No announcement yet.

SCI T12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a snowmobile accident. I was launched into the air and I don't remember anything else until I woke up trying to get a breath of air. I am guessing I landed on my butt as well. I crushed my L1 (it now half as thick as it was) and a piece of bone bruised my spinal cord. Luckily the piece of bone slid back out of my spinal cavity. Because of this the neurosurgeons decided to take the conservative approach and not do surgery to fuse the bone. So, I had to lay flat on my back for 5 weeks while the bone set. It seemed like an eternity at the time, but now I am glad they didn't cut me open. They would of had to go in from the front and who knows what else could have happened as a result of the surgery.

I haven't had a problem with loose bowels yet, but I do have to make sure there is nothing ready to come out before I go and do any physical activities. Learned that the hard way....

Comment

Kap & Yoink
      Do either of you have problem's with you r balance? I do! I have to use a cane for it plus my right leg is weak
      Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Duge, I have problems with my balance. I'm interested in hearing from others also. I can balance fine when I'm sitting (as long as my thighs touch the chair since I can't feel with my butt) or kneeling but when I stand I fall right over. I know I'm falling but my ankles aren't strong enough to stop me from falling. I've got AFOs that almost go to my knees and I've learned that I can balance with them by leaning back and locking my knees. Stood unassisted for 5 minutes yesterday - that's the longest I've gone without having to grab something. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003
        T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

Hello all. I just wanted to say hi. Last nov I fell 25 feet from a ladder, resulting in my incomplete L-1 SCI. In addition I broke both heels, fractured my sternum & skull. It's been just over six months now & I'm still getting used to everything. I'm going through aquatic therapy and that is helping my balance tremendously. Thanks Mike for starting this thread.

'Chelle
          'Chelle
          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Hi all~

Mike, thanks for this thread! I read everyone's responses and it's been very interesting. My daughter is a T11/T12 complete injury, five years down the road. My SO is a L1 (burst fracture) four years along. My daughter's in a chair and hasn't recovered anything, but my SO walks without assistance. He does have trouble with balance sometimes, and he can't stand for long periods of time. I think people forget about his injury and are suprised when he has to sit, or is in pain.
            So many differences, and yet so many similarities!

Vicky

P.S. I was reading the comments about rods; both my "sweeties" have had their rods removed, and are very glad they did!

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
            ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Hello ,thanks for starting this tread. I am t11 t12 had a wall fall on me at work. I can walk with the use braces and a walker. I'm going to Sci steps for the summer hope to see some return or at least help with some of this pain. My wife and I will be at Rally for the cure hope to see some you there.

Comment

Mike
                I hear ya on the ankle strength. Have you ever done any heel pump's while lying down? It has helped me alot but they are still not strong
                5 minutes that's goood I can't stand that long maybe 30 second's before I have to hold onto something.
                SCI Mom
                I think alot of people tend to forget that alot of us walker's hurt when we do walk and they don't understand when you have to sit down. And also I don't think they even have a clue as to what type and how severe the pain can be.
                Rocky
                Good luck with the sci steps Hope it goes well for you and keep us posted on your progress!!

Mike this is really turning out better than I thought it would seem's there are alot of injuries like our's oh yeah one little thing where I worked at the Union turned down a contract that would have required everyone to take very very deep insurance cut's and do away with 550 job's so they decided to close the doors and move it all to Michigan at midnight tonight so Monday is the last day I will have Health Insurance!! not sure what I can do now.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Rocky, please keep us posted on how things go at SCI Step. I keep thinking of contacting Project Walk. How did you choose SCI Steps over the others? Right now I'm still trying to get back into my old life - but I see attending a place like this sometime in my future. Thanks.

Comment

Fod Duge: This is my afo. (Ankle to Foot ortotic). I wear it on my rt foot. It flexes at the ankle. It is in two parts. It seems to have a few functions: keeps my toes from curling under and keeps my ankle flexed so I don't drag my foot. Also help keep knee from hyperextending.

It is a far from perfect system, but at least I can walk with it. I know you've currently got insurance problems, but I really think you may need these. Good luck to the lumbars-Beth

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Good picture Beth. Interesting that yours has straps on the foot portion. I've had 2 sets now and both fit inside me shoe - so the only strap on them is up near my knee.

Duge, have you heard about SSDI yet? Sure hope you can figure something out for health insurance. I know I always pay my health insurance bill as soon as it comes in - don't want to lose that.

Comment

Betheny-Your AFO's look like what we've been trying to figure out what I need for mine to stay on. I have lots of problems with mine not fitting right, being uncomfortable in my shoe, causig pressure marks on the top of my feet, or pulling off of my feet because they only have the velcro at the top like Mike described. Did you have the additional velcro specially added or did they provide them that way? Also I noticed that your look significantly thinner than mine are, is that also something specially done for yo? I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be done for mine.

Duge-
                        It's my understanding that by federal law, your employer will have to offer you Cobra coverage for 18 months. I've got mine from my former employer prior to my fall. It can be somewhat pricey, especially if you are not employed but well worth it. They have to supply you with a certificate of coverage so that if you apply for future/different insurance during your coverage period you don't fall under pre-existing condition clauses. The HR dept. of your employer should have the info for you. THey are required to give you 90 days to enroll from your "qualifying incident" date. You may want to talk to HR as soon as possible to get your information.

'Chelle
                        'Chelle
                        L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Hi - My daughter, Karen, is a burst T12, incomplete, as of September 18, 2001. She can walk now with no assistance (except small braces) on flat terrain, and with one cane if it is uneven or long distances.

Karen's first set of braces were much like yours, Bethany, except they fit inside a boot or larger shoe. Are they above the knee? Karen's are just below the knee. She has just been fitted for her 4th set of braces, mostly for her drop foot. She has more trouble walking barefoot or with slippers, around her apartment though.

Karen was very fortunate to get quite a bit of return back, but by evening after a lot of physical work or walking, her feet are very painful.

It looks like there are lots of T12's, and none the same.

Her surgery was from the front (thoracic), with the removal of one of her ribs to reconstruct T12 with a Titanium cage, fusing T11, T12, and L1.

Darlene

Comment

Mike
                            Not yet have had to go to one of their Dr.s I think he going to send me to a Nurologist so going through all the step's
                            Beth not sure if one of those would help me or not!
                            BroknWing
                            See they went on strike so it may not apply. the company brought in like thug's for security gaurd's and they would rush the picketer's and beat them with belt's and stick's they brought Blood an many!! and even knocked women to the ground and beat on them. If a company that you work for all your life care's about you one bit they don't bring in people to do thing's like that!! and they just wanted to move the part's we made which made them alot of money to a plant that looses money so they will make it now. We are just a small plant, and they just want to get rid of it!basicly, It is very nasty!! So I don't think there is any need to even try. All I can do is wait and try to get SSDI there is no way I could work anywhere now as I can't stand to sit or stand for any length of time.
                            Karen's Mom
                            Her surgery sound's about like mine,except they went through my side I'm not sure if they took all of a rib or just part but I have the same kind of fushion I know exactly how her feet feel! I can't walk barefooted too much pain

Duge

Mike sorry to put about where I had worked in this thread Just hurt's so bad to see what's happening to the people I worked with and cared alot about for 17 yr's
                            T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Mike
                              We got to get this thread going again! How many Hr's per day are you working now?
                              Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Hello all. I have a T-12 burst and broke 10 & 11. Fused from T-8 to L-1. Doc said my cord was like "hamburger". No feeling, no movement, no spasms, no b&b. Fell about 15' from my treestand archery hunting. I took my safety harness off to put my jacket on. Dont know how but I fell. [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

T-10 complete
                                10/08/01

T-10 complete
                                10/08/01
                                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Working...
                                X