Conquering Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conquering Anxiety

The Effexor I've been taking seems to have lost its effectiveness. I suffer from almost as much panic symptoms as I did without it, perhaps even more in some circumstances. Rather than up the dosage, I'm going to ween off and quit.

I was wondering what others have done besides Rx drugs to battle anxiety and panic attacks. Any good natural supplements help you? Any other suggestions?

edited
    Last edited by keps; 3 Sep 2006, 3:49 PM.

Comment

Meditation.

Comment

Todd, I PM'ed you here...

Teena

Comment

I agree with meditation. Also counseling - a good therapist can really, really help. I had severe anxiety when my son was born; it came hand in hand with severe postpartum depression. My therapist was the key to anxiety quelling, not so much the meds.

I also highly recommend aromatherapy. Light a candle, incense, wax "tarts" (yankee candle has them for example) and breathe in the smell as you relax your body and visualize the anxiety draining away. Something about the smell, and choosing whatever relaxes you, really helped me.

Good luck Todd, I've BTDT. And it sucks.
          Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel
            I also highly recommend aromatherapy. Light a candle, incense, wax "tarts" (yankee candle has them for example) and breathe in the smell as you relax your body and visualize the anxiety draining away. Something about the smell, and choosing whatever relaxes you, really helped me.

Good luck Todd, I've BTDT. And it sucks.
            I haven't made a study of aromatherapy but know it can work. Another source of useful aromas is herbal/flower essences, many of which have effects associated with them, i. e.

Basil (Sweet) Essential Oil: Warming and toning. Restoring peace of mind and counteracting depression. Clarifying, uplifting, energizing.

Rosemary Essential Oil:
            Refreshing, empowering, mind-clearing. Very popular in skin and hair care. Has been known to help enhance memory.

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. No phobias here that I am aware of, just general anxiety.

Comment

Sorry to hear they are giving you some problems, Todd. A little suggestion on my behalf .. relaxation exercises and deep, deep breathing also.

Hope you feel better soon.

Raven
                Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
                but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

imho people should never take pharmaceutical psychotropics without getting counseling too (even tho they do, all the time). getting both increases the effectiveness of the drugs and reduces the need to keep upping the dosage.

there are a number of psychotherapeutic interventions to deal with anxiety - cognitive therapy, desensitization exercises, relaxation training etc. think about what approach you like and find a therapist who is skilled in that area.

the new agey things like aromatherapy are so far unproven but some people swear by them.

also: have you ever been evaluated for PTSD?
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

I'm not sure I have PTSD. I took spasm medication for several years post-injury. After stopping the spasm medication, my panic symptoms started occurring. I think the spasm medication was keeping me calmer all those years.

Comment

I'm sorry Todd, hang in there. My mother meditates and it has helped her through the cancer, she also saw a therapist.
                      Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Todd,

I also deal with anxiety and I'm certain I deal with PTSD. I've never been crazy about being on medications either. Right now I'm on cymbalta, it seems to help but it also helps with my pain. I would have to agree with others and say that you should try counseling. I also think its important to find someone you feel comfortable with...don't be afraid to change therapists if they don't seem to work for you. I know this from first hand experience. I also go to counseling on a weekly basis now. Hopefully with counseling they can find the root of the anxiety and give you tools to deal with the panic attacks. With the help of counseling and a psychiatrist(I think they prescribe meds) maybe they could find a medication that would work better for you.

As far as natural remedies, I've tried St. Johns Wart in the past. I think it is primarily used for depression though. I've also used 5HTP. In addition to supplements that was all that I was taking pre SCI. I have dealt with depression for quite a while, the anxiety and PTSD is all related to my injury I think.

I was on Effexor pre SCI...its kind of weird when you come off of it. Even gradually. I had these weird kind of "shocks" for lack of a better word in my head. They did eventually go away...but just so you know what to expect.

I hope this is helpful.

Jennifer

Comment

Todd,

I go on and off with anxiety issues myself. I have PTSD, see a therapist, meditate(breathing and manta), paint and write.... but also find that some anti-spasmodics/benzodiazepines also help by relieving my muscle tension and those crazy unpredictable spasms -- which in themselves cause anxiety i.e sometimes I get volitile hand spasms and don't want to crash into people or objects in public.
                          i tried all antidepressants available but my body reacted w/ more tone/spasms...and thus not too helpful. so 4 me a ongoing holistic approuch is working best.

But, then again I do know toooooooo many people who are not injured who have much more anxiety than I do. soooo....We could just be living in the age of anxiety.
                          Best

Comment

I found Xanax to be a specific for anxiety attacks. Works like a charm. The new antidepressents, though, (zoloft,paxil, etc) actually caused it for me. I dumped them all.

-Chuck-
                            ~Gentleness in speech and action goes a long way
                            toward convincing me that someone has assimilated the lessons of life~

Comment

Jennifer,

In early 2005, I went to a psychiatrist because of panic symptoms. The first month or so of trying medications was annoying. I'd get these strange hot flushes throughout my body and they only intensified when I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. Oh boy! It was awful fearing those would never end.

Comment

Working...
                              X