Ever think.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever think.....

that something bad is bound to happen when things are just frickin' amazing in life? I sometimes wonder why I can't just be happy. And I can't figure out if it's because I feel like I don't deserve it, or this feeling of impending doom is just some form of post-traumatic stress disorder due to my SCI.

Anyone else experience this?

~And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all- Socrates~

That seems to be my life story, just when things start to get good, something hapens to smack me back down.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Anyone else experience this?
      yep! I was told it has to do with the levels of seratonin(sp?) in your brain. You can take something for it like Zoloft. If it lasts longer than a few days I would talk to your doc. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

T-10 complete
      10/08/01

T-10 complete
      10/08/01
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

It does happen, that's why we think it! Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and once again we and those nearest us are forced to deal with it. This life as a SCI can bite my ass! [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
        "Don't Die Wondering" _ Alicia Molik

Comment

[img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Bad things happen to everyone. When things are going great, it's pretty much a given that something bad will happen at some point [maybe near, maybe not] in the future. Likewise, when things are going bad, it's pretty much a given that something good will happen in the future. Either way, we just don't know when they will happen.

Rhetorical question time: If things are going good, should you be enjoying the good or be dreading the bad that will eventually happen? If things are going bad, should you be wallowing in misery or be working towards and looking forward to the good?

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but just some thoughts. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

In response to your question, though, the answer is yes for me.

-Steven
          ...picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies
          ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Whenever I feel like things are going very good in my life I get a lil nervous because there is something bad bound to happen.

I was pretty wild before I got shot but about six months before I was shot I started getting my life on track and things were going well but then I got shot, it took a long time until I started feeling good about life again and then my brother died. I'm feeling pretty good about everything right now..........and am wondering when the next whammy is coming lol

Jack
            "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

Comment

Originally posted by jack9166:

..........and am wondering when the next whammy is coming lol

Jack
              SCI is the big permanent whammy!

I'm a fairly happy person so when things are going well for me I dont think about the stuff that can go wrong. One thing I do notice though is even when I'm at my happiest, I cant stop imagining how much happier I would be without sci.
              _____oOo_____
              Phil C6
              "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

If things are frikkin amazing in life for you, in the present, then you are apparently happy, no? Take a moment to breathe in all that is amazing. Appreciate it. Afraid it won't last? It may, it may not, but preoccupation with it possibly not lasting will likely ensure that it won't. Self-fulling prophesy. It can be very easy to sabatage the very thing you are wanting desperately to have.

You know.... if what you have now, or whatever happiness you want to hold onto, doesn't last, you've at least had that experience and your life having been enriched as a result. Happiness can also result from new experiences and exploring change. You need to embrace these as opportunities to creating greater happiness for yourself rather than resigning to fear and circumstance.

Comment

All the time here .. but I've learned that thinking that way is very tiring and will age you/depress you.

It's just my experience and we were both injured young ... but my experience was that being a paraplegic got harder as I got older (and still continues to do so) because then you start to realize how much harder things are for you and what you're missing out on as you attempt the normal things of life. That started in my late twenties ...
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Sometimes that just the way it goes! seem's like everything is OK and something comes and knock's you right down. whether you have a SCI or not, but to us I think it seem's to be so much more tramtic.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

I feel like that all the time, everytime I feel really well I start wonder what medical problems is going to come up next.

Comment

I try to avoid it if at all possible [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey Globe,ever think maybe your thinking to much? Personally ive never encountered this problem but ive heard it can happen.. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Comment

Gee Patrick - is it that simple? I take it you didn't believe whoever told you that.

Globe - can't answer that question honey, but if something wonderful happens we must try not to assume something horrible is bound to follow..hopefully we go back to being 'just' happy as you say

SCI can make us think life's against us but it's just life

Comment

Working...
                          X