31 Years Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 Years Today

April 5, 1975 a drunk driver changed my life when he made a left turn into the path of my motorcycle and turned me into a c5-6 quad. I am 60 years old and have now spent more than half my life as a quad. I never thought it would last this long, always thought, hoped and prayed there would be a cure someday. When I was first injured doctors told me there would probably be a cure in 5 to 10 years. The sad part is they're still telling the same story. The cure is 5 to 10 years away. I doubt I'll see it in my life time. So life as I know it goes on. Beats the hell out of the alternative. But there are some days I wonder if it truly does.
    Happy Anniversary!!

I am 42 years old, 2 1/2 years out. Of course I hope that a cure is found as soon as possible. But I put my faith more in improvements in our quality of life, like solving the bowel and bladder control complications. A magic wand cure is something that no matter how bad we want it, I doubt I will see it in my lifetime. It is just way too complicated. I read too much about incomplete injuries living in unbearable pain. I am a complete injury and my level of pain is low. I wonder if there is a sign of things to come if a cure is finally developed.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Happy anniversary from another Old-Timer. I turn 50 in May and will celebrate 34 years as a C5-6 exactly one month later.

The doctors never, ever mentioned a cure to me. In fact they told me I'd probably be dead by my early 40's. Proved them wrong.
      "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Happy Anniversary to both of you. Early 40's?? Wow. A friend of mine got injured in 1976 and is now 73 years old and still going strong. I hope that some excercise, a healthy life and a positive mental attitude will get me there too, cure or no cure.
        T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Glad you both are still around.

Only the strong....
          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Wow, the old timers club here, me too, coming up on 25 years May 9th

Originally posted by tprewitt
            April 5, 1975 a drunk driver changed my life when he made a left turn into the path of my motorcycle and turned me into a c5-6 quad. I am 60 years old and have now spent more than half my life as a quad. I never thought it would last this long, always thought, hoped and prayed there would be a cure someday. When I was first injured doctors told me there would probably be a cure in 5 to 10 years. The sad part is they're still telling the same story. The cure is 5 to 10 years away. I doubt I'll see it in my life time. So life as I know it goes on. Beats the hell out of the alternative. But there are some days I wonder if it truly does.
            Happy Anniversary!!
            It is not an easy life, that is for sure, but like you said, at least we are still alive.

I often try and calm people down around here who get so swept away in the thought of a Cure happening anytime soon. I believe for now until there is conclusive proof that there is something available that actually works in Chronic injuries, we are best off to try and do the best with what we have. I am thankful that I had a Doctor who forced me right from the start to accept the fact that I was a Paraplegic and there was a part of me inside my spinal cord which had died and was not going to come back on its own, of course me being the type of guy I am I tried everything I could to get at least some return, everything I tried failed. I always hated the feeling I had of being unsucsessful in even moving so much as a toe, but looking back on it, there was nothing more I could have done and it is just the way it is.

Anyhow, glad us long term chronic SCI's are still around. At least that is one thing that has improved with modern medicine, keeping us alive for longer periods of time.
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            challenges you're dealt but
            the challenges you seek...If
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I am another one of the old timers. I'm 67 and it will be 32 years for me on the 20th. I was told right from the get go that my chances of ever walking again were pretty slim. One of the members has sig line that says something like "Can't I have one do over." I would like to have one of those too.
              William M.
              T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Comment

I feel lucky that we have some old timers around. I'd put myself somewhere in the middle as I hit 21yrs this summer on July 29th.

I don't feel I'm doing so well ... in danger of losing my leg to a pressure sore. If I could just have avoided those damn things, it would have been okay.

ETA: Sometimes this life feels like suspended animation even though I've gone on and worked, dated, went into my first mortgage etc.
                Last edited by lynnifer; 04-06-2006, 02:16 AM.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                X