No announcement yet.

Ever get tired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it could be worse ,but as well IT COULD BE BETTER.
    thanks god i can move my arms and breath without any help.

Comment

There aren't a lot of other people in the world who feel like all the skin from below their neck has been scraped off, they've been dunked in alcohol, every bone in their back sticks out through their skin, plus a bunch of other painful sensations, and are quadriplegic on top of that, but I only discuss this in proper venues. Someone asks how I am, I say "okay." It's polite. People really don't want to hear details when they ask how you are (unless you're at a doctor's office), and you don't want their details.
      Nobody needs to hear "it could be worse." It could just as well be better, but are people going to say to a quad, "You could be better?" Then they shouldn't say, "It could be worse."
      Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

the higher is the injury the worst it is .word.
        we must thank that we survived and never loose heart and hope.
        adi .

Comment

People really don't want to hear details when they ask how you are (unless you're at a doctor's office), and you don't want their details.
          Nobody needs to hear "it could be worse." It could just as well be better, but are people going to say to a quad, "You could be better?" Then they shouldn't say, "It could be worse."[/quote]

Your sure right Alan, people may ask how you are but they really don't want to know and they don't care. Thats why I always say I'm fine, even when I'm hurting so bad that I could cry, not very manly I know. but then they say "IT could be worse! we for sure know it!!! I would rather they not ask!

Comment

I don't give details about how I am to others. People are usually just being polite to ask each other, "How are you?"

Yes, I get the strange comments. Everything from, "I admire you" to "You look very injured. What happened?" to "God can use you" to "I know what it's like. I had to use a chair after surgery" to "It could be worse" and on and on.

Some days I'm better at dealing with the comments than others. Lately I'm better at letting the innocuous comments roll. I continue rolling while letting the comments roll. I'm not obligated to give a gimp monologue about my body to anyone, especially those I don't know.

It seems cyclical, though. I'm sure I'll be annoyed as hell by what strangers say soon enough.

Duge, I'm sorry you're being bothered by the comments. Those kinds of statements to us seem to come in waves.**Hugs.**

Comment

Funny it's actually me who's said "it could be worse", usually because the person has said something like "oh how horrible" and is just looking at me. I mean what do you say in response to that? Oh yes please pity me my life is doomed. I guess it irks my pride. Of course if I was in constant pain my answer may be different cause I'm big baby, hats off to those of you who are.
              Last edited by leschinsky; 21 Mar 2007, 8:01 PM.
              Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

When I am asked how am I .. my answer is always fine. One day, a friend made me laugh with their come back .. (I was in the hospital) .. "if you are fine, then what are you doing in the hospital?". I thought that was funny but what else could I have said? It is a habit for me to say "fine". I guess I just say that so I won't feel any worse than I already might be feeling at the moment. I try my best to ignore that comment .. it could be worse. Yeah it could .. but it isn't always for me, it sometimes feels like it is the worst. Want to try out my life? Those are the thoughts that run through my mind but then think .. ahhh .. what's the use?

Raven
                Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
                but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

I remember when I was at the Sheperd center shortly after my SCI I was asked how I was doing a lot. I would usually answer "still breathing", or if I was feeling theatrical I would say "Oh my God, I can't feel my legs! I think I'm paralzed!".
                  De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
                    When I am asked how am I .. my answer is always fine.
                    My family and friends know I don't like being asked how I am because it's a pointless, social nicety that is supposed to be responded to in a scripted way that does not reflect how I am most of the time. So I either ignore the question or respond by saying, "about the same". It's the truth, whereas "fine" usually isn't.

C.

Comment

Working...
                    X