X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jadis
    Mark Zupan's blog

no movie showing here either
    Here either. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll just wait & buy the DVD. I like watching movies at home better anyway.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

how many Moms really want their sons out partying hard, talking trash, and getting clobbered daily? Note that the odds against making the quad-rugby team are just a little bit better than making a professional football team and there are almost no benefits. We'll have to travel more than an hour to find a movie theatre and actually see it.
      I know lots of quad rugby players. Many are very nice guys (and women) who don't spend all their time drinking, cursing and chasing women. Even Zupan has a full-time job. You don't have to play at the national/international level to be competitive in this game, it is pretty easy to get on a local team...there are local teams and an active league system and many of the players work or go to school and have a life that is not just quad rugby. When I go to local games, there are lots of Moms (and Dads, and sibs and girlfriends, etc.) cheering the teams on.

Zupan's bad-boy image is what this filmed needed to get attention though, so they used it in marketing. If you want to see (or rather hear) someone who comes across as a little more "normal", check out the radio interview that Andy Coen (also in the movie) did on "These Days" on Wednesday (second hour of the show) at www.kpbs.org

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie
        Here either. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll just wait & buy the DVD. I like watching movies at home better anyway.
        For me, it was going to be the first movie I have gone to since my injury in 2001.
        http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

Film about wheelchair rugby draws rave reviews, few viewers

7/30/2005, 12:37 p.m. CT By JAY REEVES
          The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The movie "Murderball" has all the makings of a big hit: Tough guys, violence, a little sex and a U.S. sports team overcoming long odds. Reviews have been fabulous.

So why aren't more people going to see it?

"Murderball" is the true story of the U.S. wheelchair rugby team, and the stars are real-life quadriplegic athletes. Their sport, also called quad rugby, is as much demolition derby as anything.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional...st=alabamanews
          http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

I watched the movie last nite, there were a total of six people in the theater and that was including my friend and myself, I was bummed out by the low turnout.

The movie's great I especially dug the Keith Cavill segments, he reminded of this guy I know. The movie was worth the 9.75.
            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

with such low turn outs, the odds of release being expanded is going to be nonexistant.
              http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

We just got back from watching Murderball in NYC at Sunshine Theater. The AC was broken in theater four where it was playing and it was really hot in there. People were angry because they really wanted to see the movie. A group of four went to get their money back. So... the mgmt blocked the doors open and shazam, people kept filing in. In spite of the heat a nearly full audience of 200 people or more all watched the movie. At the end everyone clapped. They had laughed and cried and finally just applauded. I sat there half naked having removed my shirt and using it a few times to dry my eyes. Light streaming in from the open doors left me feeling a little exposed. But hey, it was worth it. My wife and her friend loved the movie. And so did I.
                Last edited by Jeff Weeks; 31 Jul 2005, 1:51 AM.

Comment

I am going in about an hour and meeting friends there.

Hot wheels
                  Quad rugby is the inspiration behind the new documentary 'Murderball'

By James Hebert
                  STAFF WRITER
                  San Diego Union-Tribune
                  July 29, 2005

Inspirational is a Hallmark card. Inspirational is a Celine Dion song. Inspirational is a sunset or a love poem or maybe a newborn puppy.

Wheelchair rugby, also known as quad rugby, is inspirational too--onnly in a slightly different way. It's inspirational like a volcanic eruption, or a moster truck rally, or a particularly well orrchestrated mosh pit.

the rest of this article
                  and a review here:

Forces of life collide in 'Murderball'

By David Elliott
                  MOVIE CRITIC
                  San Diego Union-Tribune
                  July 29, 2005

"Murderball" is a lurid name for a sport that, in the movie with the same title, seems a little vague and silly--sort of bumper cares rugby played by guys in wheelchairs with slanted wheels that look like hammered trash lids.

the rest of this review
                  (KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i was very fortunate this past friday to be doing some experimental therapy at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta when Mark Zupan and Bob Luiano showed up in the gym for a photo shoot. after i finished, me and medic 1 went in the gym and watched the shoot and got to meet the guys. they are very cool. we also went to the Atlanta premiere of the movie where afterwards Zupan did a Q & A for the crowd. that lasted for about 20 mins. where we had to leave because of the next movie to show. there were probably 30 chairs and 250 AB's there...almost a sell-out. absolutely loved the movie...if you can, go see it.. i have a pic. with me and the guys, but the file is too large.....? oh well.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Jeff, please resize the pic or email it to jweeks@rci.rutgers.edu ..... we need to see the pic!

Comment

MSNBC's review...

Movies
                        Somehow we have been conditioned to believe that people in wheelchairs are more sedentary than the rest of us, and should be treated gently. That perception gets clobbered in "Murderball," the new documentary by Henry-Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro. In this case, the wheelchair-bound quadriplegics decide they’re not only going to compete in their chosen sport -– in this case, their unique form of rugby –- but they're going to do so more ferociously than anybody standing on two legs. "Murderball" is filled with vivid characters who have fascinating stories to tell about how they found themselves living on two wheels and how determined they are to roll over anyone or anything that gets in the way of what they want to accomplish in life. After you see it, you might want to steer clear of any preconceived notions about people in wheelchairs. (Think Film, in theaters now)

link is from their homepage
                        http://tinyurl.com/9zyy7

Comment

Went to a matinee today...it was great, but so disappointing...there were only 10 people in the theater, including me, my friend and her husband (who was the only one there in a chair). I hope that word of mouth can pick up attendance at the art theaters, but if this was the first wide weekend, I am afraid we will not get it out to the main-stream theaters. I do intend to purchase the DVD when it comes out, and I plan to attend the movie at the theater at least one more time.

(KLD)

Comment

MTV'S Jackass had a Murderball special. Kind of appropriate, the Jackass guys with the quads. Everytime I watch that show, I think Look at those idiots and I'm in a wheelchair? When they did cattleprod jousting the juice in the lower parts sure seemed to hurt the ab's worse than the quads LOL.

I swear Zupan said he wouldn't change a thing. I'll never love a sport that much.
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I saw the film friday... there were about 20 people in the theatre, and 10 of them were with me... but this was the second weekend in Chicago.

The film was great, the theatre was not - but I knew that going in. First, the automatic doors wouldn't work, which is ok since I can get myself through doors, but it was annoying. Then there are the ramps - this theatre is on four stories of a bulding - with the theatres stacked on top of each other. The ramps are crazy steep. I could never have wheeled myself up alone (though down was fine, if a little scary and without my gloves).

Then inside the theatre, the wheelchair spots are about 6 feet from the screen... man did my neck hurt by the end. Plus, they had all of the regular seats pulled out of the row with the wheelchair spots. Presumably this was to make room for more chairs since the film was about quads... In any case, I sat alone in the row, while my 9 friends sat behind me.

There was one other chair user there (double leg amputee). When he saw the setup, he immediately transfered to the stairs and "walked" with his hands up to a normal seat. I was tempted to get out of the chair and scoot on my butt up the stairs, but I didn't... the previews were already rolling.

But the film was worth it all. Many of my friends cried... the rehab scenes were a little to close to home for them I guess. I mostly laughed... I did wish it had ended differently (I won't spoil it). If it is playing anywhere near you, GO!
                              --------------------
                              "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

Comment

It opens in a theater about 30 minutes from my house tonight. This is sweet, just in time for me to advertise at the festival tommorow. The theater is mostly a mainstream theater, but occasionally gets an indy flick. Many more people in NW Indiana will see it now. Thanks Showplace 16.
                                jOE
                                www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X