Quads on there own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quads on there own

so im a 25 year old C5/6 com. quad who has been injured for 6 years and i need to get out of this house.

right now i live at my parents house and have been here since my SCI. my house is a tri level. my room is curently the old dinning room space, 12 x 13ft. i am on the main floor, which is the floor when you come in from outside. on my floor is the kitchen and living room. then downstairs theres a family room, landry/2nd kitchen, and bedroom, half bath. then therexs 6 stairs that go upstairs were there is 4 bedrooms and 1 and a half bath.

i must be caried down 5 stairs 3 days aweek in my manual to take a shower in my landry with 3 curtins i hang from the celing. it sucks because sometimes there arent 2 people in the house in the morning. and i fell down them once tring to just get down with my PA, but thats anouther story.

i just also need more space my stuff is invading the living room now. my mom has been talking about mabede moving but shes been saying it for 2 years now. thius winter she recostructed the kitchen and is thnking of staying here for 1 more year. I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE.

i am preety independent, well for c5 complete. i get helped in the morning and at night, o and for dinner, but spend 8-10 hours by myself most days.

My question is to quads at my level who live alone or with a PA or roomate.
    How is it?
    How do you afford it? i get $599.00 from SS, and spend about half for car payments and insurance. lookin for work, but its tough. i have a degree in webpage graphic design.

just IM me if you could tell me more, AIM
    screen name J2extreem

i also just need my own spzce more space

J2

25/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    http://www.extremechairing.com/membe...members_J2.htm
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

Im C5/6 and only receive help for about an hour in the morning.I let my folks move in with me but there retired and travel and are seldom here,my place is like a crash pad for them(and they pay my taxes,ya,im bastard [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])..Other than that i dont know what to say man,ya get yourself into a routine and after awhile its a cake walk.George Foreman is a quads best friend by the way,his cookin stuff rules that and the bbq[img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]...If ya have any specific questions just ask..

Feel free to e-mail me if ya want man,i say go for it and good luck buddy [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

Comment

only thing that worries me is your income, its like next to nothing....i would get your finances together.
      a happy crip is a crip w/ money, lol. it sure helps

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Are you eligible for attendant care services from your state/county? Have you talked with your local ILC about any other programs you may be eligible for? Are you on a Section 8 waiting list?

You might be able to afford this with a roommate situation in an apartment, and part time attend care, but it would be tight. How hard are you job shopping? You really need more income and some decent benefits from a job to be able to afford attendant care on your own. Talk to your ILC and see what they can think of as far as resources for you.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Try to exceed your expectations!!! If you are a true c5 w/ optimism you can live alone. Cathing is the main thing and its easy to do. Get in a manual chair since you're young and able, u can still transfer. Don't limit yourself to what you're supposed to do. If you need suggestions, email me.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Comment

Originally posted by Landon:

Try to exceed your expectations!!! If you are a true c5 w/ optimism you can live alone. Cathing is the main thing and its easy to do. Get in a manual chair since you're young and able, u can still transfer. Don't limit yourself to what you're supposed to do. If you need suggestions, email me.

yup, landon hit it on the head. if you want it do it. definately dump the power chair. youll be so much better off, stronger, ect w/ out it.

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps:

only thing that worries me is your income, its like next to nothing....i would get your finances together.
              a happy crip is a crip w/ money, lol. it sure helps
              If your on assistance through SS, there are programs available to live in subsidised housing as well as receive financial help to attend school. Subsidised housing/apts meet housing guidelines for accessility and you can also be on state Waiver programs to receive help from PCA's at no cost living alone, etc. Once you start working however, pca help is another story. Become your own advocate and the world will be yours J2. Good luck getting out on your own. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Take advice from KLD's (sci-nurse's) post.

Take your hands off my MOJO [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

ok,

well i do have PA assist hours right now, 42 hours a week.
                Im not sure what ILC is?

Landon, i dont cath, i have a super pubic with a leg bag. I dont know about the idea of getting in a manual chair, that makes me less independent. i push my TI light chair slow and putheticly. My shoulders kill me when i push for long periods of time, and my wrists get all chopped up from turning and going back in a manual chair.

My money situation does suck. does your SS increase when you move out of your parents house?
                J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
                [url]
                www.J2RollsOn.com

Comment

J2,
                  Using a power at your level/function will enable much greater independence if you choose to live alone. Using a manual chair when you are indoors or not traveling long distances outdoors where you will encounter definite barriers, will also help to improve your strength. Know when to use either a manual or power, so YOU can be as independent as possible. 'Independence' does not necessarily mean simply pushing your own manual chair. Knowing your needs and priorities will help you determine for yourself what tool to use to enable you the greatest independence - ie going work, shopping, driving, house cleaning, etc. If a power chair will assist you in doing more on your, have greater endurance to be active and engage, etc, than so be it. Pushing a manual chair for the sake of pushing, while limiting your mobility and preventing you from doing things on your own (esp. out in the environment) may compromise your 'independence'.

If able, balancing us of both chairs, would be ideal.

Anyway... an ILC is an independent living center. You can contact ACCESS Living in Chicago, who can help you with contacts closer in your area.

Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago
                  614 West Roosevelt Road
                  Chicago, IL 60607

312.253.7000 voice
                  312.253.7002 tty
                  312.253.7001 fax

Comment

hey i could use some web design help if yer interested.

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin
                    Death and taxes

Comment

Totally agree with chick on the powerchair thing... as a C 7 I have no problem pushing a manual chair. But it is hard to carry a child, a laundry basket, load a dishwasher, swee the floors, do laundry,cook, grocery shop (with a 2 year old), ride the public transit, play tag on a lawn, etc. etc. FOR ME being able to easily do those things is independence...not pushing a chair. However I'd be in much better shape lol.
                      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Originally posted by chick:

J2,
                        Using a power at your level/function will enable much greater independence if you choose to live alone. Using a manual chair when you are indoors or not traveling long distances outdoors where you will encounter definite barriers, will also help to improve your strength. Know when to use either a manual or power, so YOU can be as independent as possible. 'Independence' does not necessarily mean simply pushing your own manual chair. Knowing your needs and priorities will help you determine for yourself what tool to use to enable you the greatest independence - ie going work, shopping, driving, house cleaning, etc. If a power chair will assist you in doing more on your, have greater endurance to be active and engage, etc, than so be it. Pushing a manual chair for the sake of pushing, while limiting your mobility and preventing you from doing things on your own (esp. out in the environment) may compromise your 'independence'.

If able, balancing us of both chairs, would be ideal.

Anyway... an ILC is an independent living center. You can contact ACCESS Living in Chicago, who can help you with contacts closer in your area.

http://www.accessliving.org/ of Metropolitan Chicago
                        614 West Roosevelt Road
                        Chicago, IL 60607

312.253.7000 voice
                        312.253.7002 tty
                        312.253.7001 fax
                        i disagree, if he can push he needs to push. it will make you much stronger much faster. as for your enviroment, youll master it. all us quads who run ultralight chairs were pathetic at 1st. a manual chair is your 1st step to independance, go for it j2

[This message was edited by fuentejps on 06-25-05 at 04:19 PM.]
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com

Comment

Fuentes, most people don't understand the stigma a w/c, especial a power one, is to you.

People do more in their lives than spend energy appearing the way you think makes them look the least disabled. Not the most able, but the least disabled.

Who is, or for that matter, who "looks' more independent. A person who uses multiple types of w/c's or no choice, always manual?

You think taking 4 minutes to climb out of a car "appears" to some as less disabled than I do, when 30 seconds after pulling up in a my van, I'm pushing away, conserving a lot more energy.

I use both a power w/c and manual one, have had 4 power and about a dozen push in the last 20 years or so. There are times when one is more appropriate for the situation than the other, "right tool for the job".

In my pushchair I cannot carry anything fragile, or unwieldy.

In my pushchair I cannot carry liquids larger than a soda can or anything that might burn me.

In my pushchair I can 't go anywhere if there's no sidewalk, no grass, woods or fields, nowhere.

I can't get back from the river, drive down the beach, run through my yard, go or do 90% of the things I do because you think it makes me look more disabled.

That's like saying "if you don't do anything in life except to unobtrusively sit in your chair (and hope nobody sees the wheels) people won't know your disabled.

You're a case study for "denial".

Comment

Originally posted by Cris:

Fuentes, most people don't understand the stigma a w/c, especial a power one, is to you.

People do more in their lives than spend energy appearing the way you think makes them look the least disabled. Not the most able, but the least disabled.

Who is, or for that matter, who "looks' more independent. A person who uses multiple types of w/c's or no choice, always manual?

You think taking 4 minutes to climb out of a car "appears" to some as less disabled than I do, when 30 seconds after pulling up in a my van, I'm pushing away, conserving a lot more energy.

I use both a power w/c and manual one, have had 4 power and about a dozen push in the last 20 years or so. There are times when one is more appropriate for the situation than the other, "right tool for the job".

In my pushchair I cannot carry anything fragile, or unwieldy.

In my pushchair I cannot carry liquids larger than a soda can or anything that might burn me.

In my pushchair I can 't go anywhere if there's no sidewalk, no grass, woods or fields, nowhere.

I can't get back from the river, drive down the beach, run through my yard, go or do 90% of the things I do because you think it makes me look more disabled.

That's like saying "if you don't do anything in life except to unobtrusively sit in your chair (and hope nobody sees the wheels) people won't know your disabled.

You're a case study for "denial".
                            if your theory were true , then everyone would use a power chair, quads and paras. but the majority dont.
                            bottom line, if he uses a manual he will get stronger faster than if he doesnt.

j2, it comes down to what "you" want...would you prefer a manual to a power chair. either way, good luck, the skys the limit for you.

Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

I agree he will get stronger quicker but he will not be more independent.

Comment

Working...
                              X