Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual vs. Reality

Is this all real, or just virtual.

Someone keeps telling me this is not real, anything said here or anywhere else on the Net is just Virtual. We shouldn't be offended by or take anything seriously here. It's just Virtual. If we wanted Reality, we would turn off our computers and get REAL.

Ok, fine, I'm gonna tell you right now that I have never been anything but my REAL self here. Am I the only one?????? If so, tell me now, cause I don't want to be here anymore if it's not REAL.
    Do not live your life in fear of your own government because the moment that you do, is the moment they rule you.

Me

This site and it's members are REAL to me.

[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The site, intentions, and purposes are real. Members are obviously real, but some use the virtual aspect to hide behind, portray an alternate self-image, and even be a nuisance. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Stick it out, there's a lot to learned and be a part of, good and bad.

Ain't go no smart, meaningful, or deep-thought-inducing quote. That mean anything??
      Every day deserves a little time off.

Comment

Yes, it means alot. People need to be real here and not hide behind a moniker.
        Do not live your life in fear of your own government because the moment that you do, is the moment they rule you.

Me

Comment

BTW, I am not speaking about my hubbie. He does not feel this is VIRTUAL, he feels the same way I do. This is someone on a chat who keeps telling us it's VIRTUAL.

Me

Comment

People who think like that are the same people who say hateful things to others online because they feel it "doesn't matter" since it's just "virtual." They say and do things online they would NEVER do to someone's face, because on here they can hide in the anonymity of the internet. The way I view those people, they are just like schoolyard bullies who cut others down to make themselves feel big, only they're too chicken to do it "in the schoolyard" so they come do it online and convince themselves that we aren't real people with real feelings.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"
            "Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"

Comment

dd;

it is real, a godsend, i would be lost w/o cc. and it continues to evolve and expand. do not listen to any naysayers.

john
              "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

It's real. The feelings and hurt people experience are the same, whether the words are read on a monitor or said in real life. To me, that makes them real.

Pb, nice avatar. Is that you? [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Steven
                ...dear kindly judge, your honour, my parents treat me rough, with all their marijuana, they won't give me a puff, they didn't wanna have me, but somehow I was had, leapin' lizards, that's why I'm so bad
                ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

I think most of the people here are really who they say they are. Every now and then, I've gotten a weird feeling, that maybe someone was just yanking our chains, but in that case, oh well, people yank our chains "out here" sometime too. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] I think what has been said is true though. Too many times people may not consider "on-line people" to be real and treat them as such. I get just as offended when someone is nasty to me on-line as I do in person. And on the flip side, I appreciate the people I know only on-line just as much as I appreciate the people "out here". [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Goofball:

The site, intentions, and purposes are real. Members are obviously real, but some use the virtual aspect to hide behind, portray an alternate self-image, and even be a nuisance. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
                    I agree with that. Obviously the people are real, most of the situations are real, and most of the feelings expressed are real. But, maybe some people create this alternate persona that has more courage, more attitude, more balls, or more intelligence than they do in "real" life. On here you can backspace, delete, edit, or erase the words that come from your fingers before anyone even reads them. In reality once those words come out of your mouth, no matter how much thought you put into them, they're out. No editing in reality.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                    Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
                    - Alan Kay

Comment

Now that you say that Amanda, I guess I'd have to say that I am actually NOT who I really am here, as oppossed to "out there". In person I am much more open and will share a lot more with you. I will take more risks in discussing things with you, because if I put my foot in my mouth, I can immediately say.."no wait, I didn't mean it like THAT"...and try again. I hate to post something and come back only to find I wasn't clear or someone misunderstood and now there's a problem. So, you are right, I suppose maybe I DO have a different self here...not different really, just limited. Wow, there's even MORE of me when you see me "out there"? [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That's gotta scare a few people! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe it's all real: the people, the emotions, the friendships, etc. However, my experience has been that when I try to tell members of my family about my online friendships or issues, that looks comes across their faces like: oh no, she's going to start talking about her imaginary friends again.

However, my sister, who's also been involved in several forums for years, can sit with me and discuss all the angles, details, etc. She knows where I'm coming from.

What's fun is meeting these people in person, talking to them on the phone, or even just seeing them on a web cam. They really become real then. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by X:

In person I am much more open and will share a lot more with you.
                          That's interesting that you feel that way. I'm the exact opposite -- I'm more open online because I'm more comfortable with communicating in this medium than I am face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond Downs:

Yes, it means alot. People need to be real here and not hide behind a moniker.
                            Is your real name Diamond Downs?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
                            accept no substitutes

Comment

Don't let these people fool you into thinking they are 'real'. This site was created as a place for pretenders/wannabees to come and virtually live out their fantasies of having an SCI. All these stories you hear of people shitting & pissing themselves, getting sores on their asses, falling out of their chairs, having erectile dysfunctions, desiring a cure, etc.. are all fake. We only wish we were all so lucky to actually live these joys! For example member Chris2, probably the biggest whiner about SCI here is actually a world class able bodied downhill ski racer with all kinds of money, chicks, and happiness. Yet throughout the day a part of him wishes he were a miserable cripple that desired to be cured, carecure provides a place for him to come virtually live out being this person. Although if someones fantasies/stories get too unbelievable we have to out them as the pretender/wannabee they are (go back and look at parapal's posts). We have to keep our community of virtual SCI lives believable and as real as possible, so we can't be having shitty story tellers here.

*signs off from virtual cripple life on carecure to go jogging* [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X