No announcement yet.

Biology Degree

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Biology Degree

    What kind of work can I do dealing with spinal cord injuries if I have a Biology degree? I'm not sure about a biology degree or microbiology degree, but I want to work with spinal cord injuries. Anyone have any ideas? I want to do research to help others in the future, so which ever I have to get, I will. Thanks guys.

    A biology degree (BS) is only a starting point (but a good one) for a variety of career tracts in SCI cure research. You need to plan to go on in school, and will probably need at least a masters degree, and more probably a PhD if you want to do research as something other than a lab tech. You specialize more in your graduate level programs. You could go in the direction of bioengineering, neurobiology, genetics, or similar field. If you are already in school working in the biology field, you will find some of the courses more interesting than others, and talking with the professors of those classes you enjoy can be a big help in helping you focus on emphasis classes, and in selecting graduate programs and schools.

    In addition, many physicians have their undergraduate degrees in biology, which is true of a lot of physician's assistants if you are interested in going into clinical health care.

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.