John Callahan - cartoonist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Callahan - cartoonist

I just got given a couple of books by John Callahan, cartoonist - he is very very funny.
    I suppose he is well-known Stateside but I hadn't seen any of his work before. For those who don't know him, here is his website:

http://www.callahanonline.com/index.php

check out some of his cartoons and be prepared for anything from a wry smile to full-on bellylaughs!
    Last edited by carbar; 28 Nov 2005, 5:47 PM.

I've met him a few times around town. I chatted with him one day outside my house. He had a good friend who lived two doors down from me. Between her dying from cancer and me moving to a different neighborhood, I haven't seen him in over 4 years.

He's really nice. I little weird, but a little weird is a good thing IMO.

Comment

My aunt gave me a book of his cartoons and his autobiography several weeks ago. His autobiography was really good, he's had an interesting life and gone through a lot of miserable stuff. 360 just featured him recently, and it was interesting apparently he's taking a break from cartoons to write music.
      De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

I have all his books, and love his cartoons. I used to love it when ABs would write the the newspaper complaining about how his cartoons disrespected people with disabilities, not knowing that he has a tetraplegic injury himself. I don't agree with his politics (he ran for Congress a few years ago) but his wit is great.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

He ran for congress!? Whoa. I'm not sure of his politics, though I don't agree with all of his personal views(like on lesbians or Birkenstocks) but he is a very human guy, so it's easy to relate to his struggles. Reading his book made me glad I wasn't born Catholic and that I'm not an alcholic...yet.
          De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

I thought his birkenstock jibes were very funny!

My favourite cartoon of John's is the one depicting an SCI centre next to a church(?) and the choir are singing "you'll never walk alone" - and the SCI folk can hear it! That cracked me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
              I've met him a few times around town. I chatted with him one day outside my house. He had a good friend who lived two doors down from me. Between her dying from cancer and me moving to a different neighborhood, I haven't seen him in over 4 years.

He's really nice. I little weird, but a little weird is a good thing IMO.
              That's nice to hear. I agree, a little weird is not such a bad thing.
              What about Chuck Palahniuk - he lives in Portland doesn't he? I don't know if he is a "little weird" but his books are. I like them, they're edgy. "Choke" was a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Myc0
                apparently he's taking a break from cartoons to write music.
                Yes, I read somewhere that he and Tom Waits are working together.

Comment

Originally posted by carbar
                  What about Chuck Palahniuk - he lives in Portland doesn't he?
                  I dunno. I didn't recognize the name and had to google it. I do recognize some of his book titles, however I've never read any of them.

Adding Callahan's autobiography and a Chuck Palahniuk book to my Christmas wish list...

Comment

It's a good biography with a great title "Don't worry, he won't get far on foot". I like his cartoon with the KKK guys talking about how they love it when their sheet-klan costumes are fresh from the dryer. I also like the cartoon that he got the biography title from. Chuck Palahniuk is great, I think my favorite book of his is Invisible Monsters, possibly because that was his first book that I read. That book makes the deviants on Jerry Springer look like total amatuers. Fight Club is my absolute favorite movie of all time, and it's weird because for once I actually liked the movie better than the book. It's like the book was the rough draft and the movie was the fully completed and fine-tuned version.
                    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Thanks for that Carbar.........I love anything politically incorrect. There is very little I won't laugh at.
                      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Working...
                      X