Musical instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical instruments

My beloved Deering banjo and 19th century violin really helps to keep a balance mind. I played the cello as a child but it wasn't until following my SCI I took the instruments seriously. I discontinued the cello and chose the violin for obvious reason. It also conveys my immense gratitude to our Merciful Creator for the privilege of my fingers (T-4). I find this especially true for a socially inept recluse! Cheers!
    Chae Wolterbeek

Column -

Rusty C4/C5 Quad [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

Noah: Do you have enough lung capacity to play it well?
      Chae Wolterbeek

Comment

Rusty-
        your story is wonderful! Thank-you for sharing. I see you've written a couple books, do you also write music? I'm sure with the training you've had, it would come naturally to you. Once again, thank-you for sharing with all of us.

'Chelle
        L-1 inc 11/24/03
        'Chelle
        L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

I play guitar

Comment

My husband played drum set. He can not do that anymore since he no longer has any use of his legs. However, he found a MIDI controller (ZenDrum) and a drum machine (actually two) and plays electronically now! He has played two paying gigs with his band and they have more coming up this summer. It is really cool...and it's interesting to watch the crowd members being curious about what he is doing and where the drum sounds are coming from!
            AB wife of T8 complete para

Comment

Belle

Cool - the main problem would be the bass drum and the high hat which are usually played with right and left foot respectively I think. Might have that the wrong way round. (also depends on if left or right footed)

Comment

Originally posted by BroknWing:

Rusty-
                your story is wonderful! Thank-you for sharing. I see you've written a couple books, do you also write music? I'm sure with the training you've had, it would come naturally to you. Once again, thank-you for sharing with all of us.

'Chelle
                L-1 inc 11/24/03
                I've never written music... poetry, short stories, essays, newspapper column's and novel's but no sheet music.
                www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

I renewed my interest in playing the cello immediately following 9/11/01. It became my oasis from the after effects of that event. It took a year after my SCI (5/2/03) for me to take the cello out again and begin to 'make noise' with it. I'm still perfecting seating and support for my torso, and in the meantime just seeing that work of art on it's stand over in the corner is music to my ears [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Cymbals 24-7 baby..... [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Comment

I'm a guitarist who can't play guitar. Mmmhmm. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Now on a serious note: Grade 8 piano, grade 8 violin, grade 5 flute, love to play guitar. And I used to be in the choir....

Here are a few words used in music language...

libretto: is the text of an opera, it comes from 'libro' (book), in Italy you would call any certification a libretto, e.g. the sheet of paper you get if you buy a car to prove that it is yours (libretto di circulatione), if you buy shares....and so on.

aria: a song (solo) in an opera

recitativo: the sentences in an opera which are no arias or duetts or terzetts , just telling the story

staccato (stacc.): staccare = to separate, you would not combine two (or more) sounds like haaaa, you would sing (or blow if it is a flute) ha,ha,ha,ha.....you would blow out the air for each sound anew (one breath with interrupted output: hu hu hu like a locomotive)not to be mixed up with tr (tremolo): continuous breathing out but you let your voice tremble.

falsetto: to sing as if you would have a fistula in your throat

adago: slowly

andante: without special intonation, normal, andara = walking

moderato: moderate

moderato affettuoso: sing (or play if it refers to an instrument) as if you would be touched moderately,

affettuoso: sing with the accent of passion

p (piano) : still

pp: very still

tranquillo = pssst

f (forte) : strong, with power

ff : with much power

tempo = speed

affrett. (affretto) = increase speed

rit. (ritardando = slow down, retard

rall. (rallentando) = reduce speed

allegro = merrily, cheerful, easy

allegretto = moderate merrily

con allegria = in merrily mood

stent. (stentatamente) = the opposite of allegro = troublesome, clumsy, rough

con brio = 'vivant', vivacious, lively

allegro con brio

deciso = decidedly, firm, determined

largo, largamente = broad, voluminoso

cresc. (crescendo) = growing, increasing volume and loudness

più = continue; e.g. più f., più p., più cresc.

assai = much, enough (assez in French), e.g. rit. assai, meno mosso e dolce assai = less moved and sweet enough

refrain = repeat

etc.

Please continue if you know some more...

"Well YOU may not play guitar, but I play guitar...AND I LOVE IT!"

[This message was edited by OneBlueNatalie on 07-07-04 at 11:55 PM.]

Comment

I play guitar and have developed tendonitis in my right elbow. It's a sharp pain that will not go away.

I'll have to get a cortisone shot and not use my arm for a month.

That'll be really easy.

<i style="color: #666; font-size: .6em;">The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.</i>
                        The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.

Comment

I took up banjo recently. I play guitar, ukulee and bass, but the banjo and ukulele and are my faves.

I found a banjo with a cracked and split neck. I got it for 65.00 from musicians friend. I took a chance at my first major neck repair, and as it turns out, the repair was perfect, so yay, solid aluminum pot banjo for 65 bucks.

Comment

I've played guitar for 53 years, banjo for 40 and just picked up the tenor Ukulele.

I had trouble with postioning playing them,though I still do. With the uke, it's a delight to be able to hold it with my left elbow more tucked in for support. The runs are so much easier to do and love the sound.

I joined our local ukulele group and it feels so good to be jamming with others again.

Comment

what you playing on ukulele mr patrick?

and look at ukulele underground.com

Comment

Working...
                              X