Zozobra-Beth's in Santa Fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhino-

Porking Pad not seeing much action lately, other than canine-on-gimp. It was named back in our youth. (Yes. Jill keeps her furniture a LONG time! )

Jill claims that we christened that piece of furniture in a fit of unreasonable optimism, and that it has actually never been officially "launched". I'm pretty sure she's full of crap on that one though...Somebody, at some point, must have gotten some. It's at least 15 years old!
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
      Rhino-

Porking Pad not seeing much action lately, other than canine-on-gimp.
      EEEEEEwwwwwwwww
      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Well, that wasn't meant to infer any sexual activity, Gutter-Brain.
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Bethany, you home yet or still toolin round NM? How are you feeling? Better I hope.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
            http://www.zozobra.com/

I'm still in Santa Fe New Mexico, staying with friends and trying to get healthy. Tonight we are going out (gasp!) to do something unrelated to acupuncture, massage or yoga.

Every year, they build a 50 foot tall pinata type thing called Zozobra (The Gloomy One). Amidst much fanfare, fireworks and celebration, he is stuffed with shredded paper including divorce papers, police reports, just general trouble, and he is burnt. I think the history is hilarious. It comes from one of those odd mixtures of pagan and Christian celebrations. The Yaqui Indians used to build an effigy of Judas, fill it with fireworks and burn it during Holy Week. I guess that whole Jesus on the cross and rising from the dead thing didn't satisfy them? They wanted to see Judas get his!

In the 20's, some rebels decided the Fiestas week in Santa Fe had become too commercial (they should see it now!) One of them, named Will Shuster, built the first Zozobra. He built it, and improved on it, every Sepetember for 39 years. He then deeded it to the Santa Fe Kiwanis. It's a big fundraiser for them.

I'll report tomorrow. Or whenever I recover LOL. We're tailgating first, then my friends get to struggle to get this damned wheelchair in. As we know, where there's a will there's a way.

"Zozobra is a hideous but harmless fifty-foot bogeyman marionette. He is a toothless, empty-headed facade. He has no guts and doesn't have a leg to stand on. He is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. He never wins. He moans and groans, rolls his eyes and twists his head. His mouth gapes and chomps. His arms flail about in frustration. Every year we do him in. We string him up and burn him down in ablaze of fireworks. At last, he is gone, taking with him all our troubles for another whole year. Santa Fe celebrates another victory. Viva la Fiesta!" - A.W. Denninger

Beth:

I leave the CC boards for a month or so to enjoy life with Annie and I come back to find you out in NM with Graves Disease for Christ's sake... This is not what I expected. This is not acceptable behavoir... BTW, I mailed you a copy of NEWTON AVE the first week of Aug. - did you get it? It contain's Del's October. I hesitate to ask but how is your father?
            Get yourself de-stressed sweetheart... is there anything I can do?

Lots of love my friend,
            rus
            www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

I'm glad you're having fun Betheny you deserve it! I'm having my own getaway next week.
              Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Working...
              X