''High Quads''; Transfering,,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chick 'n Scorp,,,,,

2 cool ppl; Scorp I've met, good guy,,,,,the *kindred* thrives, and Chick,,,, well,,,, ya do wanna see, experience the Jersey shore, it'll help to have a guide, someone who knows the ropes. ''Da shore rox in the Hot Jersey summer'', check out this place/''webcam/''tiki bar; ''http://www.tikibar.com/index.html''

It was a pleasure to see this thread come up, a lil burst of sunshine,,,,,,lately I've been in a F'n battle with the SCI ''Beast'' with a few matters; things been a bxxch, but 'ya gotta be cowboy.

Ahhh Scorp,,,,,, 'see you're stock around here has been rising since that ''late night'' chat session a few weeks ago>>power to it.
    Hey Scorp, rrrealy, thanks for,,,,,,,,, '' FREEJ is one of the Kick-Assest there is. ''

Chick,,,, geeezzz,,,, I started the thread on 3/28, you posted 3/29, and now answered on 8/7. Thank you for posting your reply was informative/detailed as usual. 'N yeahh,,,, apology accepted cuz u rock,,,,,,,,even though it was ''delayed.'' ) .

Comment

I'm an incomplete c4 and I use the Surehands ceiling lift. Works great...no problems at all.

Comment

Brad, can you use that independently?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
          Brad, can you use that independently?
          I just need some minimal help.

Comment

Originally posted by FREEJ
            Chick your function description seems very similar to mine. Yes, you do use assistance ''now'' in transferring for time/efficiency and most of all safety. However,,, you do/can transfer from your chair onto bed without help with a sliding board?? Yes, I would like to see how you do this[for I can't quite get it]; possibly you're a lil body, I'm almost 6'3==''body dynamics'' factor? Ok,,,, it'll take you some time,,,,,,but I hope not 5 mos/ur reply,,,,,em if you want.

Since my post in March I have developed a technique to transfer with a sliding board, but I do need assistance----it is minimal effort/strain on the helper--my petitely built 18 yr old, 5'2 niece can help me. Either way it is another step/level of independence, it makes a big difference in my life. It took some time to get it, but it's now a 2 minute/tops process. I can do this from bed to chair and chair to bed[but definitely need help; so Chick a video would be good] , but cannot do it from bed onto shower/commode chair.

''I must give credit to my friend for the instruction/inspiration/encouragement; my ''Desert Rose'', thank you.''

Thank you all others,,,,,Freej. )
            i found that every transfer except car are easier w/ out the board. your about my hieght, im 6'2.
            try this. angle your chair beside your bed, put feet on foor, lock brakes. put your hand behind your back , hook onto the low backrest bar(if using a manual) lean over and push until you clear your wheel, sit up and flop back on the bed on your elbows, then drag yourself back, sit up, and put your feet on your chair seat, flop back on elbows drag yourself the rest of way in.,
            hopefully this makes sense

takes a little practice but gets easy
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

FREE, ha, yep... I may be slow.... but always follow thru . Actually, this year has been a bit busy and chaotic, esp early in year and posted sorta intermittently on here (also an occasional LOA can be good for soul).

There was a thread a long while back titled 'Independent Transfers'- http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6437
              that had a good discussion on quads transfering. I posted pretty detailed info regarding my technique/body mechanics relative to MY body proportion and chair design/dimensions, with the clip to demonstrate. The clip is no longer available on there but I can email it to you so you can follow my explaination/answer to others' questions.

There are few things I could further elaborate on, but I will do that after you review thread/clip. Send me ur email addy here or via PT if you want.
              Last edited by chick; 9 Aug 2005, 2:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chick
                (also an occasional LOA can be good for soul).
                Amen to that!

Comment

Originally posted by FREEJ
                  Chick your function description seems very similar to mine. Yes, you do use assistance ''now'' in transferring for time/efficiency and most of all safety. However,,, you do/can transfer from your chair onto bed without help with a sliding board?? Yes, I would like to see how you do this[for I can't quite get it]; possibly you're a lil body, I'm almost 6'3==''body dynamics'' factor? Ok,,,, it'll take you some time,,,,,,but I hope not 5 mos/ur reply,,,,,em if you want.
                  Most all, I use assistance for time/efficiency, then safety ... but also, necessity per some transfers - ie. to commode/shower.

Transfers into bed from chair is difficult without sliding board. From manual chair, transfer without board is impossible without board - but some of this is due to gap from my chair to bed. If this gap is reduced/eliminated and surface level I am transfering onto is level or lower than chair, I may manage, but this is more do-able from power chair which can line up paralel and closer to transfering surfaces than manual, and provides greater surface (w/o interference of wheels) from which my behind can transfer from/onto.
                  When sliding board has moved/fallen during transfers, depending on my position, I may sometimes make it and other times not. I am not tall, so if my feet falls off footrests, I may be pulled down during transfer.
                  There are pros/cons to all body type. Being smaller may make in easier in regard to weight, but short limbs and long torso greatly inhibits transfers- ugh.

Hope the clip is helpful. If you need more visual, let me know.
                  Since my post in March I have developed a technique to transfer with a sliding board, but I do need assistance----it is minimal effort/strain on the helper--my petitely built 18 yr old, 5'2 niece can help me. Either way it is another step/level of independence, it makes a big difference in my life. It took some time to get it, but it's now a 2 minute/tops process. I can do this from bed to chair and chair to bed[but definitely need help; so Chick a video would be good] , but cannot do it from bed onto shower/commode chair.
                  Great to hear you've made progress since March!
                  I've transfered into shower bench a few times with someone to spot me before. Biggest problem is transfering bare botton and skin friction. I am not sure how much of a benefit this is if I have an aide to help me shower, but I did want to be able to do this during emergencies when I would need to clean up without waiting hours for help. I have done this alone at home once or twice, but not sure how much of a benefit it is, given my limitations - ending up making greater mess and still have to wait for assistance to show up to complete needs. Nevertheless, I still would like to work on it a bit more.

Comment

Chick, thanks for the reply, both informative and helpful.

Yes, I've got a sliding board transfer down pretty good with minimal effort on my ''help''; that's from my bed to chair>reciprocal.

It would greatly decrease my dependency level if I could do the same with my shower/commode chair. But it just hasn't work yet.

To shower chair: I'm a lil concerned about sliding bare butt; I can get a smooth low friction slide with baby oil[thanks, to my friend, Desert Rose] and putting baby oil on the seat to get on. Problem: getting out; I have a little butt[always did, even pre-sci],,,,''no comments'' ) ,,,,, so once in, my butt sinks into the seat. There's no way, yet, that I can get the sliding
                    board under my butt---cuz my butt is kinda sunken, stuck in the seat. So,,,,, I haven't yet figured it out, or if it's even worth it; independence -vs- safety, health.

The advantages/disadvantages of ''body types'',,,,, on the bright side; I do have long arms that are condusive to good HUGS, my long arms allow for good wrappage to give a good tight hug,,,,lol,,,,Freej,,,, ;o)

Comment

Ceiling lift and pivot transfers (depends on which aide is here.)
                      Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

We have been using the Easy Pivot for the past year and a half and it has made life so much easier and safer for both of us. I haven't tried using it to get anyone into a care though.

http://www.easypivot.com/
                        Christina
                        www.Spine4acure.com

Comment

Chick - have you tried using baby powder when you do the "bare bottom" transfers? It helps me slide better across my board after my shower. I also use it with my car transfers when I wear shorts, my legs don't stick as much.
                          www.cawvsports.org
                          The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                          We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                            Chick - have you tried using baby powder when you do the "bare bottom" transfers? It helps me slide better across my board after my shower. I also use it with my car transfers when I wear shorts, my legs don't stick as much.
                            ditto, i always keep babey powder on my cushion as well, feels good and helps slide
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                              never thought of that...have to try it....

Comment

old rehab trick. they called it powder board transfer

also, for everyone using a board, try jamming it under your cushion, no more scooting the board away, works great.
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X