Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes

I just realized today (Two years and seven months to the day post) that I have only used one pair of black shoes that I bought after leaving the hospital, and my old tennis shoes that were so worn and comfortable that I still use them all the time.

I guess time has come to buy new shoes. I use shoes that tie down for every day and tennis shoes for the weekend. I used to be a 9 1/2 triple E (very wide shoes) and I am concerned about buying the right shoes, and giving them the right treatment (stretching or whatever) before I wear them. I do not like velcro tied shoes. Any tips? Did everyone go a size or 1/2 size bigger after the accident like they recommend in rehab, or do they still buy the same size? I do not think I have a major swelling problem, eventhough occasionally my feet do swell a little.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I went from a size 81/2 D to a 9 4E for the edema and found that few stores carry extra wide sizes. I get best results/selection from Hitchcock Shoes and on the internet. I think New Balance has the best selection of tennis/walking shoes in extra wide.

Comment

Thanks, never heard of Hitchcock shoes. Will look them up.

Comment

I would definitely recommend wearing shoes that are at least a size larger than your pre-SCI shoes. (I recently learned from a shoe salesman that each USA 1/2-size increment is only 1/16 of an inch.) A shoe that's too small poses a very real risk of causing a decubitus ulcer. Hardly worth the risk.
        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Nothing but New Balance for me....Wide, and lightweight...

Comment

tprewitt, Hitchcock shoes is an excellent site, and seems reasonably priced. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Comment

Originally posted by jayday9
              Nothing but New Balance for me....Wide, and lightweight...
              same here.. i went from a size 10, normal width to a 11 1/2 4e.. oddly enough stores stock these.. NB are always available in all colors and sizes..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

New Balance for me too!! I wear a 925 got what they called a roll bar??? not sure what that is but I use to wear a 12 A Now 13 EEE

Comment

I just skip shoes whenever possible and do barefoot routine. Sandals or flip flops if I have to.
                  C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by trainman
                    I just skip shoes whenever possible and do barefoot routine. Sandals or flip flops if I have to.
                    I have smashed my feet and toes a few times and it just scares me to go around barefoot.

Comment

i have major problems with shoes foot pain due to neuropathy and the nerve damage . i wear a afo and actualy walk pretty good with it , i do have incrediable pain and very few shoes will fir with the afo, i also need a lot of toe room as any pressure on the toes or ankle will increase the pain levels 10 fold, the footwear that i have found that works with the least amount of pain is keen shoes, and even better but no good in cold weather is the croc clogs and now i wear the mion shoes, both can be worn in the pool. i need a back strap or they will fall off. the mion are butt ugly but they reduce my oxycodeone usage by 10 mg a day .
                      both the crocs and mion guard the toes from getting smashed and are very light. one of my problems with open toes sandals is i kick the back of steps and cause damge to my toes , since i have poor coordination of my foot.
                      Last edited by metronycguy; 5 Mar 2012, 7:02 PM.
                      cauda equina

Comment

new croc with neoprene tops

http://tinyurl.com/zmnj3
                        cauda equina

Comment

went from 10.5 to 12's, great excuse to buy sveral pairs of new kicks. Pumas all the way, they've got some funky colors and styles, great conversation starters
                          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

A thought...

I was actually contemplating just the other day on buying some new tennis shoes. Not that my current ones don’t fit but I’m tired of looking at the same ones. After all it seems shoes last longer and the soles tend not to wear out when you aren’t walking on them.

I went from a 12D to a 13EE after my accident. I have found out in searching for a larger and wider shoe, nothing works better than Reebok or New Balance. I like my current Reebok shoes but am moving into a New Balance. New Balance actually I think might be one, if the best shoe company out there today; as they started out as an custom-made orthopedic arch support company in the early 1900’s.
                            Last edited by adren_junkie; 26 Jul 2006, 3:54 PM.

Comment

i just bought new shoes. i don't have any width issues (thank god, but i'm sorry that you do have this problem)

i got a pair of k swiss and they are pretty forgiving, they stretch fairly easy. and i also got a pair of pumas that are mesh and they feel like a slipper! very comfy.

i don't know if they come in the size you need, sorry.
                              Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
                              http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                              My regular blog:
                              http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X