Them Darn Brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Them Darn Brakes...

I cant tell you how many times I have broke my thumb nail and even to the point where it took half the nail off.. [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img].I was wondering how many of you have banged up your thumb nails because of those darn brakes.
    Happy Trails Matt

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"
    "The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

never i use scissor brakes much better
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Never a thumb, but my wrists took a beating trying to learn how to go over curbs.

I need regular brakes. I live on a hill, there's no way I could get scissor brakes locked fast enough. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

_____
      Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
      Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Well for starters brakes no matter what shape or form are not meant to stop a rolling chair only for parking or to hold the chair during transfers.

Sissor brakes are the only way to go. Unless you are high functioning enough to do the no brake option

Comment

Speaking of the no brake option, just how many people actually do this? I need them to keep from drifting away from things in the house, and transfers...they are interesting enough with a ridiculusly light chair flying around sometimes, I cant imagine how that would be with no brakes. Those that have no brakes...do tell how you do it!

Comment

I dont use my brakes unless I'm on a hill getting in the truck. Its just easier to be able to move my chair out of the way when transfering. I did have my chair "run" away one time.

T-10 complete
            10/08/01

T-10 complete
            10/08/01
            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

I dont use breaks and I have found that u can hold the chair pretty still by grabbing the sideguard and the wheel in one grip. the immoble sideguard helps hold the wheel still(of course this only works if u have guards that are even with the wheels, not taller)

Comment

I use my brakes for transfers for the sake of safety. Because I know how my luck runs. [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

But as for sitting here on the computer right now, at the table, or wherever else, I don't really use them.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you! [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
                "Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"

Comment

Originally posted by Kanuck:

Well for starters brakes no matter what shape or form are not meant to stop a rolling chair only for parking or to hold the chair during transfers.

Sissor brakes are the only way to go. Unless you are high functioning enough to do the no brake option
                  If that was directed at me, I never said I use it to stop a rolling chair. Try locking scissor brakes on a 40° hill to get in a car, unload groceries or just getting the mail and paper.

_____
                  Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
                  Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Sorry Jim that's the way I read it.

Comment

We don't need no stinkin brakes. But if you do go the scissor route for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X