Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Pryor Dies, had MS for years

Comedian Richard Pryor Dies

AP - 18 minutes ago LOS ANGELES - Richard Pryor, the caustic yet perceptive actor-comedian who lived dangerously close to the edge both on stage and off, died Saturday. He was 65. Pryor died shortly before 8 a.m. of a heart attack after being taken to a hospital from his home in the San Fernando Valley, said his business manager, Karen Finch. He had been ill for years with multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease of the nervous system.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/entertainment/richard_pryor

anyone heard the richard pryor sketch, "a wino meets dracula"....funny.

Comment

Damn.....another good is gone.

Comment

How sad. He was always one of my favorite comics. I got to see him live at the Comedy Club in LA (a surprise as he was not on the bill) when he was working up material after his recovery from his burns. He was great, and we were in the front row.

He will be remembered and missed.

MS is a horrible disease...my mother has it too. I hope that some of the attention he brought to it, and the fund raising he helped with will soon bring a cure and real treatment!

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Wow, depressing

He was my favorite comedian, I wish things could move faster in the way of research, there are many people losing battles to MS, Parkinsons, SCI, etc.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

RIP comedy legend. Got to respect a man who made swearing an art form
            C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Richard Pryor has lost his battle against Multiple Sclerosis.

It's always sad to see and learn that another disabled actor has lost his battle against a disease or condition because we disabled people lose a public face who fights or is an example of living with a disability.

A public face like Richard Pryor, Michael J. Fox, Lance Armstrong, Dana Reeve, Christopher Reeve, Dudley Moore and many more have always given us hope for a stronger fight for finding a cure for SCI, MS, Parkinson's disease, Breast Cancer, testicular cancer,etc... and when some of those "soldiers for finding a cure" have started to disappear due to the complications of their diseases we can see how little we have advanced and we realize that even people who could pay all the money of the world for a therapy, treatment, cure, etc can't find that cure available for them either, because there is nothing still!
              No matter if we are famous or No famous, all of us are disabled and all of us suffer the same, all of us know that we still need that cure, people like us want The Stem Cell research to work faster and if possible having that so promised cure for all our situations and diseases ASAP, unfortunately we can realize that all about Stem Cell Research goes so slow due to narrow minds, who will die the next?, we have already lost: Dudley Moore, Christopher Reeve, now Richard Pryor, of course they are the famous names on the list but what happens with the No famous names?, the list would be bigger to mention...we can only keep the faith and wait for that cure...

Meanwhile we can only pray for all disabled who have already gone,especially a prayer for Richard Pryor who has passed away today at 65, he suffered heart attack and died before 8:00 am,his battle against Multiple Sclerosis started on 1986, he was a very controversial actor, for the people like me who lived the 70s and 80s (we know his career was older than the 70s and 80s), we saw an actor who used to break rules and was a foul-mouthed comic in the business.
              It's a little ironic but on Superman III,he acted with Christopher Reeve, there is a great scene in which Superman is carrying R. Pryor while flying, well now both of them are resting and yes it's sure Superman is always flying as much as Richard Pryor is still a foul mouthed comic/actor wherever they both are...They rest in peace.

Sandra Villanueva
              Wheels for Independence

Comment

He was just so great...

...much of what he said, I carry with me. I can't watch old sci-fi movies now, with all-white casts, without thinking of what he said: "Don't they think black people will be in the future? What they gonna DO to us??????"

His account of addiction, and the crack pipe "talking" to him, is one of the best descriptions of addiction I ever heard: Ohhhh, Richaaaard! Richaaaaard! I understand you, Richard. These other people, they don't understand you. Me and you gonna go in the room, and just TALK, Richard. Okay?

Funny as hell, but so true and tragic, all at once.

He also imitated middle-class white people in a way I'd never seen before (pretty passe now, I guess) and mirrored our behavior back to us.

Middle class white guy in theatre, to black man: Um, excuse me, but weren't WE sitting here?

Black man: You might have been, but you ain't now.
                He also said, when white guys got mad, they used words he never heard of, like "Peckerhead"...

His impersonation of staring at a Doberman and the Doberman "replying" (GRRRRRRRRR stoplookinatme GRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIdontplaythatshit!!!!)... used to just KILL me, and I think of it whenever I see a mean dog--his routine always reminded me not to look it directly in the eye, which I am always foolishly tempted to do.

Other things that were funny: accounts of oral sex; impersonation of women peeing in the woods; impersonation of his pet monkey; impersonation of his wife's car when he shot the engine out. The "old man" and preacher characters that he did were similarly terrific.

I just had so much respect for him, and will miss him so much.
                "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Comment

Originally posted by DA
                  anyone heard the richard pryor sketch, "a wino meets dracula"....funny.
                  I have every album he ever made.
                  He was the funniest person on Earth. Even the language he used..well he made it funny because it fit the story. And he was a most wonderful teller of a story.

Peace Richard. You have and will be missed.
                  Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                  X