Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying Life or Just Surviving

Hi

I've been giving this some thought and realized that i'm just surviving and not enjoying or making the most of life. In other words, all i do is work to pay off debt. How do others here feel?

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation" - Emerson.
    I think your lot is close to universal. I know I share those feelings frequently. Sometimes the working part is the only thing that keeps me going, mentally.
    Find some small thing(s) that take you away from the grind. I'm grateful that I can hobble around enough to go to places I used walk and run and just appreciate the outdoors.
    Good luck!

Comment

JUst SURVIVING ISNT LIVING IMO......i look forward to getting up everyday......but, i enjoy my job, and have hobbies, just a very busy busy happy life in general. its all about attitude.....

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

What does IMO mean?

Comment

Originally posted by jlaubham:

What does IMO mean?
          "In My Opinion" [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Debt is a huge trap in our society with way too easy access to credit. I get five to ten credit card offers per week. Some days I'd just like to open twenty-five accounts, get 20 large from each account and then disappear into the woodwork. Instead, it's a daily fight to spend as little as possible.

I'm surviving most days so I can enjoy those few days per year that are totally worth living.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
            ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Jeff echoed my sentiments exactly. It's all worth it for those bits of vacation time throughout the year.
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I am just surviving . I don't get to go anyplace , because I don't have a handicap assessable van. I have been given a driver evaluation as to what hand controls I need. I just haven't had any luck in having any organization's willing to do a fundraiser for me. The only time I get to leave the house is when the handicapped taxi comes to take me to see the doctor. Most of the time I am in some kind of pain from a UT infection or some sort of neural pathic pain. I also live in a rual area so I don't get to see very many people and there isn't no place to go. So live is the same every day.

Comment

I would have to say that while some aspects could be better,that yes,im enjoying life [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~~This world can turn me down but i wont turn away,i wont duck and run cause im not built that way~~

Comment

i agree i am just surviving i live rural all i do seems to work 9 hrs aday i am lucky my office is next to home and has been for 15 yrs. but all my friends live an hr away and were a part of the horsey set of which i no longer get to do when i do get to go we they are to busy to sit and visit.i do have a van but i am scared to get in by myself as i cann/t back in ramp i have to go forward and they tell if chair rolled those little flaPS would not hold chair on soooo. i am soooo tired at then of day exercising is so hard i do but not long enough. i know i don/t eat right but c6c7 its hard to fix a good meal and i hate pre package frozen food. so i live on bake potatoes tuna and ham sandwich unless i can get caretacker to fix something .i also think para lead a more normal life. but this sucks i look oout my window see my horses that i will never ride again get mad at my son for not taking the time to saddle my horse and pony me yes i have a saddle where i could ride again. but he won/t. i have been stuck home for as long as 3 weeks with out getting out on the weekends i don/t see anyboby except my caretaker for 2 hrs. this is not living i really don/t know if the cure will come i am 54 4 yr this coming may 28. never been depressed in my life but now i am. but i also have to count my blessing i can at least get a drink when i want and someting to eat when i want so why should i complain . it could be worse.

Comment

I try to stay in good spirits every day but some are better than others. Getting stessed about debt suxs it is nice to have sites like CC to see I am not alone. Many years went by and I thought I was alone. New things have happened over the many SCI years and I enjoy seeing other SCI surviving better than in years back.BTW today Patsy is 50 years old. She is SCI and has worked with our company over 28 years.She never has been married but she always comes to work with a smile and a hello. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If I'm in pain then I'm surviving. If I'm pain free I'm enjoying life.

Comment

I exist.... Therefore I am....

Comment

Lately it just feels like surviving. Especially for my loved one with SCI. Due to health problems he had to quit his job and because we are now so broke and with the price of gas, most of the time he can't even go anywhere. That is if he feels like it. Which is very rare these days. He's been sick and in pain for a very long time. I HAVE to work for us to get by and for insurance, so I'm not at home to help him get and feel better, or to do any of the activities he enjoys, but needs assistance with, when the rare occassion he feels up to it arrives. We can't afford any kind of outside help to make my load lighter and free up time to do for him. If I could just stay home I could take care of us much better than I do now. But, such is life and I know it will get better if we just keep on plugging away. It wasn't always this bad. It won't always BE this bad. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~~Honesty is the best policy~~~Treat others as you would like to be treated~~~Play hard, but play fairly~~~
                            "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Comment

surviving........ i'm only at this for 8 months , this shit sucks. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

i only wanted to have some fun
                              oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X