Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had Recreation Therapy when they were in rehab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who had Recreation Therapy when they were in rehab?

Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to inquire how many of you had recreation therapy, and what you felt was the most beneficial thing you got from recreation therapy. Also, what was the neatest thing that you saw or thought your recreation therapist did? Just trying to draw ideas for my program.

Thanks for your help

Searching for ideas!

Rt

Dear Rec Therapist,
    I participated in 3 outings while in in-patient rehab in St. Louis. Those experiences provided my first glimpse of my new world as seen from level of a wheelchair. The outings were helpful in that they encouraged me to go out in public to try to have a good time. They also were a much needed reminder that life goes on despite my being stuck in a hospital.

The RT made goals for everyone who went (we went to 2 movies, and once to the mall), but, she did not really have the time or sufficient help from techs or PTs to ensure that all of the folks actually worked on their goals, and to assess whether they met their goals.

Rec therapy was discontinued at the hospital where I used to work, and I think it is unfortunate because of the potential benefit they can offer to patients.
    DA

Comment

You should also ask about how many "RTs" were actually CTRS or otherwise certified and trained. Not all programs offer therapeutic recreation as it cannot be billed to insurances, so if they do offer it they sometimes just hire an "activity director" who often lacks any formal training, a degree in TR, or national certification to validate competency.

Fortunately in the VA system, we do not have these barriers. For our 26 bed unit we have two full-time CTRS staff and several volunteers. There are outings twice weekly, many on-unit activities, annual ski trips, and training/couching for the National Veteran's Wheelchair Games. Our TR staff also runs our pool therapy program and community mobility training programs. They help bedrest patients with craft kits, an Xbox loan, and a video/DVD library. This is in addition to individual counseling and activities for wheelchair sports or other leisure interests for both inpatients and outpatients, and they also generally have a TR student to precept.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I can give you a wish for RT. Knowing about adapted sports, handcycling, marathon, sit ski etc would have been great. I waited years to give it a try because I didn't know enough about it. Maybe get BARS to come in and talk about their program? They have ski, handcycle and camping.
        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Skiing, cycling, sailing, kayak, tennis, rugby, fencing, apple picking, hockey games, some movies, mall outings, restaurants, museums. A couple guys went skydiving.Once, all the girl attendants took a c4 friend of mine to Ladies Night at a strip club. We'd all drink together off-hours. We still do sometimes, 4 years later.
          www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

I didn't like my rec therapy, he basically put me in a canoe 5 months post and i paddled around alittle, then he was like okay now get out, i was like alright how? he said I don't know just rock around, so i did and face planted in the water and my body went into spasims and sunk to the bottom. hah it was quite therpautic.
            Injured:10-16-04
            C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
            Blog:
            http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
            Facebook:
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
            Progress:
            http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
            My drawings:
            http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

I was at Craig and went to a Rockies game and many places in Denver. My RT was an intern and she was hot. That helped.

Comment

An activities director at the nursing home I was in for a month of rehab didn't cut it. Playing bingo for bad toiletries, singing hymns with a preachy, hellfire and brimstone pianist and attending a birthday party in the upstairs Alzheimer's unit left me sad.

Did have one uber kewl nurse. She got me out of my room to set off fireworks she'd brought. Kept me from feeling totally solo that July 4th.

Even though it was "only" a month, that was one of the longest months of my life. A real, live RT would've been great.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee
                  I didn't like my rec therapy, he basically put me in a canoe 5 months post and i paddled around alittle, then he was like okay now get out, i was like alright how? he said I don't know just rock around, so i did and face planted in the water and my body went into spasims and sunk to the bottom. hah it was quite therpautic.

Hmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,
                  Sounds like he takes my fathers approach to rec, occ, voc therapy, i believe it's called "sink or swim"

Comment

My whole team of therapists were great. I didn't do much with the therapeutic recreation time, other than hang out, but it was *so* much better than the time spent with the neuropsych dude. I think we went out to eat once. Other SCI that rehabbed with me, they went out to the mall and walmart and I think the movies and stuff, but I wasn't too into that.

~dan
                    Daniel

Comment

I made a flower pot, tie dyed some t shirts, we all took a picnic, and I think we went to a movie.

I wasnt very impressed with it but it really helped my room mate make her transition.

We also had a gameroom where we could play board games and it also had a pool table and I think foosball.
                      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

My brother was at two Rehabs, University of Wisconsin and Sheperd in Atlanta. Since he had many complications and drowsy from too many drugs he was not approached for Rec Rehab. He did get to use the pool in Atlanta, after I insisted and helped, and that was very therapeutic. Then at Patricia Neal Rehab in Knoxville they had an extensive program with waterskiing, etc. But once again I had to push his way in, insurance issues? I think it would be helpful for Rec to keep in touch with ex-patients with longer term programs, since the acute admission is so sort nowdays and some aren't ready to adjust their sports to a w/c, or have complications that preclude them. And that way there would also be peer support from those that have been injured longer and can show more proficiency and hope at a given sport. Community involvment for financial help with long term programs really would help. Tailoring the activity to individuals would also help.

Comment

In New York, we had a couple of Certified Recreational Therapist, and we went anywhere from Met games at Shea Stadium to several other events in Madison Square Garden or, at the Meadowlands. We also went to a state park, other than Central Park, to get us used to being outdoors, while being disabled.

We are also lucky to have the United Spinal Association, which has a sports and recreation department. They offer anything from wheelchair softball, wheelchair football, Sled hockey, wheelchair basketball, track & field and Quad rugby. Just to name a few sports because I know I am missing something.

You should try and get in touch with Bill Hannigan, he and United Spinal work with different organizations to try and get them started off in the right direction.

He is the director of sports and recreation and I am sure that he would be more than happy to try and help you get started.

His contact information is: www.unitedspinal.org Phone # (718) 803-3782 ext.1268 E-mail address: BHannigan@unitedspinal.org
                          Dave H

Comment

We had a Rec Therapist...He was the best staff member my horrible rehab had...We played ping-pong, basketball, modified soccer(I can move my legs, but at the time had "snow-shoe" braces up to my knees due to surgeries on both feet),plastic pin bowling, went to the movies & lunch a couple times, and took numerous strolls around the lake that was just across from the hospital...I honestly got more out of the Rec Therapy than I did out of any other part of my rehab at that place...We talked a lot about adaptive sports, but there really wasn't an outlet to experience them. Not to mention w/the add'l injuries I had I probably wouldn't have been able to participate in most anyway...I STILL try to go to the support group associated w/the rehab center & whenever they try to get an adaptive sports/rec day together I try to get a larger variety of sports represented than the Social Worker will allow...The RT doesn't have any say-so in things like that b/c it's "community" not "inpatient"
                            'Chelle
                            L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Originally posted by christopher
                              Skiing, cycling, sailing, kayak, tennis, rugby, fencing, apple picking, hockey games, some movies, mall outings, restaurants, museums. A couple guys went skydiving.Once, all the girl attendants took a c4 friend of mine to Ladies Night at a strip club. We'd all drink together off-hours. We still do sometimes, 4 years later.
                              That's it. I'm done with the USA.

Canada, here I come!!!

J.
                              And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X