Possible move to California...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible move to California...

....I'm just thinking about it [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] What do I need to know if I move there? I'm looking into Southern California, San Diego preferrably. I need PCA's and accessible housing. Even though I also want a job when I move there, in the meantime I need to be on affordable housing, SSI, and CA Medicaid (then once I find a decent FT job I'd want to get off state services). I have to wait a year before I'm eligible for CA state services, correct?

Btw, my bf (who is AB) would be moving with me. He'll be looking for a teaching job.
    May the fetus you save be gay

If you are on SSI you automatically qualify for California Medicaid and other state services. Residency requirements apply to college, but I've heard even those can sometimes be waived.

Comment

San Diego, CA. has nice weather, and I am sure you will enjoy living there. With the current budget crisis, services such as MediCal, school tuition, state jobs are all taking hits. You will want to plan out everything ahead of time before you make your move. You can find affordable housing in San Diego, and I don't believe you are looking for or qualify for Section 8 housing.

Since you mentioned PCAs, you may have to deal with in-home support services, IHSS.

PN
      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
      --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
      ––Paul Nussbaum
      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Median cost for a new home in San Diego is now $380,000.00 and rising. Rental for a single bedroom apartment (not accessible) is averaging $1200-1400/month. Section 8 waiting lists exceed 1 year in most areas. Waiting time for approval for paratransit is averaging 6-8 weeks.

Waiting time to apply for Medi-Cal (Medicaid) is 30 days of county residency. Waiting time for approval for IHSS (attendant care) is 2-4 weeks after approval of eligiblity. You must find and hire your own attendant who will accept the $8.75/hour the county pays. The county social worker will determine the number of hours of funded care you get. You cannot supplement their income with your own money, but can provide housing, meals or transportation.

Here are some helpful links:

http://www.accesscentersd.org

http://www.medi-cal.ca.gov/

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/In-HomeSup_173.htm

Have you considered Arizona instead? More affordable in all areas.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

wish i could live in san diego...it's just WAY too expensive, even in a bad neighborhood.

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. SCI Nurse, yeah AZ would be nice too. It just gets so hot there. Having a SCI makes it hard to regulate.

Comment

If you need home care, do not move to Arizona. They do not have a Medicaid system that can meet the needs of a quad. Basically, you need to have family who can provide your personal care or live in a nursing home. Yes, CA is expensive (as is NY) and there are budget concerns but CA has a Medicaid system far better than most states. NY, too. There's a trade-off... to get the Medicaid coverage you will have to live in a more populated, most likely more expensive state... to get lower living costs you have to give up some Medicaid coverage. A lot of times, you can't have both. I live on Long Island, NY and it's super expensive- but I get home care without having to fight to get it. There's pros and cons to everything. Weigh your options carefully.

Comment

This is not exactly an answer to your questions, however: I spent a week in san diego on vaction a couple of years ago and it seemed like it would be a blast to live there.

JP

Comment

Originally posted by Theophania:

Thanks for the responses guys. SCI Nurse, yeah AZ would be nice too. It just gets so hot there. Having a SCI makes it hard to regulate.
                  If you don't live near the beach in southern California (which you won't be able to afford on SDI, etc.) it's just as hot as Arizona...except on the worst of days.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
                  accept no substitutes

Comment

Kap, when I was in SD in March a few years back it was freezing. But I was near the coast most of the time. What other CA cities would you recommend then?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmyprettyface:

If you need home care, do not move to Arizona. They do not have a Medicaid system that can meet the needs of a quad. Basically, you need to have family who can provide your personal care or live in a nursing home. Yes, CA is expensive (as is NY) and there are budget concerns but CA has a Medicaid system far better than most states. NY, too. There's a trade-off... to get the Medicaid coverage you will have to live in a more populated, most likely more expensive state... to get lower living costs you have to give up some Medicaid coverage. A lot of times, you can't have both. I live on Long Island, NY and it's super expensive- but I get home care without having to fight to get it. There's pros and cons to everything. Weigh your options carefully.
                      Thanks Kimmy...your post 100% relates to me. And I definitely want to remain independent like I am now. Good info! *scratches off AZ on her "possible move to" list*

Comment

Originally posted by jpw:

This is not exactly an answer to your questions, however: I spent a week in san diego on vaction a couple of years ago and it seemed like it would be a blast to live there.

JP
                        JP, I totally know what you mean! I just fell in love with the people and culture there. Everyone was so fun-loving, artsy, open-minded...I would fit in perfectly [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hi Theophania,
                          I am a Minnesota transplant too. I grew up in the western suburbs of Minneapolis and I moved to San Diego in 1980. It was the best decision I have ever made. The Minnesota winters are too hard to deal with when you are in a chair. You can be outdoors here year round and not have to worry about wearing five layers of clothes. The San Diego area can have some diverse temps , if you live by the beach it will be naturally cooler and as you go far inland (like El Cajon) it warms up and can be like the desert. I initially moved to Point Loma which is near the water, very nice area but to costly. I later moved inland to La Mesa and found that area to be great all year. I'm living in the Los Angeles area now and really miss San Diego because the pace is much slower down there. I know they do have some of the highest electricity rates in the country. I do miss my Vikings and the Twins but two things from Minnesota I never miss, SNOW in the winter and MOSQUITOES in the summer, it's rare to see either of them in California.

~Dennis

Comment

Ummm...i live in arizona and it's not bad here...i'd rather deal with heat than snow...i'm also not on medicaid, but i do have a caregiver that the state can send...fortunately they pay my mom (or anyone else you'd like) to help you out. most people who move here came from california.

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

Comment

Working...
                            X