sales tax on new vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sales tax on new vehicle

I just read a thread that if you are disabled you don't have to pay sales tax on a vehicle??

That must vary from state to state.
    - Richard

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
      I just read a thread that if you are disabled you don't have to pay sales tax on a vehicle??
      When still I drove and bought a new car, I sure as hell paid.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
        When still I drove and bought a new car, I sure as hell paid.
        Mee too on every new vehicle I have ever bought in 18 years of years of being disabled..

Where do you read all this stuff chopper chick?

Being disabled is not a way to get out of paying like everyone else. If it was, everyone would be claiming a disability.....

I know in some states you can get a break on property tax (house) because of disability. But you have to be low income to get it.
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

where'd you read that? I certainly paid tax on mine...

Comment

Here in Texas if you buy any vehicle new or used you pay no sales tax. But you have to prove that adapted equipment such as hand cotrols,lift,etc. have been installed.
            Property tax in Texas is froze from the time start drawing SSDI.

Comment

I paid sales tax on the vehicle, but all the 20k+ mods were not taxed in MO.
              DIGG.

Comment

I'm a gimp of 12 years and I just paid...

nearly $2000 for my new ride. Here in Arkansas they tax the heck out of us. It's rediculous!

Comment

Throw in a lifetime supply of free chocolate and people will be lining up to become handicapped!

C.

Comment

just bought one here and paid sales tax.
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Me being in Texas, I don't have to pay taxes on a vehicle. But you can only claim one vehicle as handicapped
                      C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by crppled007
                        Me being in Texas, I don't have to pay taxes on a vehicle.
                        Well whadayaknow?

State Tax Exemptions for People with Disabilities

Yay, Texas!

C.

Comment

Actually someone I was talking to from Texas mentioned it in an email. Go figure.

Comment

Massachusetts

If you meet certain requirements, you don't have to pay vehicle sales tax or excise tax in Massachusetts.

http://www.mass.gov/mod/DisabilityLa...Transportation

Massachusetts Automobile Excise Tax Exemption 1965
                            G.L. c. 60A, § l
                            Exempts qualified disabled persons from excise tax requirements. The motor vehicle must be owned and registered by a person who has suffered loss or permanent loss of use of both legs or both arms or loss of vision of both eyes to a certain degree. The exemption applies to only one motor vehicle per person owned and registered for their personal and noncommercial use. Applications for exemptions are available from the local city or town assessor’s office.

Massachusetts Automobile Sales Tax Exemption 1968
                            G.L. c. 64H, § 6
                            This law exempts certain people with disabilities from the purchase and use tax of a motor vehicle. To qualify, a disabled person must be the original registered owner of the motor vehicle and have the loss of two or more limbs or permanent loss of use of at least 80% of two or more limbs.Parents and others, who transport similarly disabled children or adults, who have been found incompetent to legally enter into contracts, may also be entitled to this exemption. SeeDOR Directive 03-11.The Department of Revenue has clarified that a wheelchair lift used to make a van accessible may also be exempt even if purchased separately from the vehicle. In cases where the lift is purchased after the van, a physician’s prescription may be needed to document this exemption. See DOR Directive 00-7.
                            T8 complete - 9/4/04

Comment

Originally posted by crppled007
                              ... But you can only claim one vehicle as handicapped
                              Don't believe this is true. I just registered my 2nd vehicle and got the h/c no sales tax exemption. And it was used, bought out of state, and a motorhome. Talk about saved me a big chunk o' change.

I did have a bit of a battle, not about a 2nd vehicle though. At first they wanted paperwork showing that I was going to get h/c mods done to vehicle. HELLO, they are already in the vehicle. So they weren't sure that I qualified since I wasn't getting equip installed. Ok, so I layed out for them; someone who buys a new h/c van, gets the exemption, but the 2nd owner doesn't? Not correct. Now, if the exemption was ONLY for the price of the mods, that might make sense. But this is for the whole vehicle price.

I had already found online that the ONLY documentation you need in Texas to get the sales tax exemption, is your DL showing the necessary restrictions. The supervisor finally went to the "big book" and found the same info that I had given. Case closed.

So, anyone in Tx, get this exemption for any h/c equipped vehicle, it is on the books.
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Working...
                              X