No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you are reading something, anything. ,If you're still stuck I reckon Martin Amis is good for a rock'n'roll type mood, Annie Proulx is one of the few chick writers I have liked (don't mean to be sexist but as a guy I just read more guys), for noir type stuff Milan Kundera is really good, being in USA you gotta read Norman Mailer's 'Tough guys don't dance', any/all of John Steinbeck and I reckon at least 'Breakfast of champions' by Kurt Vonnegut... and thinking of something you wrote about tequila I think you might enjoy Hunters S's (The Immortal) 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas'. If you not anti old shit 'Crime and punishment' by Dostoyeski (should learn how to spell his name one day) is really engrossing and 'Cancer Ward' by Solzenhytsyn (again spelling) sent chills up my spine... Emile Zola's "Therese Raquin'... agggggghhhh to many books not enough time. Carl Hiaasen writes good detective type stuff based around Florida... oh yeah gotta read GOTTA read short stories by Raymond Carver..
    I'll stop now, sorry to rant, hope you're reading something. Tell us what if you ddon't mind.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here.

Sorry, had to add one more, for tears (and I mean plenty) try 'The education of Little Tree' by Forrest Carter

Comment

Kane and Abel - Jeffery Archer

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
      www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been keeping a list now, and will be busy for a while! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I really like to read every type of book. Non-fiction, fiction, political, informational. Everything. I just finsihed a good book not too long ago, The Jewels of Tessa Kent. Pretty good read although a little 'girly'. I'm working on Still Me right now & then am hitting up my list for the next ones. Thanks again.

http://curlieqcarrie.friendpages.com/
        Kansas girls put the HEAT in wheat...
        If there is light
        it will find
        you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just finished Alice Hoffman's Here on Earth...again. I've read it about 3 times before & just had to read it again. She's a great author & I think some of you would like her. I haven't had the chance to read much of anything besides school textbooks for the past few months so it's nice getting a break from those.

I have a collection of Emily Dickinson I am starting next.

BTW--I just realized how long ago this thread started and wow, I didn't do hardly any recreational reading since then! Kinda disappointed in myself, geesh.

Anyway, does anyone have anything new or interesting reads to suggest up for us? I'm sure some of you have been doing some reading!
          Last edited by CurlieQCarrie; 2 Dec 2006, 6:44 AM.
          If there is light
          it will find
          you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Have a look at The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (only a few chapters) the great thing is you can read it on two levels, here's the synopsis I borrowed from Wikipiedia.

The Wind in the Willows is a classic of children's literature written in 1908 by Kenneth Grahame. The story is alternately slow-moving and fast-paced, focusing on three animal characters in a bucolic version of England. The book is notable for its mixture of mysticism, adventure, morality and camaraderie. It gives as much pleasure to adult readers as to children, although for rather different reasons.
            The book made Grahame's fortune, enabling him to retire from his hated (though respectable and well-paid) bank job and move to the country. He spent his time by the River Thames doing much as the animal characters in his book do, namely (in one of the most famous phrases from the book) "simply messing about in boats".
            It can also be viewed as a commentary on class dynamics in British society. Roughly speaking, the "River-Bankers" represent the upper classes, while the "Wild Wooders" represent the lower.

You can read it on line here:

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng...c/GraWind.html
            Last edited by Timaru; 2 Dec 2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I would recommend Sarah Waters.

Especially Fingersmith.

However, her last book The Night Watch was a disappointment.

To Lynnifer and any other true crime fans, this site is well worth a visit -
              The Crime Library

Comment

I'm reading Amy Tan's latest, "Saving Fish From Drowning". Very entertaining and thought provoking.

It snowed 8 inches on Wednesday/Thursday. I love it when it snows but I have great books to enjoy. It feels like complete luxury to me.

(I'm making the fam crazy, rolling around singing...

"Oh the weather outside is frightful
                But the fire is so delightful
                Since we have no-place to go
                Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"
                Last edited by betheny; 2 Dec 2006, 3:39 PM.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks (military guy with good insider info talks about Iraq--readable and not political)

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett (she's just a great writer, and I loved this story about a woman in LA who gets involved with a family in frozen Nebraska)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (can't read it too many times)

Any mystery by Elizabeth George--she has a huge collection now, and they're all amazing

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott is pretty wonderful--memoir by a single mom who is also a recovering drunk and a really funny person

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (can't read that too many times either)

I like true crime . . . there's a local writer whose name I can't think of right now who actually KNEW Ted Bundy (worked with him on a crisis hotline for God's sake) and wrote the best stuff about him. Ack, now that's going to bug me. What is her name???

I have Life of Pi on my ipod right now--terrific book. Downloading books to ipod is free (if you're a wizard like bruce, I mean) and there are lots of good titles.

Oh! We both just listened to Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove--great, great book.

Comment

Yeah, Lonesome Dove!!!!! McMurty has written some crap in his life. If that was all he ever produced Lonesome Dove would redeem him.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Kate, I am sure you mean Ann Rule. I just read one of her compilations (No Regrets) while I was on my cruise. I like her books too...my mother is also a fan and kept bugging me to finish it so she could read it next. Ann Rule is a former police officer herself, and many of her stories take place in the Pacific Northwest.

I found the title story in this last one especially interesting as the man who was murdered was a Norweigan sea captain and pilot, and he lived on Lopez Island just a short ferry ride from my sister's home in Anacortes, WA.

Have you read Green River Running? This is about the Green River Killer in Washington and Oregon several years ago.

The book about Ted Bundy was The Stranger Beside Me which was her first full length book. She actually worked in the same office with Ted Bundy at the same time he started his serial killer career. Many of her books and strores have been made into TV movies.

If you like those types of books, you should check out Sebastian Junger's new book, which is about the Boston Strangler who actually worked for Junger's family briefly while he was killing women all over the Boston area. It is called A Death in Belmont. He is the same guy who wrote A Perfect Storm.

(KLD)
                      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 2 Dec 2006, 4:20 PM.
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Read much over last month plus while on holiday. Devoured "Running with Scissors" and "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs. As a recovering person, enjoyed reading his wild, autobiographical tomes. Read the followup books to "Sisterhoood of the Traveling Pants." Great beach/ocean/chick reading lite stuff.

It seems compilations of shorts in "New Stories from the South" for various years, literary journals and regional/local papers received much of my attention when I wasn't writing.

Comment

Mem - fab to have you back!

And "Running With Scissors" is one of my favourite books. I've got "Dry" and "Sellevision" still to read.

Comment

Originally posted by kate

I have Life of Pi on my ipod right now--terrific book. Downloading books to ipod is free (if you're a wizard like bruce, I mean) and there are lots of good titles.
                            Where's a good place to find these?
                            If there is light
                            it will find
                            you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie
                              Where's a good place to find these?
                              I was afraid you'd ask that . . . my amazing husband knows the drill (he can figure out anything on computers) but he's never quite showed me the steps. When he gets home I'll try to get him to explain it here.

SCI Nurse, thank you! Of course, Ann Rule. (I kept thinking Ann Rice, but I knew that wasn't right. ) Ann Rule came to our church once, years ago, and told the story of realizing that she--a true crime writer wannabe--had actually worked night shifts with a famous serial killer. She was as shocked as anybody that the handsome guy everybody thought would go far politically was also a psychopath.

Her book about Ted is good, and no I haven't read the one about the Green River killer. She said recently that after he was arrested, she realized he'd been stalking her public readings. He knew she'd be writing about him one day. Creeeeeeepy.

Comment

Originally posted by keps
                                Mem - fab to have you back!

And "Running With Scissors" is one of my favourite books. I've got "Dry" and "Sellevision" still to read.
                                Thanks, Keps! The last month was incredible fun, but it's good to return home, too. The greatest shock has been leaving warmth and returning to such cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...

"Sellevision" is on my gotta read it list after hitting "Dry" and "Running." Burroughs' life has been unconventional, comedic, tragic, gritty. It seems his adaptability, humor and creativity have got him through. I'm thankful he's gutsy enough to honestly bare and tell it like it was and is.

Comment

Working...
                                X