Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Young is it true only 12 students in wheelchairs attend Rutgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what we are forgetting is that able bodied people can do wheelchair sports. I know someone who tried to get WC sports going at her college and all they really needed was the chairs. The able bodied friends of the WC kids wanted to give it a whirl to round out the numbers. I think that's cool. Unfortunately, it was too difficult to get all the sports chairs needed. But gives new meaning to "walk a mile in my shoes".

Comment

Bob~ There is no mandate todisclose your disability at the college level, it is all self-disclosure. Even if you use disabled student services, it is up to you to report the disability or not...a privacy issue. You might want to ask if the method of measurement came from self-reporting, sort of like the census.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by diane2:

I think what we are forgetting is that able bodied people can do wheelchair sports. I know someone who tried to get WC sports going at her college and all they really needed was the chairs. The able bodied friends of the WC kids wanted to give it a whirl to round out the numbers. I think that's cool. Unfortunately, it was too difficult to get all the sports chairs needed. But gives new meaning to "walk a mile in my shoes".
        i'm sorry, but I don't appreciate ABs doing w/c sports. i mean, kinda defeats the purpose. no AB in a w/c can experience the impact of trunk paralysis, for example. just sitting in a chair doesn't level the playing field.

Comment

Most colleges that have WC/basketball do have an exhibition game between the Varsity team seated in WC's and the WC team to raise money. Maybe this is what was meant by AB's playing in wheelchairs. Usually the game brings in enough money to finance the disability center's yearly expense.

To quick start a wc program some universities have invited local wcplayers that do not attend the college for the first year or two until they have enough members from within the student body.

I have no idea how they got the figure of 12. Before releasing that number, had it not been so rare an occurrence they would have questioned it more thoroughly, so it might be pretty accurate. If Dr. Young wants the name of the administrator that spelled it out I will gladly give it to him. I'm not sure which angle to pursue, if having wheelchair sports is a draw to disabled students, or if a more Representative number at the university would indeed help to cause a need for a WC sports program. But seems the number of wheelchair students is surprisingly low, whether it's the chicken or the egg came first.

Comment

Recent email I received

Hello Bob:
            XXXX XXXXXX and I have been talking about the possible Rutgers Wheelchair Sports Program. We are trying to arrange a meeting with the person that set up the University of Illinois program. Once we have made contact with him we will get back to you. Sorry for the delay but we haven't forgot about you.

XXXXXX XXXXX
            Assistant For Special Projects

[This message was edited by BigB on 03-12-05 at 01:32 AM.]

Comment

Congratulations Bob!
              It sounds great. I think that they're taking an excellent approach and it could take a while to see progress. Did you meet with this person, or is he/she new? If new, you might need to spend a little time with him/her. Also, since they mention U of I, perhaps someone at CC knows someone there to give you some independent info. I believe that the son of someone in my town goes there. He's a w/c racer and bb player. Also, don't forget it's not just competitive sports, but sports for all (my opinion).
              Carl

Comment

Carl
                The email came from an independent advocacy group. I have been in contact with them for a few years but recently they seem to have more interest in dealing with this.

Comment

I sure don't report that stuff unless I have to. It is no ones business but mine.

Originally posted by cheesecake:

Bob~ There is no mandate todisclose your disability at the college level, it is all self-disclosure. Even if you use disabled student services, it is up to you to report the disability or not...a privacy issue. You might want to ask if the method of measurement came from self-reporting, sort of like the census.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Student Profile U of C Irvine Here is a University that only has 14,571 under graduate students and 3,638 graduate students which totals 18,209

It seems rather odd that a University like Rutgers with close to 50,000 students would only have 12 even via self reporting as the U of C Irvine who only has a student body of 18,209 through self reporting lists 159 with mobility issues and 165 receiving assistance from disability services for temporarily being handicapped.

[QUOTE] DisabilityIn fall 1998, 425 students identifiedthemselves as having the following disabilities:vision (24), hearing (11), mobility/orthopedic(159), learning disabilities and AttentionDeficit Disorder (125), speech impairment (3),acquired head injury (7), or other medicalconditions (96). Of the students on campus whowere temporarily handicapped, 165 receivedassistance from Disability Services during the1998-99 academic year. All campus educationalfacilities are wheelchair accessible.[QUOTE]

Comment

The staff member from Rutgers that told me there were only 12 students in wheelchairs at the University was asked to leave. Why? Do you think top University officials were upset he told me that only 12 students in wheelchairs attend Rutgers? He also told me not to expect much support from others at the University , as after he was asked to leave they might be afraid of taking on wheelchair sports.

If the University canned the guy, I guess someone at the University reads this forum.

If thats true-covering up a problem doesn't make it go away!!!!

[This message was edited by BigB on 04-28-05 at 11:00 PM.]

Comment

Bob,
                        If you were motating through life in a different manner..what part of this country would you want to go to school in?

Rutgers for me would have never entered into my mind for one second..as none of the lovely snowy winterland areas do or would.

I admire the 12 wheelchair students that do
                        take it on..but why..when their are so many
                        better climates right here in the good ole
                        USA. Your boy goes to Arizona State doesn't he? Does he really even think about a transfer to Rutgers? Or is it only you thinking about it?

Personally..if I were your son they would have to drag me back in a cage.

An Ivy League education is like most wonderful..but so is a western education.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk foreward." FDR
                        Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

isn't 12 a pretty high number for an area with harsh winters? Arizona or new Mexico sound like a better climate.
                          i think the university of NC only has 1 or 2 .

did you take a private conversation with this Rutgers staffer and twist it into your own thoughts and words and post it on the Internet? i see a pattern of doing this , causing the loss of his/ her job.. and now what you are construing as a fear of other rutgears employees supporting WC sports is in reality that Rutgers employees have learned not to have any dealings with you since you have a habit of using their names and positions to create conflict.
                          cauda equina

Comment

So 12 students in wheelchairs at Rutgers should be a secret.

You know what, some of you guys don't get it.
                            Also, if you have the same attitude towards cure advocacy, it won't work either.

By being a nice guy, and hoping the system (ADA, IDEA,etc goodwill of leaders) will get you somewhere, you are wrong.

Lindox, how in your right mind would you expect poor college children to go out of state because the weather is nicer there. Does that mean Canada should not have a wheelchair community?

BTW, Illinois has much more severe weather than NJ and they have many, many more wheelchair students.

What the hell is wrong when you guys can come up with such far fetched excuses for not having a more adequate number of students in wheelchairs at Rutgers.

Metro- What a warped explanation. Instead of a University possibly firing someone for saying there are only 12 students in wheelchairs at their University and then doing nothing about it they should question what are THEY doing wrong.

Also, I was led to believe that this website wasn't read by University officials and was told it wouldn't be a good place to advocate.I guess the forums are read by the people with authority. Could Dr. Young have relayed the info about the 12 students to other officials at the University?

Comment

Bob,
                              I was using crutches and braces so it would have been very different back when I escaped
                              if in a wheelchair..will admit that..but I only had four dollars on me when I arrived here and it can be done. Even poor kids.

But you have to do it..nobody else can or will do it for you really. Unless of course you have the type of personality and mindset to always do it their way.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk foreward." FDR
                              Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Bob, who was fired? Is there a press release on it? There are a number of reasons people can be fired, and I seriously doubt the person was fired for saying there are 12 people using wheelchairs at Rutgers.

What's your beef with Dr. Young? He's trying to get your son and the rest of us out of wheelchairs. Why do you have to keep making slanderous accusations against him?

-Steven
                                ...what a wonderful world, this could be
                                ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Working...
                                X