No announcement yet.

What caused your SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband became a T8,9,10 complete after falling 16 feet from an extension ladder he was on to cut a branch off a tree in our backyard. The tree doesn't even belong to us; he was trying to make it easier to get the tractor thru the gate. The branch was thick and heavy with new growth and it cracked when he got half way thru it with the chainsaw. It swung back and hit the ladder dead-on. He will be one year post on Sunday (Easter). It was a gorgeous spring day that day until he fell. Amazing how our lives can change in a split second.
    Two other friends we know with SCI:
    1. Fell off her bike after hitting curb. Her shoe was stuck in the toe-clip. T5 complete
    2. Fell off dirtbike on trail after hitting a rock. C4,5 incomplete

Comment

• Originally posted by Cherrylips

Mike, aged 24, who was an architect by trade and worked on church domes cracked C6 changing a lightbulb in his house. Stool collapsed under him.
      Cherrylips

Don't know about you but it's actually the ones like this which make me wince even more when you think that the threat of SCI stalks everyone, everyday.

It's not a freak accident, it's an everyday occurence. People tend to think 'oooh, paralysed in a car crash or diving in a lake.........won't happen to me........da de da. What's on TV?'

They don't think 'oh my god, I could get up from the sofa, trip over the dog and crack my neck. In a wheelchair, shitting myself, no cure'

It's almost the mundane that should be publicised.
      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

• Send one woman on one motorcycle off the road down into a ravene landing on a dead tree and you get me- T4 complete. NO drugs, NO alcohol, NO meds. Ten of thousands of cross country miles, half a dozen safety refresher courses and a superbike school just months prior. I still don't know the what/how/why.

Comment

• My husband is a T11 complete due to falling off a ladder (28feet) while trimming a huge elm in our back yard over Memorial Day weekend 2005. He was 61 years old and in excellent health when this happened and I think that's why he survived. He had several fractures but a burst T12 and T11.... they put rods in from T8 to L2... it will be one year on May 28th. But he's doing great. Luckily I was in the back yard when it happened... and I did not see him fall... the ladder fell, the sawzill fell, he fell and his glasses were found about 15 feet away. I found him flat on his back... and had to give him CPR... the paramedics arrived 5 minutes later and the rest is history.
          He's independent... the only things I have to do is lift his legs into the tub and help put his pants on in the am. He went back to work 5 months after the accident. He's amazing!

Comment

• Originally posted by RehabRhino
            Cherrylips

Don't know about you but it's actually the ones like this which make me wince even more when you think that the threat of SCI stalks everyone, everyday.
            Scary stuff. I guess there'll always be the old 'it'll never happen to me' mentality - i guess its a defence mechanism

Comment

• Originally posted by Cherrylips
              Scary stuff. I guess there'll always be the old 'it'll never happen to me' mentality - i guess its a defence mechanism
              Like i said earlier; a friend sliped a disc in his neck, claping, coughing and turning his head........SCAREY

Comment

• mva - driving home from work, approaching an intersection on the inside lane of an undivided four lane road, 18-wheeler with box trailer waiting to turn left in the opposite side of the intersection, for some strange reason I was prepared that maybe the truck would turn left in from of me. as I approached the intersection, it was clear that the truck was not going to turn in front of me, then next thing i saw was an S-class turn left (from a through lane) in front of the truck that was waiting to turn left as i entered the intersection. turns out the S-class got tired of waiting for the truck to turn left and was going to turn left around the truck. braked hard at 50+ mph, let go of the steering wheel just before impact and then t-boned the S-class. so far so good, i remember straightening up and reaching for the door handle, everything worked, no broken thumbs and was then hit in the driver's door by a car that was travelling behind me. things just weren't working out that day.

Comment

• I thought it would be fun to ride the mechanical bull at our county fair. It wasn't. The operator decided to "crank it up a few notches" throwing me 8 1/2 feet to the end of the mat. I landed on my head breaking C6/7, leaving me with an incomplete SCI at T1. Don't ride mechanical bulls.
                  Last edited by jplw; 04-21-2006, 01:46 PM.
                  jOE
                  www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

• sorry

My son Michael is in hospital again. I'm distracted. I still want to send this thread to the Senators. Please please send more statements.
                    Originally posted by jplw
                    I thought it would be fun to ride the mechanical bull at our county fair. It wasn't. The operator decided to "crank it up a few notches" throwing me 8 1/2 feet to the end of the mat. I landed on my head breaking C6/7, leaving me with an incomplete SCI at T1. Don't ride mechanical bulls.

Comment

• I was snowboarding with a friend on my Freshmen spring break. I stupidly took a park kicker (big jump) at the end of the day, overshot it with too much speed and landed badly from about 15-20 feet of air. I stayed conscious the whole time. I was 18, had to be air ambulenced for surgery, lost a lot of blood, and scared the shit out of my mom. I'm T12/L1 incomplete, but back in college.

Best part is I took that jump because I wanted a cool picture of me doing a method grab. Crippled by my own damn hubris, but I got the photo.
                      Last edited by Surf_Sister; 04-21-2006, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf_Sister
                        I was snowboarding with a friend on my Freshmen spring break. I stupidly took a park kicker (big jump) at the end of the day, overshot it with too much speed and landed badly from about 15-20 feet of air. I was 18, had to be air ambulenced for surgery, lost a lot of blood, and scared the shit out of my mom. I'm T12/L1 incomplete, but back in college.

Best part is I took that jump because I wanted a cool picture of me doing a method grab. Crippled by my own damn hubris, but I got the photo.
                        Always the last run eh......Sounds simular to my worst snowboard wreck, fortunately i only got a concusion and 2 shiners..........Wow looking back now I always seem to land on my head....

Comment

• surf sista lets see that foto
                          Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

• It was a late Sunday afternoon on June 5th 1977 in downtown Virginia Beach, Virginia. I should have been heading home, but I had to take one more swim and made one more dive into the surf. The tide was out and the bottom was heaped up and I dove straight head-first into the sandy bottom. The rest is as murky as that bottom, but it involves angels and other miracles.
                            If I had known I was going to live this long and be thhis healthy, I wouldn't have done that. To bed there are no "do-overs" in this category of life.

Comment

• Pretty stupid accident. I took a simple fall in my kitchen while getting a piece of cheesecake on my birthday, landing on a metal strip that divides the flooring from the carpet. Contusion injury L4-S2, incomplete. No insurance, no rehab. Now, 16 yrs later I developed a C2, incomplete with central cord due to cervical stenosis.

It can happen to anyone.
                              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

• Originally posted by nicotico
                                surf sista lets see that foto
                                I second that..........post it lady
                                C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Working...
                                X