driving quad questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving quad questions...

Question for quads who drive from their manual chair in an easy-lock... how do you maintain trunk balance?... I'm assuming i'll need a chest strap. Any ideas? Do you take it on and off your chair, or does it always stay on?...I have a jay2 contoured high-back on my chair which offers a little bit of side support, but not near enough for driving.

Also any suggestions on the best hand controls for c6's w/ no hands and very little triceps but good wrist extention?

do any quads transfer to a 6-way seat or has anyone considered it?

thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

"The essense of Greatness is the Perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson
    www.ableminded.net

I have a power chair with an easy-lock. I used to have a chest strap I took on and off but for the last eight years I drive into a sling system that combines the regular front left hand portion of the seat belt, but instead of latching into the floor, I latch it into the seat belt directly behind me that used to go to the seat I removed. This not only provides trunk stability forward, but keeps me from falling off to the right.

I control left lateral movement simply by using my elbow on the window ledge. I have a full size van and it works for me. I haven't tried it on a mini-van, but don't anticipate any problems. It works for me and I have 120K on this van.

If this sounds like something you might want to try. I could send a picture.

Ken

Comment

u couldnt pay me to drive from my chair, or drive a van. im inc c4-5, little grip no triceps, ive always drove cars, transfer is easy as well as chair breakdown, id consider a car or at least transfer to the drivers seat of a mini van

as for hand controls i just use standard mpd real simple and cheap 250 installed
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I drive from a six way.If you can transfer yourself i would say it's the way to go.Im a 5/6 and im in and rollin in just a few minutes.Like fuentejps said theres noway i would drive from my chair if i didnt have to.For hand controls i use Sure grip there awsome,best ive ever had..WWW.suregrip-hvl.com

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Comment

Im just wondering. Shaun and fuentejps what are the disadvantages of driving from your chair?

Comment

Spaceboy,

I drive from my chair and use a chest strap. Called a grand-mar belt I believe. It is attached to the push handles of the chair.

I only use it when driving. When not, it simply falls down the sides of the chair between my body and the armrests. So you needn't worry about wheeling around with a chest strap on looking like a goof. I know that was my concern too.

Although some may say I still look like a goof... [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

- often the chairs aren't as stable as a normal seat.

- they don't often provide as much back & head support as a normal seat.

- wheels & all, they're often wider than a normal seat, offsetting the driver from the wheel.

that being said, it's a lot faster to just clip a WC in & go. I've driven from my chair since I started driving again (late '99) without problem, but don't particularly care for it... although it was nice being in school & everything. Some days I'd easily make a dozen or more short trips.

either way, I'm transferring for driving in my next vehicle. I'm C6 inc., w/ triceps. Never found a need for more support than a normal seatbelt. I have one of those grand-mar belts still collecting dust in its original state somewhere around here.

Comment

shaun, you are c5/6 complete? I think you are most similar to me, so can you give me more feedback on pro's cons of transfering to seat?

Also, you use manual or power?

Scot, why did you decide to transfer after driving from chair. Convenience was a factor, since you were getting in/out car frequently, so is this less factor now, and if so, why?

Thx All!
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

Comment

whats a 6 way seat?

do any of you have spasms?
                  my spasms have prevented me from driving?
                  shaun do you have triceps as a c5/6?

Comment

Originally posted by melikeconan:

Im just wondering. Shaun and fuentejps what are the disadvantages of driving from your chair?
                    i run a colours eclipse chair and i run it very tippy(lite frt end)w/ a low back. id be on my back. besides feels great getting out of the chair to drive. driving from a chair cant be safe. dont just do it because you think its "easier"
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

DA a six way swivels left-right,up-down and forward-backwards.My spasms are'nt bad i have weak tricep on the left and trace on the right.

Chick i was told i was complete but who knows.I use a manual.Speaking for myself here of course,the cons i guess would just be the extra wear&tear on the shoulders.The pros for me are just to get out of the chair for awhile.I find it a lot more comfortable sitting in a big cushy captains seat than my little 15x15 ass cracker.I think it would be safer to,but i dont know for sure about that.So i guess it's really just comfort thing.

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Comment

chick:

a) I'm much more mobile & a good bit stronger than when I started driving (the summer after my accident in '99). My initial drive-from-my-chair setup has worked well, but I have this little thing inside of me telling me I can physically do more.

b) I'm getting tired of being in this chair most all of the day. Any breaks to resume some sense of normality is welcomed [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

c) my next potential vehicle... well, there's no real way I could drive from a WC anyway. I'm working on modifying a jeep... more on that later.

d) comfort.

convenience is still an issue, but as most things go, it'll get better over time. I'm still out and about a lot, almost every day. Sure, transfers will take a little longer, but I'm sure I can find the time to allow for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyCrip:

Spaceboy,

I drive from my chair and use a chest strap. Called a grand-mar belt I believe. It is attached to the push handles of the chair.
                          anybody have a picture of this?

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni

Comment

shaun,

do the suregrip controls require any finger control or triceps? How long after your injury did it take you to transfer independently into the 6-way seat?

"The essense of Greatness is the Perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson
                            www.ableminded.net

Comment

anybody have a picture of this?
                              I'm not sure what brand chest strap I have, but it's got a got a large D ring that makes it pretty easy to put on and off. I'm a c 4/5 quad.

http://homepage.mac.com/bradd/Menu9.html

Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X