companion dogs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

companion dogs....

I am looking for a dog that is easy to maintain, compassionate and medium to small size. Friendship and stress reduction by my primary reasons for wanting a dog however I would like a breed that is intelligent enough to find someone and alert them if I need help. I would love to know people's experiences with different breeds.

www.caninecompanions.org
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

If you get Animal Planet on cable or satelite TV check out Cell Dogs on Mondays at 8 or 9pm ET. The dogs are mostly from shelters and are sent to prisons to train. Lots of mutts besides the pure breeds. Most popular on brains and companionship are Labs, Retrievers and border collies if you have a way to get them enough exercise.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Why don't you try to get a servicedog?

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...d/serv_dog.htm
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I just sent my dog to school last week!![img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] When I first started the lookout for a puppy I was in the search for a companion/service dog. I've come a long way since leaving the hospital. So, now I decided the same as you. I want her around more for the friendship and stress reduction. Man, they are so great to have around!
          Anyhow, Pumpkin is a lab. I got her from a guy who breeds strictly for champion retrievers(ducks/sporting).She is so smart and calm. Most people say labs are kind of hyper. I've never had one prior to the injury, so I can't say how most act. But, Pumpkin, OMG ...She honestly is heaven sent. Don't know what I am going to do while she is away. He is going to train her for basic obedience ( sit and stay when told( with no acceptions), come, etc.) This way I have no troubles with her by myself.

Also, my buddy has a border collie. With no professional training, hands down the smartest dog I've ever seen. So sweet and gentle too.

I say go for it. It is well worth it. As for breeds, I say; labs, golden retrievers, border collies. That is just my input. Good luck!

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
          Franklin D. Roosevelt
          "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
          - Alan Kay

Comment

Don't just look at purebred dogs. Often they have congential problems from over-inbreeding.

Please consider a rescued or pound dog. They need you.

Meanwhile if you want a small, intellegent, affectionate and fiercely loyal dog, I would recommend looking at a Dachshund or Dachshund mix. They are great lap dogs too.

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I agree with KLD about Daschunds. Had two when we were kids. Just really need a fenced yard or good place for most to romp in. They are very smart, fun, easy to bathe (yea, they'll jump in the tub with kids). But both of ours had a tendency to take off if the front door was open. They are great in that they are small enough to travel in the cabin with oyu in airplanes due to their size. Make sure you get a good background check if you are looking for a purebred. Mutts are much less likely to have the problems the purebred versions do.

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I have to take this opportunity to brag about the newest addition to our family. This is Kingston, a miniature American Eskimo. We've had him for 2 weeks, and in this pic he's just a day or two shy of 8 weeks, when we first got him.

Several years ago we had another American Eskimo, a truly great dog, and my wife couldn't resist this one when the opportunity arose.

Comment

Chaz19
                  I just saw this post. And the replies.
                  Yes..there is nothing like a dachshund..but
                  even the best conformed can genetically be
                  programmed to develope disc disease.
                  Requiring very expensive medical treatment..
                  from Solu-Medrol IV..to MRI's to surgery and
                  rehabilitation..they sometimes alike humans
                  don't regain functions..bowel..bladder..walking.

BUT..they are awesome. Loyal, intelligent,
                  protective, hunters extraordinare, and the
                  best friend you will ever have.

I would suggest a mixed breed. Terrier mixes
                  can be trained to do just about anything a
                  dog can do..and they have longer legs.
                  Good luck in your search.
                  There is no bad dog IMO.

<"();::::::::::;~
                  Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I spoke with the local veterinarian the other day and she recommended that I look into the breed called Shiba inu, and these canines traits are typically quiet, watchful and curious. They require very little grooming and housebreak easily. A special Japanese breed, has anyone had experience with these dogs. I love to know thoughts [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Other than seeing one on a recent TV broadcast of a dog show; no experience at all. But, here is the AKC site for the breed:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/shibainu.cfm

And the following gives ideas on where to find good breeders, rescue foundations (please consider rescue dogs!) and miscellaneous breed information.

http://www.shibaweb.com/

If you go with a full AKC dog look carefully at what disqualifies a dog from show. Other than the temperment that you need these flaws are often enough to make a champion bloodline dog affordable. These dogs are often the best dogs going as far as being properly socialized and the females are rarely overbred. But for a pet or service animal a dog's coloring or slight height difference from the regulations does nothing to hurt the dog's good qualities and really reduces the cost to you.

But again, rescue dogs are often the most loving friend you can ever find. The rescue organiztions adopt them into families until any flaws from rough handling or abuse is repaired. This means health, social interaction with humans, other dogs, cats, etc. Once they are certified as adoptable the foster familes help in making sure the dog and new partner (owner) and his/her family and any other pets get along.

Reading about these dogs does make them sound like great companions. Good size, loyal, no major health problems (check further on the teeth and any extra care maybe) and intelligent.Only question I would have is how the stock of animals came back after being almost extinct. Inbreeding can cause problems but from the AKC site I didn't see any mention of this.

Good luck!

Comment

I think we have quite a few dachshund fans here! I have a dachshund too...like kld said they are great dogs, particularly when it comes to affection and loyalty! My dachsie, when in a strange place, will follow me everywhere underneath my chair, she just moves with it.

But, she has also developed degenerative disc disease in her neck at only 7yrs of age, and this has cost me a fortune in vet fees. Ive always been VERY careful about not letting her jump up and down, but she still developed it. In saying that, I think its a problem that you have to be wary of in breeds such as corgis, dachshunds, bassets....the long body short feet sort of shapes.

I also picked up a labrador/kelpie cross from the pound who is just the best dog!! She is incredibly intelligent, and has alerted neighbours once i was transferring into the car and slipped. I was wedged down between the side of the car and the chair, and managed to reach up and honl the horn hoping my neighbours would hear. After a couple of honks Gemma starting barking and going crazy, and kept at it until my neighbours decided to check out what was going on. Now, if i honk the horn in the garage, she starts barking and going crazy, even 3 years later she hasnt forgotten.

Hope you have fun choosing!

Comment

Chaz, go to your local pound wheel/walk through death row. If you don't make a connection with some appropriate size dog, and I mean connection like when you meet a person you know you can trust, write back here and i'll start chewing on my hat. Nearly all dogs can be trained to do numerous tasks, for alerting to danger try a breed or Xbreed that was historically used as a sheperd type dog, collie alsation etc instead of say a hunting dog pointers or retrievers and the like.

Good luck.

Comment

we got a small Dog "PeekaPoo" before my accident. Now he is my buddy, he was before but when I came home he jumped from about 4 ft trying to get to me . He can sense when I am hurting and he start's licking me and now that has turned into a problem he want's to do it all the time. But anyway when I want unconditional love I just yell at him and he keep's me company! I have become More attached to him than any other we have ever had. he is our first housedog. he is like one of the family. He know's when something is not right or if I am taking a nap and someone comes around because I uasally never lock the door. If I'm the only one home and a stranger comes to the door he is very protective of me. What can I say he is my Best Friend!!!!

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions... little bear has already paid for himself in smiles

Comment

Working...
                              X