Heading out on your own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading out on your own

Does anyone have any wise advice, lessons learned from experience or helpful suggestions to a quad planning to live on their own for the first time?

Thanks
    phil
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

you finally moving here to the states huh? FL has beautiful beaches ya know
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Have a friend you can call thats capable of carryying you when you fall on the floor.
      www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

I don't have any suggestions but I'm going to be in the same shape hopefully very shortly. Within the next six months (that is the plan) I am planning on being out on my own with only morning and evening help. Life alert and a cell phone will be my friend.

Along with good neighbors.

Comment

Good neighbors, life alerts, cell phones. Good Ideas (TM).
          Daniel

Comment

money
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Nothing other than good luck!!!!!
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Belief...........I do far more than I ever thought capable
                C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

At C6, do you have tri's?, you should be able to do it. I'm C5/6, no tri's, and I manage. Haven't got the cooking yet, only 3 yrs post, so I use 3 visits/day.

But like everyone said, phone, neighbours, and it's a good idea to get freindly with a nearby fire dept. They're usually strong enough to pick you up, and not overly buisy.

Comment

Cellphones are your friend. Will you have family/friends/pca's checking in occasionally?

Mainly, I suggest you chain your wallet to your body when you go to the strip clubs.

Get the peephole on your front door lowered too. I recall you're not living in Safety Central there...
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

AO, how independent are you? Will you be working, going to school?

I'm a C-6, 16 years post and 11.5 years living on my own, paying my own way, etc. I'll write more later, but know that you can do more than you might think (like Rhino said); it may be hard as hell, but the reward of being out on your own is well worth it, even if you don't have a lot of money.
                      Last edited by Scorpion; 16 Oct 2006, 5:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                        Haven't got the cooking yet...
                        Cooking isn't that hard, it just takes careful practice. Often I'm so lazy or just busy with work deadlines that I just nuke something or make a sammich. But when I'm not too lazy or busy to actually use the stove and oven, I enjoy the process of preparing the food and cooking it, and I find a lot of satisfaction in doing it. I also like experimenting with ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                          But like everyone said, phone, neighbours, and it's a good idea to get freindly with a nearby fire dept. They're usually strong enough to pick you up, and not overly buisy.
                          Brilliant idea! Never thought of that.

While I don't live alone (technically the parents live with me!) the times I don't have people around are characterised by obsessive planning. A cellphone (preferably with a bluetooth headset and voice-speedial) and/or life-alert are great for when your planning fails.

Assuming finances go my way, next year I'll have to investigate driving (C5/C6 with no tris). No doubt we'll be swapping stories.

Chris.
                          Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

To answer a few questions. I'm C6 with one 4/5 tricep, I work, mostly from home but do go into my office a few times a week. I'm fortunate in that I'm financially very secure. I think I'll employ a full time housekeeper to start with ... maybe that's a cop out?

I'm reasonably independent but nowhere where I'd like to be.

About the cooking - Scorp, do you use a regular stove/oven? I guarantee I'd burn myself to cinders before successfully cooking a meal!

Thanks for the suggestions!
                            _____oOo_____
                            Phil C6
                            "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by AO
                              I think I'll employ a full time housekeeper to start with ... maybe that's a cop out?
                              Nah, not a cop-out. It's a great time-saver if you can afford it, especially for a quad.

Originally posted by AO
                              About the cooking - Scorp, do you use a regular stove/oven? I guarantee I'd burn myself to cinders before successfully cooking a meal!
                              When I'm not using the microwave, yes. The risk of burning yourself is why I said careful practice. A stove/oven with the controls on the front is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X