No announcement yet.

What do you wish people knew about SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wish people knew about SCI?

There was a topic close to this a while ago. Most of the post echoed a statement like, "I'm still a person". We all know that. I am hosting a Spinal Cord Injury Information booth at a local festival on Sept 10. At this booth I plan on having info about; injury prevention, injury levels/function, complete vs incomplete, stats, the daily life of a spinal cord injured person (including B&B), current programs, therapies, research, and legislation effecting the quality of life and the prospect of a cure for paralysis, and everything in between.

What specifically would you like people to know about SCI? What do you wish you knew before you got hurt? Can you point out any documents that sum up the info that you want people to have?
    jOE
    www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Originally posted by jplw
    There was a topic close to this a while ago. Most of the post echoed a statement like, "I'm still a person". We all know that. I am hosting a Spinal Cord Injury Information booth at a local festival on Sept 10. At this booth I plan on having info about; injury prevention, injury levels/function, complete vs incomplete, stats, the daily life of a spinal cord injured person (including B&B), current programs, therapies, research, and legislation effecting the quality of life and the prospect of a cure for paralysis, and everything in between.

What specifically would you like people to know about SCI? What do you wish you knew before you got hurt? Can you point out any documents that sum up the info that you want people to have?
    that we,men. still get erections and lead normal active sex lives.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Accessibility issues, and how many places really aren't accessible that AB seem to assume are.

Sim

Comment

That paraplegia is not always from the waist down.

Comment

That every sci is unique ...

even when its at the same level!!!!

... that it makes a difference if you are an old codger like Shaun or a young whiper snapper like Josh or Noah

... that it's not "just" about not being able to walk

... money matters

Obieone
          ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
          Jane Siberry

Comment

Just because the injury level sounds close or similar it does not mean that they can always do the same things. You body structure and things of that nature can help or hurt your ability to perform certain tasks. Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Oh wait I want people on this board to be able to realize that!
            www.cawvsports.org
            The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
            We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
              Just because the injury level sounds close or similar it does not mean that they can always do the same things. You body structure and things of that nature can help or hurt your ability to perform certain tasks. Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Oh wait I want people on this board to be able to realize that!
              realize what?????????
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I will have info on sexual function, injury levels and complete vs incomplete, and economics. I will put up more on accessibility issues and age. As far as far as it's not "just" about not being able to walk, I found this http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pd...eu.2004.21.1371 .
                jOE
                www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

Strictly speaking for myself...1-that im not fragile and breakable and 2-im not angry and bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun
                    Strictly speaking for myself...1-that im not fragile and breakable and 2-im not angry and bitter.
                    I hear ya, bro.

Comment

Stamina and endurance can't be bullied back on us like AB's. Yes, I walk some. Yes, I use a chair. No, it's not laziness that keeps me from walking full time.
                      Blog:
                      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

That wheelchairs are uncomfortable bloody things.

Comment

*you don't have to bend over and get in my face to talk to me.

*please, continue to touch me. (hugs, handshakes, applicable smooches)

*I know I'm adorable (lol), but staring is just plain rude.
                          An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Shortly after shattering my spine and having doctors cut me open and install titanium hardware to hold the remains together, patting me on the back is not an appropriate way to encourage me. I couldn't believe how many therapist slapped me on my very tender and traumatically injured back while I was in inpatient rehab, HELLLLOOO! And I'm not saying I'm fragile or that it's still a problem, but you gotta let a wound heal over before ya start smacking it. sheesh
                            Last edited by Myc0; 08-19-2005, 12:05 AM.
                            De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Being in a chair doesn't mean I need your help. I have the ability to speak, so I'll ask if I need anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X