Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a job/career?

Do quadriplegics get jobs?

I had the great misfortune to get injured c6-7 after working for 1 year out of college. I did mortgage loans for new construction residential housing. This gave me long-term diasability and ssi. The first 3 years after my injury, I was in no shape to try going back to work. No vehicle, crapping my pants all the time, weak.. etc etc.

It's 10 years later and I've survived to this point, but what I'm currently doing isn't working. I'm up to my ying ying in debt. I've brainstormed on different avenues to take and continue to hit constant roadblocks.

I make just enough to not qualify for help...which I don't want.. and don't make enough to continue paying caregivers, rent and medical premiums that rise 20% a year..in addition to rising medical costs.

I graduated with a finance degree and honors course curriculum which seems worthless. I've busted my butt getting up in the 4-5 am hours and going to bed 9-10 pm spending a fair amount of time trying to make my business work.

My business has failed. I'm facing bankruptcy which would look wonderful applying for finance related jobs. I don't drive. I deal with constant muscle tone in my lower back and upper body. I've got basically no friends or business contacts. I've burned my parents out. I'd like a career with which I could support myself and feel like I have some self worth again.

I joined a creative writing class... which I missed b/c my van was an hour late. They can get me to the grocery store right on time though. I've picked up some xhtml books b/c that sounds interesting.. but.. man.. I'm about at the end of my rope trying to figure things out and picking myself up for the umpteenth failure. I've got no other choice.

I'm not sure what else to say.
    Last edited by ouch; 01-27-2006, 02:58 PM.
    www.myquadriplegia.com

im inc c4/5 18years post. i have worked since graduating from college. imo having a disability has nothing to do w/ getting a job. if your qualified and confident you will get a job. i hear ppl whine about discrimination because their in a chair,. its basically horseshit. sure if your fat, illiterate, wont make eye contact, and piss yourself in the interview you arent going to get hired.
    honestly, if you are qualified, aggressive and will help the companies bottom line you will get hired.

try going back into the lending field. its what i do and has treated me very well.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Quadriplegics get jobs all the time. You also can start your own business. For instance, I am an artist for the past 20 years and I also opened my own health care agency. Follow your heart and bust it.

Also, you might want to check out a book, "48 days to do work you love" by Dan Miller. He has ideas on work for the disabled.

Comment

It is unfortunate that you did not work with a good DVR counselor immediately after your injury to get back to your old job. A 10 year gap in employment will be a serious mark against you with many employers.

Why did you never learn to drive?

You have a degree in finance...how long would it take you to retrain to book-keeping or CPA?

Have you considered doing volunteer work for a non-profit that could use some of your types of skills? This can help you develop a resume that shows more recent dependable work history and productive activity (even if for no pay).

I would also recommend contacting your DVR and ask for them to open a case for you. If they are reluctant, ask to speak to a supervisor until you get someone who will listen.

In addition, you need to get your health issues under control. Do you have a good SCI physician who can help you?

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yes, but it's no cake walk. I'm C3/4 and have working for over 22 year's. I'm coming up on by 25 years in a chair. I've been blessed to be able to telecommute for the last 5 or 6... or is it 8 years. Never had a real job before my accident.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
            sure if your fat, illiterate, wont make eye contact, and piss yourself in the interview you arent going to get hired.
            That's funny comming from fat guy with (I assume) no sphincter control.

All the jobs I'm trained and qualify for require movement and dexterity that I don't have. Sure if you've alwys had a desk job you can continue it but what about the copier repair guys? Fiber optic line splicers? Dance instructors? Equipment operators? Most would rather die or live poor than work a desk.
            Death and taxes

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine
              All the jobs I'm trained and qualify for require movement and dexterity that I don't have. Sure if you've alwys had a desk job you can continue it but what about the copier repair guys? Fiber optic line splicers? Dance instructors? Equipment operators? Most would rather die or live poor than work a desk.
              When I broke my neck the only jobs I qualified for required working with my hands: welding, mechanic, fabricating, etc... I didn't want to live a shitty mediocre life mooching off the government, so I busted my ass working through college to retool my skill set to something I could do. ANYONE can learn a new trade if they want it bad enough. It’s people like you making excuses for not being employed that give us crips a bad reputation for being a drain on society.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine
                  That's funny comming from fat guy with (I assume) no sphincter control.

THOSE WHO WANT TO WORK WILL WORK. SLACKERS WILL ALWAYS BE JUST THAT.

actually spiney, i have some spincter control. and im certainly not fat, quad gut sure, but body fat, not. coming from you skinney, thats the pot calling the kettle black. .
                  Last edited by fuentejps; 01-29-2006, 10:40 AM.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Csponge,

Are you not sitting at a desk reading this?
                    Last edited by NWC4; 01-28-2006, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I broke my neck in the 11th grade and still chose to enter the construction industry (architecture) because it was what I had always planned to do. Been at it for 13 years now. Something you might consider is going back to school to get your master's degree and seek out a teaching position at a college. They pay well and the hours are great.

good luck...jusy keep trying and it will happen..the chair wont hold you back....
                      C5-6 - 22 years

Comment

just remember, i dont pay someone to shit and piss for me..
                        That is a very unfair comment and you know it. Must be nice to be an incomplete and have control of b&b. Not all of us have that luxury.
                        www.cawvsports.org
                        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                        We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

just remember, i dont pay someone to shit and piss for me..
                          You're a real class act

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                            That is a very unfair comment and you know it. Must be nice to be an incomplete and have control of b&b. Not all of us have that luxury.
                            it's also discrimination and an employer can be sued for making such a statement. ditto the fat comment. as far as illiterate, check your own spelling before you point fingers. C7 and been employed for 20 years, injured almost 21.

one more thing. of course having a disability impacts getting a job. it doesn't stop one, but it definitely impacts one. choices are narrowed, transportation can be a problem, reliability of caregivers (if needed), etc.
                            Last edited by cass; 01-29-2006, 12:39 AM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                              that was directed at cspine noone else. i edited it ladies. certainly wasnt direct at u guys
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X