Disabled and proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled and proud

Did anyone catch this parade? http://www.disabledandproud.com/ I don't think the message and the saying "disabled and proud" coincide very well. Maybe that's just me. Any way...I think it would have been neat to see.
    jOE
    www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

It's weird to me, jOE. But it's better than "Disabled and Ashamed" which I suppose it what they're opposed to. Sometimes it's easy to feel ashamed although I've done lots of things more shameful than breaking my neck.
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
      It's weird to me...
      Makes a lot of sense to me - kinda like Black Pride or Gay Pride. Of course, it's really a bigger group of people, but fragmented by diagnosis and prognosis. Besides being a hard group to come up with a catchy name for, it's also a group with a chance to throw off its differentness. I think that we must work with the entire disabled community in order to have any real power in DC. There are lots of people in wheelchairs other than those with SCI's.
      Carl

Comment

There are lots of people in wheelchairs other than those with SCI's.
        My thoughts exactly when I read this.

Comment

Well yeah, people are disabled many different ways. To me the "Pride" parades etc. are always for a trait that people wouldn't change if given the option. Like Black Pride, they don't wish they were white, Gay Pride, they don't wish they were straight. It's a part of their identity that they cherish and want to honor.

Disability strikes me as a different category. Like I said, it beats being disabled and ashamed though.
          Blog:
          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

why do they have to call themselves "disabled and ....... " i mean won't people already know that they are disabled if it's a parade of wheelchairs????
            that's just the way I roll.

Comment

i'm disabled and proud......to have lived through my accident. it could have been alot worse..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

I don't think they are saying they are proud they are disabled. Just saying they are proud of who they are.

And if treatments should change their physical/mental
                status..they will still be proud of who they are.

There are many black and gay and just about everyone that has a physical/mental difference. Of course noone wants or needs to change being black or gay..but they too would like to change their physical/mental status..all the while staying proud of who they are.

The point being IMO is why would anyone be proud of something they have absolutely no control over?
                You do have control over WHO you are...and you can be proud of that person..or in some instances ashamed.

And often we are a combination of both. That is how you learn who you are.

But you never have to be ashamed of a physical or mental disability..or proud of it..it just is that's all. Just is.
                Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                  Well yeah, people are disabled many different ways. To me the "Pride" parades etc. are always for a trait that people wouldn't change if given the option. Like Black Pride, they don't wish they were white, Gay Pride, they don't wish they were straight. It's a part of their identity that they cherish and want to honor.

Disability strikes me as a different category. Like I said, it beats being disabled and ashamed though.
                  That's kind of how I saw it too, Betheny. I am not proud to be disabled, however I am proud in the fact that I don't let my disability keep me down. That might be what they mean, but it didn't sound that way to me. I still think it would be a cool thing to see.
                  jOE
                  www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

[QUOTE=jplw I am not proud to be disabled, however I am proud in the fact that I don't let my disability keep me down. [/QUOTE]

X's 2,i like that..

Im more disabled and dangerous..

Comment

I'm proud to be an American.
                      I'm proud to be a Northeastern University graduate.
                      I'm proud of the men and women that serve this country.
                      I'm proud to have overcome the challenge of a disability.

I'm proud of a lot of things, proud of being disabled is not one of them. I find the name "Disabled and Proud" to be somewhat sadistic. Proud is misplaced here. I do not measure my worth by my disability, nor does it define who I am.
                      C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

Working...
                      X