This Heat Is Killing Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Heat Is Killing Me

I don't know about you but this 95 degree weather is killing me. I am a C5 C6 incomplete. I have been told that when paralyzed you don't sweat below the level of injury. I don't know why but I don't sweat anywhere. Not on my head, arms, chest anywhere. I haven’t sweated anywhere since my injury 4 years ago.

I use the external cooling devices like neck scarfs, hat inserts and wristbands. If it is hot enough I will wear the vest with the frozen inserts in it. Makes a huge difference.

Comment

Since you don't sweat at all, keep fluids up as much as possible to cool your body. It's easy to overheat and not about it.
      If there is light
      it will find
      you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Having a mist of cool water sprayed on you at intervals can also help. Kind of like artifical sweat without the aroma.

Comment

I recommend that too. Check out the MistyMate products. Wheelchair athletes often use spray bottles of water to cool themselves down. At the NVWG we also use damp towels kept in a cooler with ice. You can put on a damp t-shirt too (best if you are male). Add a fan and you should cool off quite a bit.
          http://www.safetycentral.com/batopfanspra.html

I know some people with MS who have had success with this unit:
          http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca.../sku__SI758SL2

Do you have air-conditioning? We consider it a medical necessity, both in your vehicle and in your home for those with higher SCI. If your physician writes a good letter of medical justification, you may be able to get some funding for this from your insurance company.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have used a mistymate. At least this year in Alaska the heat will not be a problem for the games.

Comment

I bought a portable air conditioner which has helped a lot during the recent mid to high 90 degree weather here (and supposed to get hotter). Expensive but I can place it where it doesn't blow right at the bed.

My wife used damp washcloths to cool off with until I bought a little Mistymate a few weeks ago. She loves it; we definitely recommend it. Downside is the price - "sale" $20 plus I think it was around $9 for shipping. But nevertheless it was worth it.
              - Richard

Comment

I have tried everything but when its 90+ nothing works good. I just go inside.

Comment

It must be that jacket you are wearing

Originally posted by bcripeq
                  I have tried everything but when its 90+ nothing works good. I just go inside.
                  I'd be hot too in 95 degree weather .
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  challenges you're dealt but
                  the challenges you seek...If
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

thats my cool vest! LOL. Actually I have a cool vest and it works best but looks dorky as hell. I take it on long trips in the desert in the summer just in case.

Comment

For the first year, I couldn't take anything over 80 degrees...I would overheat like like a car with a busted radiator.....Now, I'm freakin' cold blooded! I'll go out on the deck and sun myself like a snake or something when its 90 out....And if it's below 65, I'm putting on long sleeves....It's the exact opposite of what I was pre-injury....

One thing I still can't take though is the humidity....I need to move to Arizona or something....

Comment

I can't deal with hot weather at all. I have been like that my whole life but it has gotten worse since my injury. Anything over 90 and I won't go outside. Even 85 is hot to me, if I am in the sun.

The worst part about it is when I get too hot, it is almost impossible for me to cool down. I have tried all of those suggestions but when I get too hot the only thing that works is to go inside and lie down with a fan blowing on me.

Comment

i don't sweat either, i just find shade now and then and pump the fluids
                          Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
                          http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                          My regular blog:
                          http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I've been an independent c7-c8 quad for 29 years but

heat is one that I couldn't over come. Over the years I have increased my heat tolerance. But my body tells when me it's time to get out of the heat. I as well use a spray bottle and drink extra fluids on hot days. Today is suppose to be 106 degrees where I live.
                            Originally posted by tbdeaux
                            I don't know about you but this 95 degree weather is killing me. I am a C5 C6 incomplete. I have been told that when paralyzed you don't sweat below the level of injury. I don't know why but I don't sweat anywhere. Not on my head, arms, chest anywhere. I haven’t sweated anywhere since my injury 4 years ago.
                            Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Comment

mistmate rocks. getone on ebay cheap
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X