suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suicide

how long post-injury do suicidal thoughts stop?

This is an extremely general question.
    Just remember that plenty of people walk up and jump of bridges.
    Just because we are paralysed,doesn't mean we have cornered the market on topping ourselves.

Comment

I have never had suicidal thoughts, thank God. What is your injury level and how long has it been since your injury. Believe me, the first year is really rough, then you gradually begin to adjust and measure life by new standards. I actually lead a busy and happy life. Don´t ever lose hope.
      T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

You'll have good and bad moments as long as you live so I don't think suicidal thoughts ever permanently go away if you have them.

Comment

They get to be less and less over time but like Todd said, If you have them they're never going to go away completely. The important thing is not to ACT on them! The only thing you can do is wait it out for better days because they will come.
          Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
          Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cripply
            how long post-injury do suicidal thoughts stop?
            For me the first 3 years were the worst.
            Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

How long have you been in treatment?
              "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français
                You'll have good and bad moments as long as you live so I don't think suicidal thoughts ever permanently go away if you have them.

Yeah, what Todd said. Kudos for wanting the thoughts to end instead of your life.
                Death and taxes

Comment

I disagree - I think the suicidal thoughts should go away when some sort of adjustment is made to the injury and/or depression goes away.

My grief lasted 2 years after the accident but I've had some bouts of depression since which may or may not be related to the injury. Strangely I wasn't suicidal after my accident but I did feel hopeless at times.

If you have strong suicidal feelings it may be wise to be treated for depression as a safety precaution.

Comment

I agree that SCI's don't hold a patent on suicidal ideation. AB's knock themselves off daily and they CAN walk. If you think your depression is related to your SCI, meaning you didn't have suicidal thoughts prior to your injury then it's probably situational and you should see a rehab. counselor. If you had these thoughts pre SCI and generally have poor coping skills, it may be chemical related and you should be evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Comment

you will go through the 5 stages of grief. the end is acceptance and then you will be fine.

this happens to talk about death, or the loss of a loved one, but also goes for what we injured folk go through.

1. The Denial Stage (This isn't happening to me!)
                      This is the time when you cannot accept the loss or change in your life. Disbelief and denial cause you to think "This is not happening to me!" If your partner has died you find yourself waiting to hear from him or catch yourself picking up the telephone to call him. If your partner has left, you may believe you can repair the relationship and seek to change her mind.

2. The Anger/Resentment Stage.(Why is this happening to me?)
                      You may feel angry from the beginning or your anger may not arise until you have experienced some other emotions like confusion, shock, sadness, yearning, guilt, humiliation and despair. Anger and resentment are powerful emotions that can be aimed at the circumstances, your partner, and even others who may or may not have a role in your situation. Your anger may be masked or misdirected unless you acknowledge it.

3. The Bargaining Stage (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
                      This stage often branches out from the denial stage. You find yourself making deals to restore your relationship or change the situation. With the death of a spouse you many bargain with God for a time. In a broken relationship you may try to negotiate a reunion or make promises in order to repair the relationship.

4. The Depression Stage. (I don't care anymore)
                      Once you accept the situation and that it isn’t going to change, that aknowledgement can lead to depression. Feeling down, sad and hurt are absolutely normal emotions when you've suffered a personal loss. This kind of depression is normal, and not alarming. However, if you have feelings of unrelenting lethargy, suicidal thoughts, or are unable to function reasonably you should seek medical attention and follow doctor's orders for treatment of your depression.

5. The Acceptance Stage (I'm ready for whatever comes next.)
                      You are beginning to heal and have positive feelings about your ability to move forward. You find peace and the ability to enjoy yourself or others without guilt or remorse. You realize you may have setbacks and feel pain from time to time, but you are surviving and regaining your sense of self.

I hope this works for you. i used it, and found that knowing this ahead of time helped me recover emotionally from my injury alot quicker.
                      Josh S.
                      T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Comment

For me my second year post was my low point. I was 22, I broke up with my GF, my friends were changing, and I had no clue where I was going in life. One way I looked at it is was this: I will never ACCEPT my disability, bit I will LEARN to live with my disability. I was also fortunate to have a good psychologist who helped me thru the tuff times.

I knew I was doing pretty well when a few years later I realized that the person I have become is someone I finally like, and the hardships I've dealt with are factors that helped develop into who I am today. Tell me 15 years ago they will never find a cure, and I'd say kill me now. Ask me 10 years ago if they could take me back in time and make it so I never was injurred, I'd say Lets Go! But present me with that same situation today, and I'd say no way, mainly because of what I described above. That's not to say when they do find a treatment/cure that is safe and reliable, I won't get it done. I definitely will. I am just more at peace now then I ever thought I would be.
                        "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Mine get stronger every day. I pick myself up and find a sliver of a reason to keep going and then something crops up to knock my 'couldn't care any more' meter right back down. I'm luckier than many who post here in relation to pain, function and finance but from an immediate post injury situation where I felt quite positive because:

I believed I would achieve independence
                          I had a supportive wife and a life to get on with
                          I had a good job I could return to

15 months on.........

Independence isn't here yet - need help dressing/transferring
                          My marriage is over - looking at a move to live on my own which scares me to death
                          Issues with work as a crip which stress me out and make me fear for my long-term future in current job

Tell me to suck it up and stop moaning - it's what I tell myself - but if there was a button I could push which simply shut me down painlessly my useless fingers would be pawing it about now.
                          C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino
                            Mine get stronger every day. I pick myself up and find a sliver of a reason to keep going and then something crops up to knock my 'couldn't care any more' meter right back down. I'm luckier than many who post here in relation to pain, function and finance but from an immediate post injury situation where I felt quite positive because:

I believed I would achieve independence
                            I had a supportive wife and a life to get on with
                            I had a good job I could return to

15 months on.........

Independence isn't here yet - need help dressing/transferring
                            My marriage is over - looking at a move to live on my own which scares me to death
                            Issues with work as a crip which stress me out and make me fear for my long-term future in current job

Tell me to suck it up and stop moaning - it's what I tell myself - but if there was a button I could push which simply shut me down painlessly my useless fingers would be pawing it about now.
                            It would be helpful if we all wrote our injury level and time post injury (T6 2 1/2 years post) in order to put everyone's comments in perspective.
                            Good thinking (below).

T11-12 44 years post. I also knew I was paralyzed at the time of gunshot trauma but didn't expect to live so wasn't concerned about it. As I kept hanging on through transportation and delirious happenings at hospital I thought, "WTF, my mind has always been my best feature; I'll stick around and see what develops".

I don't know what to tell you except that I have been exactly where you are now. I can tell you that you would be greatly missed and that I fear that Myc0 has taken that course, as he said he was considering.

Happily, I was wrong but he's still talking (joking?)about toppong himself.
                            Last edited by jukespin; 04-13-2006, 01:07 AM.
                            "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
                            and sometimes I just sets.
                            "

Otis Redding I think

Comment

I agree with most of the comments posted. It would be helpful if we all wrote our injury level and time post injury (T6 2 1/2 years post) in order to put everyone's comments in perspective. Thinking back a little better, I think I went through 4 of the stages that Josh Stevens mentions. I don't think I went through the I don't care anymore stage, but the stages went through quickly. I think it may have helped that I knew from second one during my accident that I was not going to walk again, and the process began right at that moment. I had a wife, kids and extended family to live for. Plus the fact that my accident happened while doing something I loved (Motocross) may have also helped acceptance.

After that, I think keeping busy helps. Seek help. If we are lucky soon we will have scientific breakthroughs that may be risky, but if it was me, I would rather take a shot at any quality of life improvement in a few years than to end it all.
                              T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X