" Murderball"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a review:

.... Watching them in action -- both on court and off -- smashes every stereotype one has ever had about the handicapped. It also redefines what it is to be a man, what it is to live a full life, and what it is to be a winner.

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/movies/48417

...smashes every stereotype one has ever had about the handicapped.
    Really, stereotypes about the "handicapped," I wonder what those are?

Another:

Murderball - Review

Length 85 min
    Rated: R
    Distributor: ThinkFilm

Starring: Joe Soares, Mark Zupan, Keith Cavill, Scott Hogsett

Directed by Henry-Alex Rubin, Dana Adam Shapiro
    Produced by Jeffrey Mandel, Dana Adam Shapiro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Release Date: 2005-07-08
    Reviewed by Lexi Feinberg: 2005-06-27

A Mexican revolutionary named Emiliano Zapata coined the phrase, “It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.” While the metaphorical impact of the quote is resonant, there is something amazing about seeing people inspire hope and change without ever standing up.

Murderball is a documentary following 2.5 years in the lives of intensely competitive rugby players. They slam into each other, spew obscenities, and strive to score points with passionate fervor. What separates them from typical brutish NFL players or people like Mike Tyson who lunge at ears, is that they are confined indefinitely to wheelchairs. The sport is Quad Rugby, known also as Murderball, and their goal is to excel and win big at the Paralympics. The players point out that the event is not the same as the Special Olympics (although there’s nothing wrong with that). “We’re not going for a hug; we’re going for the gold medal” says a teammate matter-of-factly.

....What makes Murderball so effective is that it debunks just about every clichéd stereotype we are brainwashed with about the handicapped. These are predominantly young men in their 20s and 30s, but other than paralysis they're just like every other guy you knew and probably dated in high school. They are pranksters, laughing and drinking at poker night, and charmers, later putting their moves to the test by approaching the prettiest girls in the bar. Although asked regularly if they are able to have sex, the answer always stuns people---yes, they can. Wild mid-air sex on a trampoline is however, probably out of the question.

.... Murderball will change the way you view the handicapped and make you embarrassed for your previous misconceptions. These quadriplegics do not want pity or sympathy; in fact they resent it. They are vibrant, prosperous people with an infectious amount of passion. We should all be so disabled.

http://www.cinemablend.com/review.php?id=1023

I haven't seen the movie but it sounds good from the reviews. This is also a good counter to all of the "I'm a quad, please do the right thing and end my useless life" movies that ab's love to embrace. What we need next is a movie about quad women that tells it like it is. One that's not angled to elicit sympathy or make ab's feel blessed and even further removed from our experiences, but a story that portrays us engaging in everyday human activities like working, getting pregnant and rearing children, paticipating in sports etc. Imagine the myths that would dispell.
    Last edited by antiquity; 5 Jul 2005, 3:42 PM.

Comment

"The more pitiful I am, the more women like me."

Oh brother.

Comment

That would be a great idea Seneca. I wonder how one would make omething like that happen.
        Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Heres the trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...ll/lg_vid.html
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Lshall82978@yahoo.com
            "The more pitiful I am, the more women like me."

Oh brother.
            My sentiments exactly.

I still think the movie looks cool.

Comment

Having seen that comment in the trailer, I believe the speaker was being ironic...something hard to convey in text.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I would like to see the movie

I am not a movie goer type, so its rare that a move catches my eye, but this would be great to see. I love the part where the guy gets into the carton and everyone is laughing and joking.

The pity thing about atracting women...thats gota be a joke, or sarcasm.
                Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
                Franklin D. Rosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                  Having seen that comment in the trailer, I believe the speaker was being ironic...something hard to convey in text.
                  I saw the trailer, so I wasn't going on just reading the quote, and I didn't perceive him as being ironic. Maybe in the context of the film, with more of the interview shown, I'll think otherwise. But he actually seemed to be saying that for real, not in jest. -shrug-

Comment

Originally posted by Tweetybird
                    The pity thing about atracting women...thats gota be a joke, or sarcasm.
                    I hope so.

Comment

Hey Kiran do you know of anyplace that has a list of Canadian dates? All the links I can find only show the dates its playing in the states

Originally posted by KiranA
                      I went to the premiere out here in Vancouver two weeks ago.

It's an awesome flick.

www.warpedtour.com

Comment

opens in ny tomorrow
                        cauda equina

Comment

sounds really great!

From Roger Ebert's review:
                          The movie works first of all as an astonishing sports documentary. The rules are simple: When you have the ball, you have to dribble or pass within 10 seconds. Cross the goal line with the ball, and you score. Degrees of disability are rated from 0.5 to 3.0, and a team is allowed to field players totaling eight points. One of the best American players has no lower arms or legs.

The players are strapped into their customized chairs, and a good thing, too, because one of the ways you play the game is to crash into an opponent and try to knock his chair over. That happens a lot. Before their injuries, these guys were jocks. They still are.
                          http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50607001/1023
                          Last edited by MrSoul; 7 Jul 2005, 10:54 AM.
                          "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Comment

To find out when it will open in a theatre near you:

http://www.murderballmovie.com/acclaim.html

Click the link on the top banner that says "Find a Theatre"

In a lot of new markets 7/22...
                            --------------------
                            "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

Comment

Well that sucks, it's not playing anywhere near me.
                              Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jimnms
                                Well that sucks, it's not playing anywhere near me.
                                Me either! I'm going to push they show it on our campus movie channel in the fall!!
                                www.cawvsports.org
                                The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                                We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Working...
                                X