No announcement yet.

STEVE IRWIN"croc hunter" is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was surprised too when i heard it was a sting ray. i thought it would have been a snake. it really is too bad.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I heard on FTA that there is only 3 recorded deaths ever from sting rays, Steve is number 4. He was swimming above the ray apparently when it got startled and jabbed its sting up into his chest.

Comment

this is awful. i figured he'd be got by a croc or something also.

Comment

i've never seen croc hunter but i'm sorry for his wife & family too.
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

Originally posted by IanTPoulter
            I heard on FTA that there is only 3 recorded deaths ever from sting rays, Steve is number 4. He was swimming above the ray apparently when it got startled and jabbed its sting up into his chest.
            Is a ray's sting the tail? I saw it on the news and thought someone shot a blade at the ray and accidently hit Steve. The blade looks so perfect, like a metal blade. So, what's the ray's sting?
            AstrO

Comment

Originally posted by NetoAnAstro
              Is a ray's sting the tail? I saw it on the news and thought someone shot a blade at the ray and accidently hit Steve. The blade looks so perfect, like a metal blade. So, what's the ray's sting?
              They filmed it, not sure what freaked the sting ray but they are lightning fast. He was so close he didnt stand a chance of avoiding it.
              http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
              FOOTAGE of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin being fatally gored by a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef has been handed to Queensland police as fans worldwide come to grips with the "freak" death.
              Irwin, 44, was killed almost instantly when the stingray stabbed him in the heart with its poisonous 20cm barb as he snorkelled off Port Douglas, in north Queensland, yesterday morning.
              His American-born wife, Terri, was trekking in Tasmania's Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park when the news broke of her husband's death and was last night being raced back to Queensland with her two children Bindi, 8, and Bob, 2.
              "The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said boatowner Peter West, who viewed the footage afterwards.
              "There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious ... something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality."
              Last edited by IanTPoulter; 4 Sep 2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

it has 'barbs' on its tail, very sharp much like shark skin is...as rays are in the shark family.....barb on tail actually pierced ribcage and heart, like knife wound with no blade................this, according to my 13 y.o. walking nature encyclopedia....t.i.f.w.i.s.
                Last edited by justadildo; 4 Sep 2006, 1:06 PM.

Comment

He was cool and nice dude.He will be missed.
                  Be yourself!!!
                  http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                  BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                  Sponsored Athlete
                  http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                  www.genegvd.com

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
                    He always did seem to push the limits (messing around with a 14' croc with his 2 month old "gator-bait" baby girl in one arm) and I imagine when the cameras were rolling he may have pushed even a bit harder than was his usual practice for the ratings that his antics awarded him. Or maybe it was just a freak accident.

At first I thought this thread was a joke as his ratings or at least the "novelty" of his show had died for me a couple years ago.

Too bad for his wife and two kids though. I think he was very close to his father who taught him to work with animals, especially reptiles, at The Australian Zoo so it must be a great sadness for him as well. I never saw his mother on the show so don't if she's alive or not.

His reported wealth is to be over $40,000,000 so his family will be taken care of financially.

I wonder if he'll be buried in his khaki shorts and shirt?
                    Hi Bob,

I thought exactly what you said. He did push the limits. Truly a sad day.

Comment

They said when it's tail hit him in the chest that it poked a hole in his heart. Heart felt condolences for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_Nastier
                        Just read this on Yahoo. What a horrible way to go.
                        That's exactly the way he would've wanted to go....Doing something he loved....He was too wild to die of old age in his bed....

Feel bad for his family though...

Comment

I think he would have wanted to go while doing something he loved. I feel really bad for his young kids though. It will be tough for them growing up because they will be reminded of it by everyone.
                          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Stingray's barb can be up to 20 cm (8 inches long). Most people who are stung accidently step on them and suffer a leg wound. We have all the cool nasty animals!!
                            So there we were, Two against ten thousand.
                            **** we killed those two!!

Comment

i will miss steve and his tv.shows.i cannot belive that he died.i think that everything is happend to a person ,good thing or bad thing is all about his destiny and his mission on this earth.he died doing what he loved to do.
                              is too sad when young people die.

Comment

Originally posted by jayday9
                                That's exactly the way he would've wanted to go....Doing something he loved....He was too wild to die of old age in his bed....

Feel bad for his family though...
                                X's 2

Feel bad for his wife and kids,but..when you play with shit that can kill you,smile when it does..addios pal!

Comment

Working...
                                X