to come and hold me in a wheelie and untangle it for me!

Or when I proudly show the public I can open my own door-don't need help- then as I come outside a gust of wind blows an important paper off my lap and I chase it, then as I reach down, it blows farther, then again and its off the curb. Mr "Public" comes out the door and I have to accept his offer for help now!
                http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
                my website & blog

Comment

...when the only place that really, really feels like home is these fxcking threads.

Comment

This thread was before my time. So freaking funny!

When your sitting by a heater and its 70 degrees outside

When picking out your wheelchair color is a seriously huge decision

When every move you make has to be spread around to every family member and friend (new injury)

When you have to talk people into not helping you
                    Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
                    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
                    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

When my daughter say's catch me Daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by lonecoaster View Post
                        When my daughter say's catch me Daddy.
                        I bet she is a sweet girl.
                        2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

The best! Even though I can't chase her, we play chase anyway. As long as I'm behind her with my arms pumping, she laughs hard like I'm right on her tail.
                          Last edited by lonecoaster; 25 Nov 2012, 11:42 AM. Reason: Pic is too big

Comment

Hi everyone, I am new here. My name is Samantha, although most people call me "Sammie". To answer the topic, I would have to say when I am hoping that I can be done with all of the surgeries I've had. Just had my second hip replacement surgery in eleven years, in March which brought it to fifty. I was born with a bone disorder that has required a lot of surgeries throughout my entire life. I am hoping that 50 is the magic number for the stopping point of the surgeries.

The best thing about you know that you're a person with a disability when you are able to have fun with friends at an accessible timeshare condo on the beach. My husband Daniel, and I love spending a weekend, or an overnight at our friend's timeshare condo that she has on the Oregon coast. We try to go with her every time she gets a chance to get one.

Samantha
                            Samantha

Comment

Originally posted by trainman View Post
                              when the waitress asks the person beside you, "Does he drink water?"
                              Haha....That is so true. That has happened more than once when my husband and I have been out together. I usually respond with NO, I would prefer to have a Rum & Coke and he'll have a budweiser!
                              DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Interesting thread and funny too! For me it would be when in the grocery store an having to ask someone to get that darn box, bag, jar, or can off the top shelf so I can use my coupon LOL
                                Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                                X