applying for jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

applying for jobs

I am thinking about applying for jobs, but I am not sure about the process now that I am in a wheelchair. If applying for a job through fax or email is it proper to let the person know you are in a wheelchair? and how would you do that? I kind of think of it as a first date and imagine what the persons reaction would be when they discover you are in a chair....so kinda the same when the employer sees...I dunno. I know it shouldnt matter because if you are qualified then you are qualified. Also, how do you find out for sure if they have proper restrooms etc. I would really like to get back out into the workforce but this is almost seeming like more work than it is worth.

don't mention it until you get offered an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
      don't mention it until you get offered an interview.
      Exactly, agree with Scott on this one. At the interview, let them ask you the questions, dont volunteer anything, act confident and cool.
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

what happens though if they dont have proper washroom facilities? I guess they just wont call me back?

Comment

Just check it out when you get there for the interview and if you get the job ask that they upgrade their washrooms if there is a problem.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Sh0rty
            I am thinking about applying for jobs, but I am not sure about the process now that I am in a wheelchair. If applying for a job through fax or email is it proper to let the person know you are in a wheelchair?
            No. Your disability isn't relevant at such an early stage. Wait until you are offered an interview before you start worrying about whether the place is fully accessible or not.

I kind of think of it as a first date and imagine what the persons reaction would be when they discover you are in a chair....so kinda the same when the employer sees...I dunno. I know it shouldnt matter because if you are qualified then you are qualified.
            Looks matter in personal, intimate relationships. They should be irrelevant to most jobs and professional relationships. You don't need to tell a potential employer if you are a woman, Mexican, have a large chest or an ugly face. None of that is any of a potential employer's business and has nothing to do with applying for or being offered a job.

how do you find out for sure if they have proper restrooms etc. I would really like to get back out into the workforce but this is almost seeming like more work than it is worth.
            Finding a job is work for most people. You have two options when it comes to figuring out if a particular job site is accessible for you. If it's a public place, you can go and take a look before putting in your application. Or, you can do your best to get the job and then discuss accessibility when you are offered the job.

It depends on what kind of work you're looking for and where. I've always worked in the corporate world. Front office kind of jobs. I've had little trouble with accessibility when looking for work. Working in retail or something would obviously be a bit different. The type of disability may be a factor as well. So, what kind of accomodation are you worried about other than the bathroom thing?

C.

Comment

what happens though if they dont have proper washroom facilities? I guess they just wont call me back?
              What do you need? Would you be a good enough employee to make it worth an employer's while to make those changes? Can you communicate that effectively? Job interviews are all about selling yourself.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                Job interviews are all about selling yourself.
                C.
                Confidence and Preparation.

Before your first interview gain some knowledge of the Company.
                Be prepared to answer question that maybe asked. Ask questions
                yourself regarding the job you are applying for. Good Luck and
                don't give up.

J

Comment

You need to assure your potential employer that you are capable of doing the job you are interviewing for. ABs need to do that too.

With regard to your disability, you may choose to assure the employer that you are healthy and capable of meeting the demands of the position.
                  My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

I agree with not telling the person until you get an interview. The majority of interviews I had, the person didn't know I was in a chair until they called me into their office.

However, I'm also the one that was never hired on, so it may not be the best advice.
                    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

I agree with what has been said here ... don't say anything until you are called for the interview. In the past, I've sometimes asked if there were any stairs ... but I found it is better to research that part for yourself.
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Ditto to what Lynnifer said about researching to see if there are stairs. In the past I have done a drive by to sus out the building. You can almost guarantee that if the building is reasonably new and accessible than it will have an accessible restroom too.

Ive been to several interviews, and Ive never disclosed that I was in a chair. Like others said, just act confident and cool, it will do a lot to reassure them.

Best of luck, get out there and go for it!

Comment

so I did it like you guys all said and I applied for a job today for a receptionist at a ford dealership and they called me to set up an interview for tomorrow. Now I'm freaking cus its my first interview post SCI..no idea what to wear and I have to find confidence by tomorrow too. I guess if I dont get it atleast the experience in going for the interview will be helpful in the future.
                          wish me luck.

Comment

FYI: if they called back that quickly, they likely need to fill the position ASAP.

As for confidence, you've already taken the first step by applying. Just go in there and don't even think about the chair. As mentioned earlier, you're selling yourself... which, in a business sense, excludes the injury.

As for what to wear, pick something classy. You should dress nicer for the interview than you'd expect to wear on a daily basis at the job. Remember, you're making an impression... so make it a great one. If you show the company that you care enough to clean up well & look presentable for a professional environment, that'll go a long way.

Here's hoping for the best.

Comment

so I did it like you guys all said and I applied for a job today for a receptionist at a ford dealership and they called me to set up an interview for tomorrow. Now I'm freaking cus its my first interview post SCI..no idea what to wear and I have to find confidence by tomorrow too. I guess if I dont get it atleast the experience in going for the interview will be helpful in the future.
                              wish me luck.
                              Small tip - just keep smiling and telling yourself that you really like the Ford people and that they like you. Keep breathing. This isn't life or death, nor is it the last job on Earth.

You'll do GREAT!
                              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
                              X