Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use the 'regular' public transit in your city?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can you use the 'regular' public transit in your city?

    Just curious, seeing everyone complain about the gas prices, if I'm the only one who takes mass transit (not paratransit) regularly? If you don't, why not?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

    #2
    Grrr, I tried to make this a poll but screwed up. Obviously some places don't have accessible transit, or any transit at all.


    Where I live, about 75% of the transit system is accessible and I use it regularly, we only use the van to get groceries etc. or if I'm trying to go somewhere that will take me over an hour on the bus. It sucks in the winter sometimes, especially when I have to get to the bus at 8 am and no ones shoveled the sidewalk yet but this year my husbad will be dropping my daughter off at daycare and dropping me off at the light rail transit. from there its 20 minutes to University.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

    Comment


      #3
      Windsor just acquired some accessible buses within the last five years.

      The public service sucks though in that it doesn't go near far enough for me to take to work (city encroaching on small town) and it doesn't run in most places 24/7.

      I only took the bus once more than twenty years ago when I walked and was a kid. I remember being excited. I've been dying to try it again (can we say sheltered life? ... aiy carumba).

      I'm thinking that I like this global warming thing even if it puts my farming brother out of business. I hate snow!!!! As I get older, I hate it even more!!!!
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

      T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

      Comment


        #4
        Local bus isn't wc accessible, no trains.

        I have to drive to Manhattan 2days a week. Only 25 miles away but I sit in an hour and a half traffic..

        Paratransit does not cross county lines. I need to drive 125 miles round trip some days for work at .32 cents a mile reimbursement I'll be working from home alot more.
        Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

        I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

        Comment


          #5
          Lately I've been known to be riding the bus!!

          Comment


            #6
            Weve got a few W/C accessible buses in the city now.I use them from time to time if ive got a lot of running around to do downtown,but living in the rural 10kms out of the city i have to drive in anyways,so my van is always around..

            Comment


              #7
              Our buses are accessible, but our city is so spread out that it is VERY inefficient to take the bus. For example, I live 14 miles from work, and I can drive it in 20 minutes. If I were to take the bus, it would take me over 2 hours. I'm not in a chair, so you would have to add the time to get me loaded and unloaded if I were. I understand why few people in our community who are employed take the bus!

              (KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

              Comment


                #8
                Our local buses are accessible by an eextended ramp at the front door. This does not work well if you use a powerchairr. The manuveuring is horrific. Then once in the center aisle has everyone facing in and theyall have to lift feet off the ground and turn sideways (not cool for gals in short skirts). Then yyou have to turn arround and there is one push down brake once your left rear wheel is locked in place. No other straps or second rear lock. So with every corrner you swing a lot. I stick to paratransit when necessary.

                Our area does have a Connect-A-Ride between counties but it would take hours to cross the 2 counties to DC or Baltimore from here. And in each case that second county is all of about a 2 minute ride. Why can't they work on a grid in this area like counties elsewhere?
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Most of you guys and girls in USA,Canada and other Countries must feel lucky,here in Mexico we don't have accessible public transportation,only in Mexico City there are a few buses adapted but the waiting time for them can be more than an hour!

                  I only can go out if someone in my home gives me a ride
                  Wheels for Independence

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Wow, our bus system sounds great! Our buses also have a ramp that folds out from the front door, the corner to the aisle can't be too bad because I see people in scooters on the bus. The front seats fold up and I back in...I don't tie myself in because it takes to long, I only ever slide around if my tires and the floor is wet. Sometimes in the winter the ramp freezes down but the driver can usually kick it loose.

                    The LRT (subway) here has one accessible door (a special button lowers the sill to be even with the platform) - it gets pretty crowded at peak hours but I try not to travel then. Even worse it when school gets out, I refuse to travel between 2-4 because those teenagers are so irritating and ruder than anyone else.
                    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The problem with Mass Transit around me, is that it only runs on 2 major streets, they are approximately 3-5 miles apart so there is a huge gap in the service. So it is not something I am able to use locally
                      Nikki Taylor

                      When you are given lemons, make lemonade

                      T-10 Comp

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Salimacatwoman
                        Most of you guys and girls in USA,Canada and other Countries must feel lucky,here in Mexico we don't have accessible public transportation,only in Mexico City there are a few buses adapted but the waiting time for them can be more than an hour!

                        I only can go out if someone in my home gives me a ride
                        That must be terribly frustrating Salima. The paratransit cooperative that started here many years ago was a project of getting many sponsors, users, family members and government officials together. It is now split into regular paratransit and paratransit for the super incredibly poor who have no car and are eligible for medical assistance in addition to Medicaid. What I find frustrating is regular paratransit also picks up able bodied seniors right at their doorstep even if there is a bus stop on their corner. Senior citizens here vote.. They also can sign up very easily by providing proof of age. I, and other quads, paras, etc., who wish to use the same service for anything besides doctors' visits and therapy must fill out a form that is about 40 pages long.

                        Does your town have sister cities anywhere? Sometimes those organizations can help if you can name a project. I'm really good at creative use of government money.

                        I also was amazed that on a cruise in 2001 that visited Cornerbrook, Newfoundland in Canada the province or town borrowed the one paratransit bus to use for disabled tourists. They sent the dates ships were expected out well in advance so no one made appointments or planned for rides those days. Then they charged tourists much more than the normal Canadian would pay for use of their bus with a lift and it shuttled people into the town center and back to the ship. This way all the tourist money would go towards buying a second bus for the citizens faster than they could by using tax dollars. Very creative in my opinion. And a very good reason for the disabled to visit the beautiful area of Cornerbrook if possible. As their sidewalks break up from winter weather they are now replacing them with curb cuts and composite cobblestones. These stones are less likely to crack and buckle than concrete and do not hurt your butt like the ones in Europe. They also make the historic area of town look much more pleasant and, well, touristy.
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                        Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
                          That must be terribly frustrating Salima. The paratransit cooperative that started here many years ago was a project of getting many sponsors, users, family members and government officials together. It is now split into regular paratransit and paratransit for the super incredibly poor who have no car and are eligible for medical assistance in addition to Medicaid. What I find frustrating is regular paratransit also picks up able bodied seniors right at their doorstep even if there is a bus stop on their corner. Senior citizens here vote.. They also can sign up very easily by providing proof of age. I, and other quads, paras, etc., who wish to use the same service for anything besides doctors' visits and therapy must fill out a form that is about 40 pages long.

                          Does your town have sister cities anywhere? Sometimes those organizations can help if you can name a project. I'm really good at creative use of government money.

                          I also was amazed that on a cruise in 2001 that visited Cornerbrook, Newfoundland in Canada the province or town borrowed the one paratransit bus to use for disabled tourists. They sent the dates ships were expected out well in advance so no one made appointments or planned for rides those days. Then they charged tourists much more than the normal Canadian would pay for use of their bus with a lift and it shuttled people into the town center and back to the ship. This way all the tourist money would go towards buying a second bus for the citizens faster than they could by using tax dollars. Very creative in my opinion. And a very good reason for the disabled to visit the beautiful area of Cornerbrook if possible. As their sidewalks break up from winter weather they are now replacing them with curb cuts and composite cobblestones. These stones are less likely to crack and buckle than concrete and do not hurt your butt like the ones in Europe. They also make the historic area of town look much more pleasant and, well, touristy.
                          Sadly and unfortunately there is almost nothing that can be done for "changing and improving" things for disabled people in Mexico,I have been in lots of places,tv programs,radio interviews and you name all the options for talking about these issues and the authorities say: "we have taken note and will try helping",just promises and not work at all.

                          It's so frustrating and wasting time that one day you decide to follow your life in the best way you can and work harder in order to have "a comfortable lifestyle",I have said many times that in Mexico being disabled is like being a second class citizen and yes only with $$$ you can live a more independent/comfortable life,I feel lucky in that sense,I am not rich,but I have my job and also I have my parents who "help me". My job is not so good because I earn my money depending the number of students I have (I am self employee,I work at home) and that is why I still can't afford living by myself,1)issue the $$$$,2)transportation...
                          Wheels for Independence

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Salima could you drive if a car or van had hand controls? This depends a lot on severity of injury, medications and spasms and what kind of chair you would use when driving or if you can transfer easily to drive. I know $$$$$$.
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                            Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
                              Salima could you drive if a car or van had hand controls? This depends a lot on severity of injury, medications and spasms and what kind of chair you would use when driving or if you can transfer easily to drive. I know $$$$$$.
                              Hi Sue,yes,I could drive a van with the controls,my spasms are very controlated (no problem) and I don't use any medication (just Ibuprofen for pain in my back or leg-lol can someone believe only one leg gives me more pain?),my problem is $$$
                              Wheels for Independence

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X