Q? for Americans about public bathrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q? for Americans about public bathrooms

When you see a wheelchair bathroom or stall does that mean you will truly be able to use it? Does the ADA ensure that? I ask because I'm forever going into a wheelchair stall only to find that I can't shut the door because theres no room for my chair in there.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Very open to interpretation. I've been to the same large bathroom with 2 wheelchair marked stalls, one was usable, the other one I think they just put the sign up and put a grabrail on the wall, regular stall otherwise. I think the best wheelchair stall farse I saw so far was at O'Hare Airport in Chicago...As you know, you want the door to open outward on a wheelchair stall, this door did, but they forgot to put a grabhandle so you could actually open it. Unless you are as 'tall' as me and able to reach the top of the door to grab hold of something, you arent getting in there! This was seen at two washrooms there so far.

Comment

Emi, I live in Illinois and it is no better here.I'm with Andy..I have been in ALOT of accessible bathrooms only to find nothing but a sign and a hand rail

jennifer

Comment

So the ADA didn't fix that hey? I asked because out of the half dozen accessible washrooms I've tried to use theres only one that I can use. It's very annoying because going halfway across campus to pee makes me late for class, miss my train and leak on myself.

~ Anon
        Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi:

So the ADA didn't fix that hey? I asked because out of the half dozen accessible washrooms I've tried to use at my university theres only one that I can use. It's very annoying because going halfway across campus to pee makes me late for class, miss my train and leak on myself.

~ Anon
          http://www.tickercentral.com

~ Anon

Comment

Emi...it depends on the state. In California...it is required to have a stall w/ grab bars for transferring, tp, sinks, coat hooks are low, faucets are IR or lever type handles, high toilet seat, etc. The satll must even have a 60" clear circle for turning....

Sadly, each state has it's own codes or none at all. Here in Idaho, it says H/C but that only means thay have grab bars and low TP and towel dispensers.

Also...if a restaurant, bar or store hasn't been remodelled since the codes were passed, they are exempt till they do so.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
            accept no substitutes

Comment

I wish that FL had more defined regs regarding bathrooms....I've been in so many that I couldn't get my chair in & be able to close the door...it's been a learning experience

'Chelle
              L-1 inc 11/24/03
              'Chelle
              L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

That reminds me of a story. The place where we had our wedding receptions was, um, 'rustic' (a converted barn). Not only was the bathroom not accessible, but he couldn't even get in the door. Fortunately he could get into the little wooden-walled anteroom area that they had put up to block the view of the bathroom door from the main area (it didn't go all the way to the floor or up to the ceiling). He cathed in there during the reception, and I carried the urinal back and forth into the bathroom for him. It was pretty humorous. We had forgotten to check on that, assuming it was accessible to him as most places are...

AB wife of T8 complete para
                AB wife of T8 complete para

Comment

What about the problem when there are six stalls available including the handicap stall and the person in front of you is able-bodied and they use the handicap stall instead of the the other ones. Very frustrating.

I guess we need enforcement of bathroom stalls like handicap parking.

Comment

I don't understand. why have only one disabled stall and 4 regulars? everyone knows that the first stall that any disabled/ablebodied person goes to is the big one. I say make all stalls big enough for chairs.

Comment

jd87...very good idea [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

Originally posted by jd87:
                        I don't understand. why have only one disabled stall and 4 regulars? everyone knows that the first stall that any disabled/ablebodied person goes to is the big one. I say make all stalls big enough for chairs.
                        The reason is cost and the economics of space utilization. Restrooms are "non-income-generating" space. When a commercial establishment rents space it is by the foot. Things like restrooms, employee lounges, etc. are space that does not contribute directly to sales or income. Businesses will devote only the space mandated by law as it is valuable and "financially" is a waste of space. The minimum space needed for a h/c toilet in Calif is 5' x 8'. A regular sit stall only takes 3' x 5'. That means a h/c stall is 2 1/2 times larger. Urinals only take 2 1/2' x 4' so they are about 1/3 of a h/c stall. Plus the h/c requirements for lavatories are 5' x 8'.

It doesn't take much math to see why businesses devote the minimum amount they can. At least in Calif the laws are the most "h/c friendly" of anywhere. Too bad it isn't federally mandated for all the states.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
                        deleted duplicate post...Kap

[This message was edited by Kaprikorn1 on 09-21-04 at 09:46 AM.]
                        accept no substitutes

Comment

There are ADA standards for public restrooms. Some states (such as California) have additional laws (which pre-date the ADA) that may also be in effect. Here are the newly revised ADA standards:

2004 ADA Standards

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Some businesses, big or small, put those signs of just because there aren't any stairs to the facility. I have run across many bathrooms that have that universal sign, but none of the stalls are wheelchair accessible nevermind up to ADA codes.

How about the wash basins are you able to get underneath? Many times I was in a bathroom that again had that universal sign yet, I was unable to use a stall, but able to fit underneath the sink to wash my hands.

Dave H

[This message was edited by Dave H on 09-22-04 at 01:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave H on 09-22-04 at 01:18 PM.]
                            Dave H

Comment

i have a question about bathrooms--someone mentioned AB person in front of them in line, so i was wondering if you have to go (you know some of us can't wait or will leak/void) and there's 20 people in line, could you or would you cut to the accessable stall? can you or is it just completely rude to do so? this has happened to me once or twice and i did wait my turn, but unfortunately it was too late.

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

Comment

Working...
                              X