Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate's book rocks it. WTG Kate!

Reading "Photoshop Elements Drop Dead Photography Techniques" and "Six Figure Freelancing: The Writer's Guide to Making More Money." I read one or the other or both each night in bed.

Have just over two months to read a number of books under discussion at a literature conference I'll attend. Should make for very kewl reading.

P.S. Let's not forget my textbooks. LOL

Comment

The Space Between Us

I just finished reading The Space Between Us, which is by Thrity Umrigar. It is a story about a middle class Indian family and their relationship with their lower caste maid and her family. If you liked The Kite Runner, check this book out. It also is interesting from the standpoint of women's literature and to show a little about life in present day India and its class differentiations.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I figured I'd list a few of the latest I've gotten through.

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery. It's a children's book actually--and only 83ish pages long--but it has some of the best life messages I have ever read. I cried like three different times--and it's not even sad!

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I don't know why it took me so long to get a hold of this book, but it's one I couldn't put down. (Surprise there, huh?) Loved it.

Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell. Highly recommend this book. The plot quickly draws you in & makes you think you know what is going to happen.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max. The entire book is just smaller stories--reminds me of Buck's shower-sex type story actually. This guy talks a lot about sex, being drunk, law school, etc. It took me a while to manage to read the whole thing because after about 3 or 4 of these small stories, it gets old. Not really a book I'd spend $$ on.

A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. We all know he's a literary genius.

Onto the next....
        If there is light
        it will find
        you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

The Alchemist.

Comment

^^ Haha..."I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell". I read that book over Christmas break last year. If you have ever felt bad about your own morals or life decisions, read this book. You'll feel like an angel after doing so. Also, he went to Law School at Duke, so a lot of his college adventure sites were familiar to me.

Right now I'm reading Hubris: Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War

The Bush administration is looking less like a bunch of idiots and more like a group of evil geniuses. My dis-trust in government is growing with each passing page.
            "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Comment

'Last days of Socrates' by Plato.

You got one book to take with you, this is the one.

EVERYTHING... is there.
              vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens

Last read Good Omens. The plot as told on wikipedia is pretty close to the hilarious happenings as the players get ready for what is supposed to be the end of the world. When the little Tibetans show up be someplace where snorting cappacino through your nose is considered high praise. It's the most irreligious religious fiction out there.

It was on my 8th grade reading list and one of a complete set of the books of John Steinback from my Dad when I was 12 but Travels with Charlie should be read by all who neeed a final push to travel and how it should be done. It also will have subconsiously looking at cars that hold you, a dog and some travel necessities might be all you need unles you insist on going rough.

Peter Hopkirk's The Great Game and The Russians. Geo-political history at its best.

In Mother Teresa's House, A Hospice Nurse in the Slums of Calcutta by Rosemary Dew. www.surgebooks.com She also wrote No Back Up on her time as a FBI Special Agent.

Steven? Bullfinch's Mythology? One of my reference books. :-)
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Just finished Flags of Our Fathers. Great read.
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Much to my dismay I am still having problems concentrating which is really affecting my abilty to read for any length of time. But I have managed to read two Cormac McCarthy novel's in the past little while, "The Road" as well as "No Country for Old Men"--both of which were very good but depressed the heck out of me.

Right now I am reading Chuck Palahniuk's new novel Rant, which I was really looking forward to but am finding very disappointing, mainly because the narrative structure is very fragmented and annoying. I am not in the mood for it and may abandon it. I need something at the moment that is less work and requires far less brain power

My nephews and I have also been reading the "Holes" books together. They are very good and we are enjoying them very much. The oldest one and I are eagerly awaiting the new Harry Potter which will be our next joint reading project.

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie
                    I figured I'd list a few of the latest I've gotten through.

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery. It's a children's book actually--and only 83ish pages long--but it has some of the best life messages I have ever read. I cried like three different times--and it's not even sad!
                    I read this book when I was young and have always loved it. But I hadn't read it for at least ten years. I was in a used bookstore a few months ago and found a beautiful illustrated book that had "The Little Prince" and "The Airman's Odyssey" in it for $4. Steal of a deal lol. So I bought it and it is in the queue to be read soon. I agree it is a fabulous and timeless book. One of my all time favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello
                      Much to my dismay I am still having problems concentrating which is really affecting my abilty to read for any length of time.
                      Same here. Reading books is very hard to do at times because I always feel like I should be doing something else or it's too slow for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais
                        Same here. Reading books is very hard to do at times because I always feel like I should be doing something else or it's too slow for me.
                        Nope, never feel like that .There is nothing else thatI would rather do than read a book.

Comment

Originally posted by MioaraD
                          Nope, never feel like that .There is nothing else thatI would rather do than read a book.
                          Yes, I love books myself. I was disheartened several weeks ago when I read that a man was in the process of burning 20,000 books in protest of not being able to give them away, even to libraries. No one wanted them. I'm hoping people read the story in the newspaper and contacted him to take them.

Comment

Any Sci-fi fans out there? Having a bit more time on my hands post SCI, I've dedicated myself to working through he novels in this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Nebula_awards

Fantastic stuff. Sometimes I actually look forward to BP sessions, gives me a chance to catch up with my latest read.

Comment

I just finished a great book by Ellen Hopkins called Crank. Has anyone else read this? It's about a teenage girl who gets hooked on crank and how it takes over for a year or so of her life. I thought it was amazing--written in a poetic form but easy to follow along. The sequel comes out August 21st and I can't wait to read it too.
                              If there is light
                              it will find
                              you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                                Any Sci-fi fans out there? Having a bit more time on my hands post SCI, I've dedicated myself to working through he novels in this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Nebula_awards

Fantastic stuff. Sometimes I actually look forward to BP sessions, gives me a chance to catch up with my latest read.
                                I was weaned on the stuff. My mom, generally a most deplorable woman, limited herself through her whole adult life to anthologies of sci-fi short stories. As a pre-schooler I found those stories great learning-to-read stuff (I guess?). Although I've read widely and cannot imagine a reading life that excluded nonfiction, I've always retained a fondness for these anthologies. I just got an older one with over 700 pages and I'm more than 3/4 through already. Now I'm thinking of eBay searching for more up-to-date sci-fi anthologies.
                                "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                                J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Working...
                                X