Home Alone!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Alone!!

A situation has come about which will give me 5 days and 4 nights home alone. With little notice given, I made up a list of things I'll need on hand, supplies I want within reach etc. I'm looking forward to this as a way to judge my true level of independence. I will make sure I have a phone with me at all times and I do have two sets of friends on call just 9 miles away. Other than planning every move and trying not to catapult myself onto the floor - any thoughts? T4, 13 months post. Hey I'm curious, when were you alone for the first time post-injury?

About eight months post-injury, I stayed home while my roommate went to work. A few months later, I returned to college. C5/6

Comment

This is a great thread and very timely because I'm thinking about taking the girls camping and leaving Bill alone for a few(?) days!! T5 complete and pretty much independant but we have a dog, a cat and a hamster [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] !! I'd really like to see him handle this all by himself (for my piece of mind) ! Looking forward to your replies!!!!!

Obieone
      ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
      Jane Siberry

Comment

My dad stayed with me after I got out of rehab and I had been home about a month (3 months post maybe?) and he decided he wanted to go out to a bar. He wanted to hire a "babysitter" to come sit with me while he was gone. MAN, was that a fight!! My PT and OT were able to convince him that I would be okay by myself for a few hours, but his big rule was that I had to stay in my chair until he got home. No transferring to bed on my own. I made it through no problem. I layed my pillow on my kitchen table and went to sleep in my chair. lol

That was just the first thing that popped in my mind as I read the post. I was left alone for 3 days 8 months post and a week later kicked my "caregivers" out of my house and have been on my own since.

Good Luck!

C5-C7 Walking Quad
        Tina
        C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
        Aug '03

Comment

How insensitive of me to say I'm alone! My two Golden retrievers and Maine Coon (who thinks he's a small Golden) will, of course, keep me busy reminding me when it's time for us to eat [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

As a T4 para you should be 100% independent, it sounds more like you just need a confidence boost! I'm T1 inc, but T4 comp as was living on my own almost straight after my injury.

What tends to still get to me is after jumping in bed realising ive forgotten my water/caths/remote/nightie/book/whatever and then having to just accept it or get out of bed again! lol

Enjoy your independence!

Comment

I had to learn to become independ about 3 or 4 months after coming home from the hospital. My mom slipped and fell down the temporary wheelchair ramp that we had, and shattered her femur. She was in the hospital almost a month. I still had an aid that came in the morning to help with my BP, since I coulnd't get into the bathrooms.

_____
              Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
              Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

I`m home alone all the time...Dont sweat the small stuff! If only my computer could talk,my tv does.I wish that darn phone would stop ringing >> matt just pulled the phone cord out of the wall. "Peace and Quiet"

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

[This message was edited by Stiggy on 07-12-04 at 02:56 PM.]
                "The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Comment

First time my parents left me alone a visit home for the weekend out of rehab... fell out of my chair and laid on the carpet till they returned 2 hours later All they saw was an empty chair when they walked in. Think they thought a miracle occured till they heard me mumble, "I'm down here". [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

have fun!!
                  Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I think it is sad that with the shorter lengths of stays in current rehab centers, one of the things that has been let go is an Independent Living Training Apartment (or similar program).

At our center we have this small apartment where all of our new injury SCI clients spend 3-7 days prior to discharge (while still attending regular therapies, etc.).

If they will be home alone when they go home, they are in the apartment alone. They have to cook, clean, do their personal care, etc. We check on them every shift (nursing) and are available for emergencies. Many of our clients have no family and have no one to live with. When they are discharged, it is often to an apartment alone. Getting through this ILTA experience allows them to practice, and to feel more confident that they can do it on their own.

If the client is going home with family caregivers, we will still do the ILTA stay, but the family member stays in the ILTA with them and provides the care (of course we have already done teaching with this person). Again, families always say they feel so much more confident about their abilitites to manage after the ILTA experience.

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Spoke too soon. A family member who shall be nameless but who looks and sounds just like my mother, decided SHE could not let me stay alone. I was all set and I got to enjoy most of the day before the party ended - fed myself and the dogs, did dishes and tidyed up while blasting Mindi Abair throughout the house. Oh yeah, I left lights on in rooms I wasn't even using! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, maybe you should tell the family member to just be on call or just check in? I mean really, it would be good for you to be on your own. Who knows what sort of adventures you might encounter!

My husband (T8 comp) was on his own over night at about the six month point. No problems except he had to do a couple of extra transfers when he forgot to turn off the light before getting into bed!

I have to admit it is hard on the moms. His mom does that sort of thing too. It is hard to be patient and wait for him to reach something or do a hard transfer on his own. *I* have to just go away sometimes! He did fall out of the chair once when he was by himself for about an hour, but he made it to the bedroom and was halfway onto the bed when I found him. He's stronger now and could probably get back into his chair, definitely onto the bed. You just never know til you (have to) try I guess.
                        AB wife of T8 complete para

Comment

Other tips:

Leave a hanger around, it's good for reaching things that fall or a tad out of reach

pencil and gum: chew gum, pop on end of pencil. Good for picking up papers and tiny items

Don't lean over w/o hooking your arm around the push handle

tell the surrogate mom you have her number and you NEED to do this
                          Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Liz is right!

Comment

Belle it's too late - Mom returned home choosing NOT to go away with the other family members. Her opportunity to go with them has passed. She knows of my disappointment and even some anger over her reversal. This is her issue NOT mine. I am ready to be alone, would even LOVE to be alone and stated that.
                              I don't hear a great deal of positive reinforcement at home, in fact quite the opposite. I fight daily against this knowing it's detrimental effects. This is just one more in a frustrating series.

Comment

Working...
                              X