Memories of Cando.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of Cando.com

I just came across this article by Steve Baldwin published June 4, 2004... It is about Cando.com which was the precursor site to Care Cure:

http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/2004_06_04_

by Steve Baldwin

June 4, 2004

Memories of Cando.com 

The story of Cando.com is a Dickensian tale that demonstrates, once again, that when push comes to shove, people really don't give much of a damn about each other.

Cando.com was an offshoot of a project called Spinewire.com launched by Mark Pinney, who had suffered a serious spinal cord injury. In 1999, he assembled a small team of people who believed that a Web site could do a lot of good in terms of helping disabled people cope with their conditions by referring them to the right medical products. Integral to the plan was kicking back a reasonable share of the site's e-commerce revenues into spinal cord injury-related research.

Pinney's original site was called Spinewire.com, and it was an immediate hit among many disabled people in the USA, who flocked in large numbers to its forums, which were powered by UBB - a free software tool.

Despite its popularity (20,000 visitors reportedly visited Spinewire.com in its prime), the site did require a significant upgrade before it could support e-commerce transactions, which meant investing in some serious e-commerce software. Where would the money come from?

Enter the Venture Capitalists - who saw in Spinewire a way to make some fast cash, and the Oracle Salesmen, who naturally recommended that only an "industrial-strength" database application could deliver the goods. At this point, Spinewire merged with another site covering the same territory, and the result was Cando.com.

The trouble really began when the site's administrators attempted to migrate Spinewire's pre-existing UBB forum database to Oracle, which reportedly took a team of engineers many months to do. At the same time, Harry Motro - formerly CEO of InfoSeek, joined the site's board. Then the VC's, who had put up $15 million, put pressure on Cando's board to "refocus" the site away from spinal-cord injuries toward a more general, presumably more lucrative coverage of disabilities in general.

The site's brisk traffic guaranteed plenty of money from banner ads, but not enough to satisfy VC's seeking the proverbial "hockey-stick shaped" growth curve guaranteed to make them their money back ten-fold. In early 2001, they decided that Cando.com was definitely not going to make them an enormous pile of money back within a short time. What good was a site that was simply building a passionate audience, covering its costs, and growing at a rational pace? So they pressured the board to liquidate the company, kick out Spinney, and let Cando's loyal disabled users go to Hell.

Despite the pleadings of one of Cando's original team that the tremendous database of information that the site had aggregated be donated to a university with a spine-injury program, the site was shut down in June, 2001, removing Spinewire's many hundreds of megabytes worth of user-contribued content from the Web.

If you have other information, including amplification and/or corrections concerning the history of Cando.com that you would like to see incorporated into this WebElegy, please send e-mail to Steve Baldwin and I will try to include it as time provides.

So, Wise, did you write to the author to give him some of your perspective? The history given sounds like the corporate side, but not the people side, certainly.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

KLD, thanks. It seems that he talked to Mark Pinney. The story seems accurate. I will write him. Wise.

Comment

Capitalistic Pigs[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Not Piney, but greedy people

Wise & Jeff,

Any thoughts about making money with banners of reputable companies here?
        Also having our own banners HTML or UBB could be good promotion
        http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

Amazing how this site phoenixed from the ashes of Cando. That story alone is worthy of a part II.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer
          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

I definitly miss Cando . .. lots of memories -- LOL

~*~*~Priscilla Katheryn
            L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
            ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
            Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
            The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Comment

I think I still have the point-counterpoint pieces about the Nuveen commercial. Might have to ask who has rights to Laura Hershey's piece for reprint but I retained mine. If you want it just ask.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
              X