Chiropractor & SCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractor & SCI

Has anyone gotten any successful results being treated by a Chiropractor?

I am curious of that myself. my bf 's chiropractor said he would look at me for free to see what he could do, but it has been my experience with doctors that alot of them do not know anything about sci. Also, if the chiropractor has an answer to this, it probably would have been on the forum before.

Comment

They can teach you how to strengthen the muscles you have to support your back ... but what are you looking to get from one?

I saw one a few times and he would crack my neck which felt good ... but we both decided he should not manipulate the lower part of my spine (where I'm paralyzed).

The last time I went he actually hurt me - he was trying to work on my right rotator cuff and I was actually in dire pain for about four days. I didn't go back.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Happy Thursday

I have been a personal injury lawyer for 20 years. I think chiropractors should be arrested and put in jail. The first time my neck collapsed a chiropractor told me he had good success in fixing injuries like I had in my neck. I thought better of it and went to see a neurosurgeon. The surgeon told me I was close to getting paralyzed. He fused my vertebrae with titanium plates. A few years later I broke my neck in an accident and I am now a quadriplegic. However, for those years after my fusion my neck was pain free.

Chiropractors are quacks. Period. There is a saying-if you hurt your back and go to a chiropractor your back will hurt for only 30 days, if you don't go, your back will hurt for a month.

Comment

SOME chiropractors are quacks. I've met them & stay away. However, if you find a good one, they're awesome. There's one in my town that I've seen on & off for a few years now. I typically only go to see him if I need an adjustment - he's helped in numerous ways, most notibly with my seating. For example: if I've tended to lean to a side, it's often due to a twist in my pelvis (happens occasionally from transfers & dragging myself around) - easy fix & I sit straight again. I have C5-7 fused & he knows it... still get adjustments in my neck w/o problem.

The key is finding a quality chiro. I guarantee that if you met mine you'd think differently about them in general.

Comment

I used to go to a chiropractor when I was younger and plan on going back when the weather warms up. I do believe some chiropractors are quacks. Mine also did acupunture and no I wasn't looking for a quick cure from either of the treatments, but I do believe his treatments made me feel better. Very relaxed after a treatment and insurance covered so many visits a year. I know I need some adjustments now. When I roll over in bed or just move sideways in my chair you can hear lots of bones cracking - sounds like rice krispies at times.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
            http://www.kristi-allen.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donnaz
              Has anyone gotten any successful results being treated by a Chiropractor?

I married my chiropractor postinjury. She & her dad were chiropractors and I saw too much good & too many successful treatments to make a blanket statement like Acarson does. And lawyers, of all people, should avoid making blanket statements like that.

To answer your question, yes I've had many safe & successful treatments.

Comment

personal injury lawyer calling chiropractors quacks?....priceless!...lets discuss how many of us have been screwed by personal inj lawyers.....

Comment

Personally I don't think I want any kind of a Chiropractor doing any kind of popping on my back! It would scare the hell out of me. Before my injury I did go to one if I "back" got out of place. But not very often. I tend to think that they loosen your vertabra up to where they move around to much, causing pain, and getting out of place more often.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, I went to a chiro pre-SCI, learned he did not believe in germs as cause of disease. To him, it was about misalignment of spine and everything revolved around that. While he acknowledged germs exist, he believed diseases were caused by the spine.

I expected to hear about the four humours of the body being out of balance next.

I didn't return. Wouldn't to this day.

Dude was freaky.

Comment

Interesting thread.
                      I went to a chiropractor just befor my injury. He had my shoulder and arm feeling 200% better than before.
                      Then I fell and experienced a "stinger" - found that I had very severe stinosis in around C5 and had to have surgery to remove C4-T1 inclusive and get fitted with titanium fixtures - end up w/ Brown-Sequard. The xrays that the chiro took never showed the severity of the stinosis.

My Ortho dr. recently recommended a chiropractor for physical therapy when I complained of severe lower back pain. He gives me good advice on excercises I then do on my own. I get heat treatments and massages and all of this seems to help along with regular workouts. He and my doc are both marathoners and I think just being around these guys motivates me to work harder.
                      I guess the right person can help. It's all a matter of knowledge and trust.
                      You have to make sure they know what they're doing. The same dr. told me that he had to operate on someone who had a disc blown through his spinal cord by a chiropractor!

Comment

I was looking for some relief from some shoulder/back pain that I was experiencing. I thought it might be a pinched nerve or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnaz
                          I was looking for some relief from some shoulder/back pain that I was experiencing. I thought it might be a pinched nerve or something.
                          Are you SCI, Donnaz? Your profile doesn't say and you haven't indicated ...

Comment

Yes. T5 para.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                              SOME chiropractors are quacks. I've met them & stay away. However, if you find a good one, they're awesome. There's one in my town that I've seen on & off for a few years now. I typically only go to see him if I need an adjustment - he's helped in numerous ways, most notibly with my seating. For example: if I've tended to lean to a side, it's often due to a twist in my pelvis (happens occasionally from transfers & dragging myself around) - easy fix & I sit straight again. I have C5-7 fused & he knows it... still get adjustments in my neck w/o problem.

The key is finding a quality chiro. I guarantee that if you met mine you'd think differently about them in general.
                              Who's that Scott? Walker? I could certainly use a good one at times.
                              "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X